Importing equipment

I am contemplating the purchase of a pair of second hand speakers from the US. They will attract Customs duty and GST on the total cost including shipping.

Has anyone had experience of the best way to go about the shipping and importation process?

Do you need to use a customs agent and if so, are there any recommendations?

19 minutes ago, Berristal said:

I am contemplating the purchase of a pair of second hand speakers from the US. They will attract Customs duty and GST on the total cost including shipping.

Has anyone had experience of the best way to go about the shipping and importation process?

Do you need to use a customs agent and if so, are there any recommendations?

Goodaye

l have imported Car parts and  a aircraft engine from the States.

Car parts were easy had them dropped off at a mates in Longbeach and had them put into his container.

The engine l use a shipping agent who took care of everything just paid them when l got it.

So l think you will need a agent, you might find it will need fumigation if there is any wood.

regards Bruce

Depends on the size ? I just had 100Kg of tube  equipment delivered to my house using DHL airfreight . That worked out the same price as similar weight Baffles coming in by ship.I expected the customs duty but not the $1000 of fees the broker came up with.

Stump

1 hour ago, Berristal said:

Thanks for that feedback, I hadn't considered fumigation and those costs just keep mounting...........!

Yeah caution.  It’s not necessarily the wood - worked and finished timber is generally ok.  An issue can be any baffle (“stuffing” ) material, which can make customs nervous in terms of contamination, but having said that, that too should be ok.  Yep, can be many hidden costs to bite you, so they need to be special/collectible to make it worthwhile.

I have bought guitar amps from the States.  They are heavy, so freight is an issue.  However they always have flight cases and are also easy to inspect for the red-tapers.

May be worth getting in touch with customs and asking.  You may be surprised how helpful some people can be!

Timber speakers will not need fumo....they fall in under the category of highly processed timber articles, although if you have any solid wooden components you will need to submit docs to DAWR and they will release on docs without inspec5ion or treatment, 

With respect to packaging, shipping in a plywood case is ok as DAWR do not consider plywood packaging to be timber, so this is the best option...if using timber pallets or cases than ensure the timber is ISPM15 compliant...this is a treatment standard used once and is good for the life of the packaging...these restrictions only apply to shipping seafreight...airfreight is exempted,

If you are using one of those mobs such as DHL, UPS, FedEx etc...the shipping costs will include customs clearance and delivery...but you will need to pay them up front for any duty and GST before delivery, 

Otherwise if you ship through a freight forwarder then yes the onus will be on you to get a Customs Broker for clearance at this end, 

Good Luck, 

Cheers Andrew