Acoustic Guitar Repairs Melbourne

I have an old 12 string guitar, and the bridge is starting to lift. Probably due to years of using heavy strings.

The original flimsy bridge was replaced around 15yrs ago with a more solid one. The bridge itself looks fine, it needs to be removed and re-glued.

Can anyone recommend a quality repairer in Melbourne?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, stixstudios said:

I have an old 12 string guitar, and the bridge is starting to lift. Probably due to years of using heavy strings.

The original flimsy bridge was replaced around 15yrs ago with a more solid one. The bridge itself looks fine, it needs to be removed and re-glued.

Can anyone recommend a quality repairer in Melbourne?

Cheers.

There's a guitar thread in the Chill Out section. I'm sure someone there can point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

@stixstudios what @mrbuzzardstubble said.

2 hours ago, stixstudios said:

The bridge itself looks fine, it needs to be removed and re-glued.

Bridges are often not secured correctly. The glue will not stick/bind onto the polished/lacquered surface of the soundboard and the forces at the bridge are staggering.

Hence a top layer is typically gently removed at a precise location of the bridge - to expose the raw grain under the lacquer and allow the glue to bind the bridge to the sound board. Now why many people do not do this is there's no room for second chance/correction if an error in the fairly tricky measurement of the bridge placement is made. Hence proceed with caution.

• Like 2

Well, now that I think about it, the bridge was probably replaced more than 25yrs ago. That's what happens when you get old(er).

In the attached image you can see the "humongous" bridge. It was "hand made". Apologies for the image which lacks detail of the bridge, a different context, and I couldn't be bothered with other photo's.

The bridge is lifting up from the back (understandable). I did try to remove it with a hot knife - hide glue, I thought??? dunno, but I damaged the surface of the guitar trying it myself, hence the the question.

Me and Guitar.jpg

Edited by stixstudios