Anyone used super caps as filtering caps for low voltage applications?

Ittaku

38 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

The “in” voltage should be dropped down to just over what the reg is rated (talking fixed voltage regs)

There is usually a Vin(MIN) quoted or something similar (Vin-Vout=3V) for all regulators fixed or variable and will be different for each regulator.

This voltage is the minimum voltage needed maintain line regulation anything below Vin(MIN) etc and the rated output voltage will mean the regulator is not performing at its maximum.

The maximum input voltage is also to be taken into account as there is usually a maximum value quoted or / and an input - output voltage maximum.

Edited by soundbyte
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Then I have read; “why make an excellent power supply and then bugger it with a regulator”. For my better PSs I never use regs. They are noisy and bugger the sound. Not just with their noise. Use a study PS and dropping limiting resistors.

Pardon my ignorance, but what about reg tubes? My preamp has them whilst the lower spec one does not, though perhaps it has non-tube regs?

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

You may notice in my Hiraga perfect matched bipolar MC stage it ran on batteries. So the poor ripple riding 1F caps never had to fight the demon foe (hum). They were just there is as a super mass storage unit. And, as mentioned above, lighter quicker quieter 220uf low ESR caps were there to response to fast demands. Also I think I had 0.1uf decoupling caps across the whole shebang. 

Caps in an audio cct. even extremely good ones, induce distortion but in a PS grouping and ganging different caps can lead to quiet robust supply.

5 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what about reg tubes? My preamp has them whilst the lower spec one does not, though perhaps it has non-tube regs?

I have only used reg tubes as power tubes. Can’t comment accurately. My gut feel is it’s a whole new ball game and could be good.

Just now, mwhouston said:

I have only used reg tubes as power tubes. Can’t comment accurately. My gut feel is it’s a whole new ball game and could be good.

Great thanks. I speak of my preamp that conversely uses 6L6 based power tubes as reg tubes... hah. Also my power amps use 6550s as reg tubes. Seems the reg tubes and power tubes are one and the same. From my experience of those two components that I fell in love with, they're not doing anything bad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Great thanks. I speak of my preamp that conversely uses 6L6 based power tubes as reg tubes... hah. Also my power amps use 6550s as reg tubes. Seems the reg tubes and power tubes are one and the same. From my experience of those two components that I fell in love with, they're not doing anything bad.

But once more to flip this over to the “B” side. Regulation may not have been needed. So does the amp sound good because of regulation or regardless of regulation. I’m going with “regardless”. But I’m talking through my butt and my gut (not butt) says tube reg. should be good no buts. 

Edited by mwhouston

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

But once more to flip this over to the “B” side. Regulation may not have been needed. So does the amp sound good because of regulation or regardless of regulation. I’m going with “regardless”. But I’m talking through my butt and my gut (not butt) says tube reg. should be good no buts. 

It's a tricky one for sure. I'm pretty sure you can design anything good with almost any approach, and it's almost never the technology responsible per se. I'm currently really tempted to try the 160Ms which are getting rave reviews even though I'm still smitten by my 250SEs, and the 160Ms don't have tube regulation and have less power and less tubes yet cost just as much so the cost is going elsewhere...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ittaku said:

It would seem to me that getting adequate maximum voltage by chaining a few super caps of appropriate size would give you a ludicrous amount of filtering storage for low voltage applications, like 5/9/12 V. Has anyone tried doing this?

I use a (large) 1F 20V cap in my diy linear power supply for the music pc. 

But as you've identified, no good for filtering due to the high ESR, so mine is there purely to prevent glitches in the 12V supply due to brief interruptions in the mains supply, and it floats on the output of the discrete regulator where ripple voltage is low - in order to minimise internal dissipation. 

11 hours ago, Ittaku said:

No, they're ordinary electrolytic capacitors. Good ones nonetheless, but not super caps which are of different construction.

These are (overheated and leaking :( ) supercaps, we use them as 5S2P to give ~13V with an extremely fast discharge. Low? ESR of 2.2mOhm

20190307_083213 (Small).jpg

20190307_083405 (Small).jpg