MadVR Envy Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to start this thread to start a discussion around MadVR Envy, which is essentially going to be a very user friendly MadVR 'in a box' solution, so, no HTPC required!

http://envy.madvr.com/

MadVR in the past 9 months or so over on AVS has been going through considerable development with respect to HDR to SDR tone mapping and how to handle HDR encoded content. It has made considerable strides to the point where its not even a stretch to categorically say its the best HDR tone mapping in the world right now. MadVR is also the worlds best video up-scaler, and has been for years. Until now, you have been required to have a considerably powerful HTPC, and generally you have not been able to run a source through it, as in, UHD Bluray Standalone player, Netflix, Media Players, Xbox etc... What this will do is allow that to happen, and will be a much more user friendly experience than it is currently. Think of it as a direct competitor to the Lumagen Radiance series. complete with full up-scaling support as you get already, calibration LUT support etc.

I wanted to start a convo here, I am 'in the know' with the development of this thing and I am planning to help out with the Australian release side of things if all goes well. What I would like to know from you guys, is what would you expect from such a standalone device, what features would you like to see, what price point do you think it should come in at, is it something that interests you guys, and so on...

Lets start a dialogue, and I plan on relaying this to the team as they are looking for feedback. Its looking like this product could be as little as two months away initially.

@betty boop how about you?

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Javs said:

how about you?

thanks jays, great you are in dialogue ! I registered interest in the thing. 

and great they have it in the works. to put it plainly I see a great need for it... as I have no interest in a HTPC part of my setup (hence why glad about its existence) as system  is used by family from child 10 years up. so has to be set forget and just play its part without intervention--- ie seamless to people using the system. 

price point is an interesting thing, it cant be in the realm of lumagen and such. it has to be like the old darbee or newer hdfury type device.

I expect its going to be something in the likes of fury and plugs in line from output to projector at source or projector end. so tackles everything coming in and reads and sorts to suit ? whether upscaling to tone mapping to calibration related things ? 

if price is getting up there .... I would modularise it ... ie a module that just does tone mapping, one that just does upscaling, one that just does calibration. it would all technically piggy back or if its case have software enabling of features if cost is going to be the same one ways or another...

rather than any blingy displays and buttons and such on the device an onscreen menu you can flick up if needed is a good ways to go I think :) phone app ? am thinking fury style minus any inbuilt display or buttons.

anyways just some thoughts.... 

• Like 2

Agree, no need for a built in display.

Presume it will be able to send appropriate EDID data to the external display.

Put it in a good sized box and with enough cooling so it doesn't run hot (I'm thinking of my Integral which ran hot and slowly died).

Universal voltage too please.

• Like 1

I am extremely interested in this - the whole MadVR thing sounds great, although it's something that seems rather daunting (even though i'd classify myself as being tech savvy).

Is the idea behind MadVR Envy much like the Lumagen Pro, only better? and maybe cheaper?

Cheers

People expecting this to be something in the realm of the HDFuryu will be very disappointed. Its more likely going to cost HTPC money since it will essentially be just that, a PC underneath it all, it will also be running Nvidia graphics cards most likely since MadVR requires a huge amount of teraflops to work its magic.

So, expect to part with a few thousand dollars for one most likely.

I suppose its probably a bit early to ask but is it going to be able to scan network files and play them?....or are you still going to need something(eg: ATV, Nuc, game consol etc)to send it the data?

On 04/03/2019 at 2:25 PM, betty boop said:

I expect its going to be something in the likes of fury and plugs in line from output to projector at source or projector end. so tackles everything coming in and reads and sorts to suit ? whether upscaling to tone mapping to calibration related things ? 

if price is getting up there .... I would modularise it ... ie a module that just does tone mapping, one that just does upscaling, one that just does calibration. it would all technically piggy back or if its case have software enabling of features if cost is going to be the same one ways or another...

Yes Al ; I would lean to between the projector and pre pro if only to apply the processing/ scaling to everything you want . Modularity would be nice too .

As its added resource and expense to overlay an osd to a 4k signal due to bandwidth issues I  can live without it . Maybe take a leaf from the monoprice pre pro book and have a separate hdmi gui overlay on a blank screen controlled by a ipad or android device :)

Sounds like the perfect solution to keep my ubd900/forgo a 825  and not worry about upgrading the 7000e to a N series B)

Oh and make it E-ARC  compatible for those who stream atmos/dts-x and put it post the avr/pre pro

15 hours ago, Compass said:

I suppose its probably a bit early to ask but is it going to be able to scan network files and play them?....or are you still going to need something(eg: ATV, Nuc, game consol etc)to send it the data?

it is not a source device. So, you will need a way to feed it a signal of some kind.

