Surround setup for PC suggestions

So I have been using the logitech z5500 for ages now and its time for me to get a new set for a 5.1 setup for my pc. Apart from looking at the z906 I was wondering if there is any other 5.1 speaker setup for a PC that i should be considering? I would prefer it not to be so bulky as i have limited space on my main desk and the 2 rear speakers are on speaker stands (the rod like ones). Thanks in advance for the suggestion guys.

22 hours ago, warweary said:

An avr + a bunch of speakers seems your next option In10.

Hmm was looking at that too but I don't really have space on my desk for an avr at the moment hence why im looking at active speaker setups.

Just now, warweary said:

The top logitech 5.1 is pretty good actually, a friend has one.

Yep thats what i was leaning to just wanted to see if there are any other suggestions in this forum heh

22 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

what are you using to drive it ?

might get considerably more bangs for your buck to upgrade the source with a high end sound card in the desktop

Using Asus supremefx s1220a. Also I am changing the speakers because there is quite a bit of white noise coming out from the speakers now.

Edited by ln10

1 hour ago, ln10 said:

Using Asus supremefx s1220a. Also I am changing the speakers because there is quite a bit of white noise coming out from the speakers now.

onboard sound will be bettered by almost any choice of dedicated card, and both will be outdone by an external dac

the noise from the speakers may well be noise from internal interference in the computer, regardless of shielding supplied for the integrated source

if you can borrow an external dac  and try it out, you might choose the speakers to stay and spend the $ on an external solution that can be used again on your next build(s)

personally i think decent 2.0 or 2.1 system on a desk to be a really good solution, as a dedicated 5.1 is really for home theatre (or gaming i guess), and i listen to music far more than i benefit from any other application

but increasingly i realise that computer sound and "hifi" aren't vaguely in the same class, even though computers can sound quite lovely with good components

Edited by scruffy1

1 minute ago, scruffy1 said:

onboard sound will be bettered by almost any choice of dedicated card, and both will be outdone by an external dac

the noise from the speakers may well be noise from internal interference in the computer, regardless of shielding supplied for the integrated source

if you can borrow an external dac  and try it out, you might choose the speakers to stay and spend the $ on an external solution that can be used again on your next build(s)

personally i think decent 2.0 or 2.1 system on a desk to be a really good solution, as a dedicated 5.1 is really for home theatre (or gaming i guess), and i listen to music far more than i benefit from any other application

I do have an external dac (one of which is for sale in the classifieds here :) which i use my headphones on when i listen to music. And yes you are right the 5.1 setup is more for my gaming and watching movies. I have plugged in the stereo pair to my dac and it still makes that slight high pitch noise so my conclusion is that it is from the speakers. Do correct me if i am wrong though

2 minutes ago, ln10 said:

I do have an external dac (one of which is for sale in the classifieds here :) which i use my headphones on when i listen to music. And yes you are right the 5.1 setup is more for my gaming and watching movies. I have plugged in the stereo pair to my dac and it still makes that slight high pitch noise so my conclusion is that it is from the speakers. Do correct me if i am wrong though

i'm no tech guru with this stuff, but the troubleshooting approach would be to try the speakers with a third source, or other speakers through that dac and listen for the high pitch noise (or not)

any other computers in the vicinity to use for the task ?

1 minute ago, scruffy1 said:

i'm no tech guru with this stuff, but the troubleshooting approach would be to try the speakers with a third source, or other speakers through that dac and listen for the high pitch noise (or not)

any other computers in the vicinity to use for the task ?

Oh i have tested these with another PC already. These speakers were part of my old PC until I upgraded the PC sometime this year. The noise was already on when it was hooked up to my old PC. Why i didn't bother changing them then was because my old pc noise was louder than the sound coming out from the speaker at idle heh. 

Just now, ln10 said:

Oh i have tested these with another PC already. These speakers were part of my old PC until I upgraded the PC sometime this year. The noise was already on when it was hooked up to my old PC. Why i didn't bother changing them then was because my old pc noise was louder than the sound coming out from the speaker at idle heh. 

ain't it the way

i feel your pain - i'm running a xonar d2 to a pair of very ancient klipsch promedia 2.0, which suffer from the well documented crap volume pot, that monotonously fails and they go silent, till cleaned with contact cleaner

i have learnt to leave them constantly on and not to adjust the volume (both functions on the same rotary knob), because they sound so ridiculously good that i can't find a decent replacement that won't cost upwards of a few hundred dollars at least

the pc itself is pretty much silent, because i am way fussy about fan noise, so the speakers are not able to get away with distortion of buzz, but i suspect their capacitors must be nearing the end of their days, and my hand will be forced soon-ish

25 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

A descent headphone setup would give you a better experience and resale value later.

much easier to setup etc as well

Yep already have a Fiio dac paired with my hifimans or krk depending on what i am listening to :D 

25 minutes ago, stuckinhere said:

The Soundblaster Omni 5.1 would be a good fit. Gives you the 5.1 out to your choice of active monitors/sub. Also has a 600ohm headphone amp for your Hifimans, you can run the Fiio into the line input

he's got the outputs - he's after speakers