4K TV for movies only

10 hours ago, NormanD said:

That’s great, really good feedback thanks !!

With your models in mind, what are your views on the Sammy 82 inch NU8000 ?? 

Thanks

If you can get a good deal - have a look at it but dont expect a premium movie experience. That being said, I watched a Netflix 4K HDR movie on my 75" MU7000 (the predecessor to the NU 8000) last night and the HDR effect eas quite immersive. 

13 hours ago, NormanD said:

OK thanks, given all the feedback I think I’ll stick with the Sony 900F -$4,495 at JB at the moment... 

Good call. I buy all my gear at JB. They are fairly decent with returns so if you experience any blooming/backlight bleed or other issues dont hesitate to exercise your consumer rights.

Soooooo,

Went back round to the house again today, to get the benefit of Dolby Atmos, I’m going to move the sofa towards the TV by about a foot or so. This will mean from centre of TV to central seating position is 7 feet maybe 7.5 feet, so now I’m leaning towards the 65 inch OLED Panna again with the Panna UB900 4K bluray supplying the source material....... am I being too picky ??? ??

Edited by NormanD

21 hours ago, NormanD said:

Soooooo,

Went back round to the house again today, to get the benefit of Dolby Atmos, I’m going to move the sofa towards the TV by about a foot or so. This will mean from centre of TV to central seating position is 7 feet maybe 7.5 feet, so now I’m leaning towards the 65 inch OLED Panna again with the Panna UB900 4K bluray supplying the source material....... am I being too picky ??? ??

Why dont you save some bucks and purchase the 65" version of the Sony 900F which can be bought for around $2300. 

I can go to $4,500 on the TV and want to get the best possible picture quality, I’ll be getting the TV calibrated aswell.... I’m really leaning towards the FZ950 now given a 65 inch will do the job. 

Picked up the last 65FZ950 at my nearest Hardly Normal today $3,900

Question on a 4K bluray player now though, I was going for the Panna 820 but I hear the XBoX One S is a pretty good option aswell, especially for downloaded 4K content ... 

Your thoughts guys.

4 hours ago, NormanD said:

Question on a 4K bluray player now though, I was going for the Panna 820 but I hear the XBoX One S is a pretty good option aswell, especially for downloaded 4K content ... 

i have a pana 9000 and x box one X and have other uhd players prior. id get any of the players over xbox one x for playing discs. and i prefer the apple tv for streaming video and media replay over the x box one x. the x box one x is a good gaming machine though :) 

As Al said a dedicated player will always have circuitry that is optimised for video playback a games machine has to handle games as well with different aliasing requirements for a start :) The pana disc units have better tone mapping than any game machine as well as 12bit upscaling too.  As the FZ950 is limited to HDR10+ you don't need the dolby vision 820 per se ; check out the 420 as well and put the difference to some 4k discs maybe ?

And compare the apple 4k to the built in apps of the 420 and pick the better one If streaming is your go ..

• Like 1

I would assume Pana has 4K player app built in so you should be able to watch your downloaded content on hdd directly, it should also have standard streaming services such as netflix etc so no need for extra player, other option is Plex, if you plan to play UHD discs than check reviews and decide how much you’re willing to spend on UHD player

6 minutes ago, kukynas said:

I would assume Pana has 4K player app built in so you should be able to watch your downloaded content on hdd directly, it should also have standard streaming services such as netflix etc so no need for extra player, other option is Plex, if you plan to play UHD discs than check reviews and decide how much you’re willing to spend on UHD player

Hi mate,

Yes, most 4K content will be either downloaded or Netflix, Apple etc but I do also have a few discs I have been buying over the last year or so when I see a good deal, so need a 4K player. The 820 is now down to $549 from Selby Acoustic in Melbourne.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My rule of thumb is to buy the cheapest Samsung I can get in the size I want. You can then buy another one in 3 years time and still be in front rather than buy the best and brightest of the day.

Picked up the RU7100 65 today for $1300 which is about half the price of the lowest QLED series

On 16/03/2019 at 5:00 PM, NormanD said:

Soooooo,

Size matters... 

you wont have issues with a 75” at that distance. So I’ll get a 75” Sony or Sammy RU8000 over a smaller OLED. The Sony also supports DV, HDR etc. 

cheers