I too registered interest through madshi's link, as madvr dynamic tone mapping sounds a bit like " the holy grail " compared to the current static TM most sources and displays possess. 

If I could BUY a pre-made HPTC for $1500 with the specs to run Madvr I would be all over it.

I am not interested enough in the hardware components to want to build one myself. 

I think madshi has a difficult decision with regard to the Envy.

If he makes it to "ultra high end " specs , and competing against the Lumagen which sells here for what $6-7k(?), he might sell a few. Maybe 10 , 20 , 50 worldwide. 

If he could build different incarnations with different levels of performance, I believe he could sell many hundreds, even thousands.

Personally , as I said, my budget would extend to about $1500-2k. I think the video card required ( RTX2060?) sells for $6-700 alone , so I feel I might end up in the "disappointed" category ??

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

8 hours ago, Davo1972 said:

I signed up to www.envy.madVR.com with my email address to get updates about madVR Envy. I received an email today to vote on the UI font, and voted for Tenerifa ? 

Yeah I did that when this thread was started....didnt recieve the email.

• 3 weeks later...
People expecting this to be something in the realm of the HDFuryu will be very disappointed. Its more likely going to cost HTPC money since it will essentially be just that, a PC underneath it all, it will also be running Nvidia graphics cards most likely since MadVR requires a huge amount of teraflops to work its magic.

So, expect to part with a few thousand dollars for one most likely.

Will still be cheaper than a Lumagen. Im looking forward to its release
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/03/2019 at 2:14 PM, Javs said:

HTPC money since it will essentially be just that, a PC underneath it all, it will also be running Nvidia graphics cards most likely since MadVR requires a huge amount of teraflops to work its magic.

I was interested (still am pending price) in this too, as I am about to build a new PC.

Only question is why this over a dedicated HTPC (if it's the same money) as you have said it will essentially be running a 1080 card or depending when they build it a 2080 card for it to process the full suite that MADVR offers so unless it comes in sub $1000 it doesn't have the flexibility of a HTPC unless i've missed something here?

• 5 weeks later...
On 07/07/2019 at 10:29 PM, roh008 said:

I was interested (still am pending price) in this too, as I am about to build a new PC.

Only question is why this over a dedicated HTPC (if it's the same money) as you have said it will essentially be running a 1080 card or depending when they build it a 2080 card for it to process the full suite that MADVR offers so unless it comes in sub $1000 it doesn't have the flexibility of a HTPC unless i've missed something here?

My 2c, If it allows you to have more than 1 source it will be a winner, thats the only downfall of a HTPC, due to DRM you can't pass anything else through it, if you want to take advantage of MadVR using say a PS3/4 or XBox  or any other source for that matter then tough luck. Just have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

Ok. News time.

Madshi's official press release for the Envy:

http://madvr.com/EnvyPressRelease.pdf

Very exciting, but as expected the pricing will see me watching from the sidelines. ( Pro model $US 10000, Base model $US 5500).

I hope he sells a truck load ( so he may eventually release a bargain basement model for $A 2000 ??)

More details here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/3053602-madvr-envy-anticipation-thread-25.html#post58541994

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IMDave said:

Ok. News time.

Madshi's official press release for the Envy:

http://madvr.com/EnvyPressRelease.pdf

Very exciting, but as expected the pricing will see me watching from the sidelines. ( Pro model $US 10000, Base model $US 5500).

I hope he sells a truck load ( so he may eventually release a bargain basement model for $A 2000 ??)

More details here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/3053602-madvr-envy-anticipation-thread-25.html#post58541994

Jesus.

Might as well just build a super top of the line gaming pc.

• Like 1

Ouch, pricey. I do run a HTPC and way overkill, AMD 3700X recently upgraded the 2600 that was in there, on a x470 mobo, with a 1070 and low latency ram.

Bloody thing competes with my main rig just about,apart from video card, and got all that Madvr running and it is working very well for UHD/HDR , but that is big money for the Envy

Just came across this thread and will have a look what the Envy is all about

Thanks