4K TV for movies only

Hi guys,

Been a long time since I been on here as my Sammy 60F5500 is still serving me well.

However, I’m about to move into a new house with dedicated media room and am looking at the best 4K TV, 65 inch - 75 inch for purely movies only.

The TV will be wall mounted with sound will be provided by a Sammy HW-N950 soundbar.

Not sure on what 4K bluray player to buy yet either...

Your feedback is welcomed

Thanks

Colin

Watching movies on television is enhanced by good contrast,, black levels and colour volume, amongst other things.  From a budget perspective, a full array local dimming (FALD) LCD/LED with a VA panel, may be the way to go.  The best value FALD unit at the moment IMO is the Sony X900F, the 65" version of which, can be picked up for low $2000s.  I own a Samsung Q8FN which is also another fine FALD TV with inky blacks and superb colour reproduction,  but you will be paying an extra $1000 or so for the 65". 

If your budget is more constrained you might like to consider an edge lit LCD which in the 65" size can be purchased for as little as $1000 (TCL).  The golden rule for edge lit TVs is to avoid IPS panels (LG, lower end Sony and Panasonic).  IPS panels traditionally produce sub par contrast and black levels but have superior viewing angles, so if off axis viewing is a priority then you might like to consider an IPS LCD TV.

2018 OLEDs are currently discounted across most major brands, LG, Sony, Panasonic etc and you can pick up a 65" set for as little as $3,200 in some of the major retailers.  I have never owned an OLED, so I can't comment on picture quality although, OLEDs are the preferred, reference level, technology for most reviewers due to the emissive technology that produces infinite contrast and superb colours. On the negative side, I understand that screen burn in, may be a problem if the unit is left on for long periods and a number of reviewers have also commented negatively on the presence of 'black crush' in dark movie scenes.

Hope this helps and good luck with you purchase.

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at Sammy Q9, Panna FZ950, LG C8 and then saw the Sony A9F at the weekend...

Room will be light controlled and absolutely no regular free to air channels or gaming, so very little or no risk of logo’s on screen....

Thanks

On 04/03/2019 at 9:40 PM, NormanD said:

Not sure on what 4K bluray player to buy yet either...

Another consideration depending on what brand or model of uhd bluray player you buy Colin is the HDR version your tv can accept . If you buy a Samsung for example a dolby vision disc wont be compatible but a HDR10+ will . The sony A9F does have DV capability as do LG's . Heres a list of DV discs from the US ; https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

As for displays that have both hdr metadata frame by frame methods [to cover whatever discs may be released] there is afaik one announced as coming and its an oled :) 

https://newatlas.com/panasonic-gz2000-oled-tv/57953/

Well damn, that looks like being the TV for me, the cost of a 65 inch may hurt a little...

What if I had two 4K bluray players, does it still come down to what the TV can accommodate?? 

2 minutes ago, NormanD said:

Well damn, that looks like being the TV for me, the cost of a 65 inch may hurt a little...

What if I had two 4K bluray players, does it still come down to what the TV can accommodate?? 

I should add the comments made were for the very best HDR that can be sent ; hdr10+ and dolby vision are both scene by scene or frame by frame applied . All discs have basic HDR10 which isn't scene by scene but 1 grade based on the whole movie [ so not as good as the 2 rival variable hdr formats..] This expands the tv options but loses out in quality..

Yes the bluray player is incidental ; there are a number of uhd bluray models that can send both variable metadata formats [the good stuff] from Panasonic [the 825 or 9000 ] or pioneer :)  A big consideration is what discs in what format will be released ; hdr10+ is royalty free unlike dolby vision so with warner bros backing it with others like amazon streaming its not to be ignored imho.

So yes the tv has to read the precise metadata or it may drop back to the hdr10 standard ; dolby vision has a better bit depth so is slightly superior to hdr10+ but the variable metadata is the most important.

The oppo203/5 has ceased production and a 2nd hand one is inflated in price due to supply demand . The Panasonics have better player based bit mapping from all accounts anyway :thumb:

OK,

So if I go with a Panna or Pio 4K bluray player and a Sony A9F I can watch HDR10+ which is the equivalent of Dolby Vision.

Or I can go with the Panna or Pio bluray player with a Panna FZ950 but only be able to actual watch Dolby Vision blurays.

Is that correct??

Thanks

2 hours ago, NormanD said:

So if I go with a Panna or Pio 4K bluray player and a Sony A9F I can watch HDR10+ which is the equivalent of Dolby Vision.

