Posted this elsewhere on SNA today, but I paid homage to RSD by purchasing second hand at a pop-up record store in Darwin. After a good clean I have been spinning our new acquisitions. So far have been excellent, especially Steve Winwood, Brian Ferry, Redgum and Women’s Coal Mining Songs. 

907F01C2-F14F-4810-BE3A-CD6728F62A99.jpeg

9A67981E-B95B-41EA-AECC-89B093643CC3.jpeg

Didnt bother going into.shops here in perth yesterday, but diabolik and Frank.Prowse had some nice goodies and offers going. 

Picked into diabolik today, pick up.the new version of dave sylvians GTE and rain tree crow. 

Very friendly there and the guy showed the New Order Movement boxset. Want going to get it as its $$$, alas im.a sucker for nice packaging 

RSD does seemed predictably to have turned into.something ugly - already on ebay im.seeing priced jacked RSD specials. 

I think I'm going to head back to work my way through this thread I've referenced below. 

While its great haphazardly finding gems in the store, it seems to be so much easier to  search/browse and order online, particularly when its not necessarily a recent release/repress that you're after. Plus, lately when I do go to the store , it seems I come away buying stuff full retail that I wasn't really looking for, or I've taken a punt on it. I end up only to listening to it a couple of times before its relegated to the bottom of the listening stack. You'd think I'd learn.... I could have invested that on actual items on my want list. 

On 17 April 2019 at 12:03 PM, wasabijim said:

I think I'm going to head back to work my way through this thread I've referenced below. 

While its great haphazardly finding gems in the store, it seems to be so much easier to  search/browse and order online, particularly when its not necessarily a recent release/repress that you're after. Plus, lately when I do go to the store , it seems I come away buying stuff full retail that I wasn't really looking for, or I've taken a punt on it. I end up only to listening to it a couple of times before its relegated to the bottom of the listening stack. You'd think I'd learn.... I could have invested that on actual items on my want list. 

Agreed after being bitten a couple of times , I'm very wary of buying records sound unheard. It's one thing to drop $20 on an unknown cd, but $40-60 and then find its a dud , hard to justify 

Edited by cafe67

On 17/04/2019 at 2:03 PM, wasabijim said:

While its great haphazardly finding gems in the store, it seems to be so much easier to  search/browse and order online, particularly when its not necessarily a recent release/repress that you're after.

Agreed!  :thumb:

Being neither retired nor unemployed, I don't have time to dig through crates, hoping to find something on my 'hit list'.  :)

40 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Agreed after being bitten a couple of times , I'm very wary of buying records sound unheard. It's one thing to drop $20 on an unknown cd, but $40-60 and then find its a dud , hard to justify 

Yes, a real problem.  In the 'old days', you could find - and listen to - 20 second tracks on Amazon, to see whether you liked the song/album.  Unfortunately, now Amazon don't seem to offer this service.  :(

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I was working in the morning on RSD, and only managed to get to Clarity Records on Pultney St in Adelaide at around 1:30pm. Still, I found a couple of things I was after plus a whole heap of other records I may or may not have been after. Needless to say, I left all my earnings at the store. 

As I work on every RSD, plus the fact that the day (as mentioned already on here) doesnt quite stand for what it used to, I don't usually bother with the mad dash to pick up an inevitable rarity. However, as I am a completest, I wanted to snag a copy of Paul Haslinger -  Halt And Catch Fire - Original Television Series Soundtrack Volume 2, but I had to wait until the inevitable online dump a week later. However, chuffed to acquire a copy before prices go through the roof (1000 copies pressed)

_MH19105.jpg

_MH19106.jpg

_MH19107.jpg

_MH19108.jpg

_MH19109.jpg

_MH19111.jpg

_MH19110.jpg

Edited by Hydrology

Paid out for a 2lp that turned out to only have 3 sides of music that was just a CD pressed to vinyl.

Sounds better on the CD which I already have and I've already traded it back for some store credit.

Not doing it again.

On 05/03/2019 at 6:18 PM, Goatboy said:

A few titles I'm keen on. My eyes are on the Frank Black repressings, originals being pricey. And I'll probably go for the Bingo Hand Job (REM) album as well.

Was the hand job to your liking? I'm wary of a lot of live recordings, unheard.

2 hours ago, givita_burl said:

Was the hand job to your liking? I'm wary of a lot of live recordings, unheard.

As an audience recording it sounds a lot better than it should. Michael Stipes’ vocals are prominent and the audience chatter is barely audible through most of it. 

The performance is acoustic, and the instruments are brought forward at different stages. 

If you’re looking for an audiophile experience this isn’t it, but it’s a great time capsule for REM, and I enjoyed listening to it. 

Edited by Goatboy