075Congo

ML2 Stands: What Height should they be?

Just taken possession of a pair of ML2 References and had the good fortune to get a pair of stands from Lenehan Audio as a temporary measure. Question is is there a "magic number" like 63cm for the height of the stands under the ML2's. What should they be filled with? Dolomite I read somewhere. I'll probably go with a set of  ML2 dedicated stands from Lenehan Audio later in the year but be interested to get some info. The ML2 speakers are a real surprise package and continue to sound just fabulous. Currently feeding Queens Greatest Hits into them: my wife has seen Bohemian Rhapsody twice so there you go!

Cheers

As a general rule, Tweeters at ear level.

Thanks for that! Looks like the speakers need to go up by 100mm to 150mm. Still looking at distance out from the wall but I have a difficult room design. Thank you Mr Architect (RIP) great look but !

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Yep, tweeters at ear level, although you do have to consider the kind of distance from the floor MIke deisigned the crossover for. Mine are on 45cm stands - which work very well - but I believe Mike's own stands are 50cm tall.

Edited by ljmac

Many thanks; the temporary stands I have from Mike must be similar to yours:  roughly 45/46 cm from the bottom of the base to the surface supporting the ML2 (measuring up from the floor level to the base of the speaker is close to 49cm). I think I'll move them out into the room a bit and see how that changes things. Sorry to sound so thingy about this but after a diet of Vandersteen with room nodes and all sorts of crap I should just relax and play some music. Going down to him soon to pick up a set of speaker grilles and to check out a set of Foil Tek XLR Interconnects; I'll check out the measurements on the dedicated ML2 Stands.

Cheers

My ML2 stands are 60cm from the carpet to the top of the stand, the stands are on spikes, tweeter is 92cm high

More to consider! Thats a pretty fair variance in heights.

Cheers

Less critical I think to a degree when you are further back, but just ask mike he will tell you. I know he’s been working on his isolation idea like the ML5s have, which will make a bigger difference to them than anything else you could do, would be worth he’s going there, as that likely will require shorter stands as the springs lift them up. 

I bought a set set as a guinea pig on my ml3s and I reckon it made them better than ML5s without the springs. Crazy stuff.

The isolation development for the ML2 is definitely worth waiting for. Thanks for your comment.

Ask where he's at with it though, I had a lengthy discussion about whether to use them just under the speakers (better) or under the stands (easier, but hard as different stands affect spring requirements)