Hi guys,

Been a long time since I been on here as my Sammy 60F5500 is still serving me well.

However, I’m about to move into a new house with dedicated media room and am looking at the best 4K TV, 65 inch - 75 inch for purely movies only.

The TV will be wall mounted with sound will be provided by a Sammy HW-N950 soundbar.

Not sure on what 4K bluray player to buy yet either...

Your feedback is welcomed

Thanks

Colin

Budget would be nice to know otherwise we can talk about best TV money can buy 😀

Watching movies on television is enhanced by good contrast,, black levels and colour volume, amongst other things.  From a budget perspective, a full array local dimming (FALD) LCD/LED with a VA panel, may be the way to go.  The best value FALD unit at the moment IMO is the Sony X900F, the 65" version of which, can be picked up for low $2000s.  I own a Samsung Q8FN which is also another fine FALD TV with inky blacks and superb colour reproduction,  but you will be paying an extra $1000 or so for the 65". 

If your budget is more constrained you might like to consider an edge lit LCD which in the 65" size can be purchased for as little as $1000 (TCL).  The golden rule for edge lit TVs is to avoid IPS panels (LG, lower end Sony and Panasonic).  IPS panels traditionally produce sub par contrast and black levels but have superior viewing angles, so if off axis viewing is a priority then you might like to consider an IPS LCD TV.

2018 OLEDs are currently discounted across most major brands, LG, Sony, Panasonic etc and you can pick up a 65" set for as little as $3,200 in some of the major retailers.  I have never owned an OLED, so I can't comment on picture quality although, OLEDs are the preferred, reference level, technology for most reviewers due to the emissive technology that produces infinite contrast and superb colours. On the negative side, I understand that screen burn in, may be a problem if the unit is left on for long periods and a number of reviewers have also commented negatively on the presence of 'black crush' in dark movie scenes.

Hope this helps and good luck with you purchase.

I’ve been looking at Sammy Q9, Panna FZ950, LG C8 and then saw the Sony A9F at the weekend...

Room will be light controlled and absolutely no regular free to air channels or gaming, so very little or no risk of logo’s on screen....

Thanks

Than OLED would be obvious choice, I think Panna was the overall PQ winner but any of your mentioned should be considered as excellent TV’s

On 04/03/2019 at 9:40 PM, NormanD said:

Not sure on what 4K bluray player to buy yet either...

Another consideration depending on what brand or model of uhd bluray player you buy Colin is the HDR version your tv can accept . If you buy a Samsung for example a dolby vision disc wont be compatible but a HDR10+ will . The sony A9F does have DV capability as do LG's . Heres a list of DV discs from the US ; https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

As for displays that have both hdr metadata frame by frame methods [to cover whatever discs may be released] there is afaik one announced as coming and its an oled :) 

https://newatlas.com/panasonic-gz2000-oled-tv/57953/

Well damn, that looks like being the TV for me, the cost of a 65 inch may hurt a little...

What if I had two 4K bluray players, does it still come down to what the TV can accommodate?? 

Just seen the Oppo with latest firmware can play both formats but there’s more 4K discs with HDR and HDR10+ format...

2 minutes ago, NormanD said:

Well damn, that looks like being the TV for me, the cost of a 65 inch may hurt a little...

What if I had two 4K bluray players, does it still come down to what the TV can accommodate?? 

I should add the comments made were for the very best HDR that can be sent ; hdr10+ and dolby vision are both scene by scene or frame by frame applied . All discs have basic HDR10 which isn't scene by scene but 1 grade based on the whole movie [ so not as good as the 2 rival variable hdr formats..] This expands the tv options but loses out in quality..

Yes the bluray player is incidental ; there are a number of uhd bluray models that can send both variable metadata formats [the good stuff] from Panasonic [the 825 or 9000 ] or pioneer :)  A big consideration is what discs in what format will be released ; hdr10+ is royalty free unlike dolby vision so with warner bros backing it with others like amazon streaming its not to be ignored imho.

So yes the tv has to read the precise metadata or it may drop back to the hdr10 standard ; dolby vision has a better bit depth so is slightly superior to hdr10+ but the variable metadata is the most important.

The oppo203/5 has ceased production and a 2nd hand one is inflated in price due to supply demand . The Panasonics have better player based bit mapping from all accounts anyway :thumb:

OK,

So if I go with a Panna or Pio 4K bluray player and a Sony A9F I can watch HDR10+ which is the equivalent of Dolby Vision.

Or I can go with the Panna or Pio bluray player with a Panna FZ950 but only be able to actual watch Dolby Vision blurays.

Is that correct??

Thanks