Benq W2700 / W5700 Owners Discussion Thread

Hi @Matt_Walker I've currently had a w1070 for several years now and have been looking to upgrade to the w2700 but am a little gun shy on pulling the trigger due to the issues I started having the the w1070 only a month and a half out of warranty (kept on going into overheat mode due to a problem bottom fan), but i'm still keen. Now I see there is a TK850 projector about to come out OS. The idea of this model interests me due to the extra 1000lm output. Any news on this model being released here in Australia? https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/home-entertainment/tk850.html

hmm so did you actually have the w1070 repaired? out of warranty is not accurate, as the benq warranty ends your consumer warranty begins.

i dont own the w2700 but after reading the posts my thinking is wait until the bugs are gone and the price drops like the w1700 did.

but matt will surely have info on that 850

2 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

hmm so did you actually have the w1070 repaired? out of warranty is not accurate, as the benq warranty ends your consumer warranty begins.

i dont own the w2700 but after reading the posts my thinking is wait until the bugs are gone and the price drops like the w1700 did.

but matt will surely have info on that 850

I did have it repaired, but it was at my own expense as BenQ wouldn't come to the party as it were as far as they were concerned, it was out of warranty, hence why I'm gun shy. The apparent problems i'm seeing online about the W2700 from overseas and here also leave me somewhat concerned.

We have chosen to release the TK800M here in Australia and it is going out at a full RRP of $1799.

We originally had the TK800 which was a great model but had an "edge halo" like all of the first gen 4K models.

This new model is 3000 lumens HDR True 4K and is definitely worth a look :)

I am however sad to hear about your experience with the W1070.  You obviously called on my day off - wont let that happen again!  

48 minutes ago, hypnotoad8128 said:

Hi @Matt_Walker I've currently had a w1070 for several years now and have been looking to upgrade to the w2700 but am a little gun shy on pulling the trigger due to the issues I started having the the w1070 only a month and a half out of warranty (kept on going into overheat mode due to a problem bottom fan), but i'm still keen. Now I see there is a TK850 projector about to come out OS. The idea of this model interests me due to the extra 1000lm output. Any news on this model being released here in Australia? https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/home-entertainment/tk850.html

I think this might be the brighter model I was referring to in my earlier post. But looks like it won't have the better colours the w2700 has ?

14 minutes ago, Matt_Walker said:

We have chosen to release the TK800M here in Australia and it is going out at a full RRP of $1799.

We originally had the TK800 which was a great model but had an "edge halo" like all of the first gen 4K models.

This new model is 3000 lumens HDR True 4K and is definitely worth a look :)

I am however sad to hear about your experience with the W1070.  You obviously called on my day off - wont let that happen again!  

That's a shame. The 850  uses the same design as the 2700, (except a different colour) right down to the little cover on the bottom portion of the lens to prevent light leakage on the roof. The added lumens would benefit my room. So the 800m doesn't have the edge halo like the previous 800 correct?

Edited by hypnotoad8128

4 minutes ago, hypnotoad8128 said:

That's a shame. The 850  uses the same design as the 2700, (except a different colour) right down to the little cover on the bottom portion of the lens to prevent light leakage on the roof. The added lumens would benefit my room. So the 800m doesn't have the edge halo like the previous 800 correct?

Yep - the pricing doesnt justify us bringing it in just yet - we already have $1799, $1999, $2599 in the entry level space.

Pretty hard to justify another model :)

The colors on the TK800 are good ... its Rec709 - but the black levels are compromised by the extra brightness.

It's a balancing act that falls a little short for most users.

5 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

"HYPNO" pm sent

always said they made the w1070 tooo good. all benq's since have been compared to it ?

i am sure they will get the bugs out, as jvc will, eventually.

The 1070 sounds alot like the old W5000 which was one of my all time favorite projectors. This image was with Tony Dummets 5 element A-lens, you can see him on the left side of the pic.