Or I can go with the Panna or Pio bluray player with a Panna FZ950 but only be able to actual watch Dolby Vision blurays.

Is that correct??

Back the front . The FZ950 can handle HDR10+ and the Sony handles Dolby vision . Its a bit wonky that pana uhd players handle both formats but not the displays..  The pana gz2000 oled is the latest from this years January CES ; it will take some months to come . 

It is to be hoped that more discs like Robin Hood turn up to negate this proprietary impasse B)

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1547624270

Edited by cwt

Ok, further update,

I measured the room up (TV wall mounted position to central seating position) and a 65 inch is going to be too small.

So I’m looking at 75’s now and have been reading up on the Sony 75X9000F, Sammy 75NU8000 or the LG75SK8000.

An OLED in this size is too much money so I’m onto LED

Any thoughts ??

Thanks

19 hours ago, NormanD said:

Ok, further update,

I measured the room up (TV wall mounted position to central seating position) and a 65 inch is going to be too small.

So I’m looking at 75’s now and have been reading up on the Sony 75X9000F, Sammy 75NU8000 or the LG75SK8000.

An OLED in this size is too much money so I’m onto LED

Any thoughts ??

Thanks

Hi Mate ,

I have 75 inch Panasonic FX780 and I am very happy with it. It throws an amazing picture. It is also much cheaper than the SonyX9000. But If you are to choose between the listed option than Sony is best followed by Samsung and LG last.

Cheers

2 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Hi Mate ,

I have 75 inch Panasonic FX780 and I am very happy with it. It throws an amazing picture. It is also much cheaper than the SonyX9000. But If you are to choose between the listed option than Sony is best followed by Samsung and LG last.

Cheers

Panasonic 2019 LCDs when released in a couple of months might be an option as Pana has reverted to VA panels - not sure whether a 75" is available though. 

Give some thought to a mid range Samsung LCD such as the NU 8000 which are now being run out in preparation for the 2019 models. Dont be put off by the edge lit panel as Sammy generally produce decent screen uniformity and local dimming algorithm.

If absolute PQ is a priority then the Sony FX900 is probably the best option due to the FALD backlight system.

wouldn't the new 2019 pana oleds be worth considering ? I would say in current state of play be THE panels at the moment with full native support across all dynamic HDR formats HDR10+ and  DV.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Yes, PQ is absolutely the priority as it will be a movies only TV, so I might go with the Sony FX900 as the reviews were very good and it will be wall mounted so the stand won’t be an issue for me.

Cheers guys

13 hours ago, NormanD said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Yes, PQ is absolutely the priority as it will be a movies only TV, so I might go with the Sony FX900 as the reviews were very good and it will be wall mounted so the stand won’t be an issue for me.

Cheers guys

Might be a good call as the 2019 successor, the 950G has already attracted a couple of negative reviews due to the new wide angle technology compromising black levels.

Pretty sure I saw a 900F 75" on special at JB for about $4000.

OK,

So the Sony X9000F is Dolby Vision and HDR10 but the Sammy Q6 is HDR10+ 

The Sony is backlit but the Sammy is edge lit......

No idea what TV to choose ....definitely needs to be 75 inch though.

Cheers

9 hours ago, NormanD said:

OK,

Cheers

I wouldnt pay a whole lot of attention to the HDR thing. The tech is still early stage so unless you are purchasing an OLED it wont be a major issue. Full array local dimming (FALD) backlit TVs will generally provide superior contrast in dark scenes to that of an edge lit unit but the difference is not "night and day".

I own a Samsung 65" Q8FN (FALD), a Samsung 60" KS8000 (edge lit) and a 75"Samsung MU7000 (edge lit). Ironically, the edge lit MU 7000 provides the best viewing experience for me due to the extra size, brilliant screen uniformity, nil dirty screen affect and very little blooming. The other two sets have blooming issues and DSE to some extent but are obviously superior in PQ and have the extra colour volume associated with the qantum dot technology.

In the 75" range, I would still go with the Sony 900F but you will get some nice results with the edge lit Q6FN if the price is right. I would avoid any LCD TV with an IPS panel (LG, lower end Sony and Panasonic) due to the poor contrast performance of that technology.

One final point- buying an LCD TV is a bit of a lottery in terms panel performance so dont hesitate to exercise you right of return if you are not satisfied

• Like 1

On 13/03/2019 at 11:39 PM, NormanD said:

OK,

Cheers

this is where the pana 2019 oleds come in as they cover both HDR10+ and DV :) you dont really want to be falling into hands of format war that sammy wants to play and sony are only at this stage keen to back one horse.

• Like 1