Dave don’t worry mate I’m in the same boat after my last purchase. I would love to see a MADVR but I will have to sit on the bench for this one. Unless there able to make the base model $5kAU then I “might” be able get some funds together but close to $10k my mrs will make me sleep in the car.

I’m hearing ya. Ha ha.

As Madshi has said in the AVS thread, making a DIY HTPC will always be cheaper.

But remember the Envy was created to fill a gap for those that didn't want to build and more importantly learn how to use a HTPC.

I don't think you can compare DIY to a proprietary consumer product,  especially considering:

"Not to forget all kinds of license fees (e.g. for HDCP), costs for warranty repairs, support costs, CE certification, costs for legal stuff, accounting, designers etc etc etc. It's frightening how many types of costs add up to what starts as a seemingly modest amount of hardware parts."

With this Madvr excitement going on I’m curious to see it in action. Ive noticed some people build their own pc. Now I’m a Noob when it comes to all this but are the Pc fitted with 4k players ?
I went to go and ask the local PC shop and asked them about HTPC and Madvr in which I got a blank stare. So where does one start ? Is their anybody in WA who know how to build the correct PC ?

Thanks

2 hours ago, franin said:

With this Madvr excitement going on I’m curious to see it in action. Ive noticed some people build their own pc. Now I’m a Noob when it comes to all this but are the Pc fitted with 4k players ?
I went to go and ask the local PC shop and asked them about HTPC and Madvr in which I got a blank stare. So where does one start ? Is their anybody in WA who know how to build the correct PC ?

Thanks

Wouldn't a mid-high end 'gaming' pc be the go, use whatever case you want? I built a HTPC years ago with a i5 4690, GTX 1060 and 16GB ram in a silverstone GD-07 then installed MPC-BE and Madvr.

Wouldn't a mid-high end 'gaming' pc be the go, use whatever case you want? I built a HTPC years ago with a i5 4690, GTX 1060 and 16GB ram in a silverstone GD-07 then installed MPC-BE and Madvr.

Hi there as my previous post I’m unsure in what to do but thanks anyway

Hi there as my previous post I’m unsure in what to do but thanks anyway

Best guide is here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2364113-guide-building-4k-htpc-madvr.html

Everything you need. Obviously being a US site the buying recommendations, pricing etc will all be wrong but use that as a guide and then source the parts. Not sure about WA but places like PC Case Gear, Umart, MSY are your friend but you’ll need to put things together yourself (plenty of good guides online on that and it’s good fun).

Also bear in mind there’s a fair bit of complexity that comes with a HTPC. I gave up on them after several years and now run a dedicated server (that’s quite stable) and things like Apple TVs and NVidia shields around the house. My wife and kids just have 0 tolerance for tinkering and problems. Most of the issues come from the software side of the fence, Windows just isn’t built for this purpose and you will have issues.

That said, if you’re patient enough, have a backup plan and want the best result (and don’t want to spend what looks like 10k for an Envy) then it’s your best bet.

Best guide is here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2364113-guide-building-4k-htpc-madvr.html

Everything you need. Obviously being a US site the buying recommendations, pricing etc will all be wrong but use that as a guide and then source the parts. Not sure about WA but places like PC Case Gear, Umart, MSY are your friend but you’ll need to put things together yourself (plenty of good guides online on that and it’s good fun).

Also bear in mind there’s a fair bit of complexity that comes with a HTPC. I gave up on them after several years and now run a dedicated server (that’s quite stable) and things like Apple TVs and NVidia shields around the house. My wife and kids just have 0 tolerance for tinkering and problems. Most of the issues come from the software side of the fence, Windows just isn’t built for this purpose and you will have issues.

That said, if you’re patient enough, have a backup plan and want the best result (and don’t want to spend what looks like 10k for an Envy) then it’s your best bet.

Thank you for your reply. Will look into it but I will wait to see what madvr will come at in Aus before I take the plunge.