NEW_lens_5E.jpg.png.c484ce48d1cb1c342ac443d147e5cfe4.png

On 18/08/2019 at 9:29 AM, Spizz said:

Matt-  Do you know if BenQ will be showcasing any new high end projectors next month at either CEDIA/IFA?

I am not aware at this stage.

We have a couple of new products coming out over the next 6 months but not sure if these are market ready just yet.

Will see if I can find out and share :)

On 18/08/2019 at 1:44 PM, oztheatre said:

The problem is though, by nature, 4k has lost native contrast compared to the previous 2K models, which were just fine btw.

Rich,

Have you applied the firmware update yet?

The new iris settings makes a hell of a difference!

3 minutes ago, Matt_Walker said:

Rich,

Have you applied the firmware update yet?

The new iris settings makes a hell of a difference!

This week for sure. Yes I've read it's a good update so that's good news. This is the first dynamic iris by BenQ? So naturally going to have teething problems. My unit did that split screen thing too a while back but it might have been hdmi cables as I replaced them and don't think it's happened since.

8 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

This week for sure. Yes I've read it's a good update so that's good news. This is the first dynamic iris by BenQ? So naturally going to have teething problems. My unit did that split screen thing too a while back but it might have been hdmi cables as I replaced them and don't think it's happened since.

Ah good stuff- the f/w also addresses the split screen issue too just in case it wasnt HDMI cables..  

Hey all,

Just being a little proactive here.

There has been some quesions over on AVS about the split screen syncing when switching on/off  the WCG Filter and between sources.

The explanation is attached but essentially it is because we are using 2 IC Chips to process the data the master syncs first and then the slave second.  The delay can be up to 1 second and this is why you will see a sync time between the 2 sides causing a split screen.

For the on/off WCG from BenQ "With the current DLP 4K technology, it is a common practice to adopt 2 IC chips to process the large volume of 4K signal data for better and stable transmission.  When the two IC chips perform synchronization, there will be an image delay for seconds. For our projector, when the WCG function is switched on/off, the spilt screen will be observed for about one second, which means the two internal IC chips are in the process of synchronization. Once the synchronization is completed, the projection will back to full screen within just one second and users can have the benefits that WCG brings for a stable 4K HDR movie enjoyment."

For the switching between sources from BenQ:  "With the current DLP 4K technology, it is a common practice to adopt 2 IC chips to process the large volume of 4K signal data for better and stable transmission.  When the two IC chips perform synchronization, there will be an image delay for seconds. For our projector, when input source or timing is being switched, the spilt screen will be observed for about one second, which means the two internal IC chips are in the process of synchronization. Once the synchronization is completed, the projection will back to full screen within just one second and users can have the benefits for a stable 4K HDR movie enjoyment."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/08/2019 at 6:34 PM, Matt_Walker said:

I am not aware at this stage.

We have a couple of new products coming out over the next 6 months but not sure if these are market ready just yet.

Will see if I can find out and share :)

Hi Matt ; piqued my interest and along the same lines ; do you know of any Benq  laser models coming out ? I ask as this new JVC LX-NZ3 seems to have striking similarities with  the 5700 . And Kraine would likely have inside knowledge 

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3088006-will-new-jvc-lx-nz3-native-4k-2.html#post58525478

Anything with 80% or more dci-p3 colour gamut and hi lumens for hdr would be sweet for a non batcave :)

Edited by cwt

5 hours ago, Matt_Walker said:

All I can say is the next 6 months in BenQ land are going to be very interesting if you like our current offerings!

Intriguing Matt ; certainly fertile ground for a break out well specced reasonably priced laser model :whistle: Will watch this space ..

• Like 2

Hi All,

Just wanted to provide an update. Seven weeks ago I returned my faulty W5700 (the iris made grinding noises while watching) and picked up another W5700 at BenQ's Newington office in Sydney.

The unit I picked up had been updated to firmware 1.0.1 which means the TI chip firmware had been update. This can only be done by BenQ. The "user" firmware update was also done which you can tell by the new settings available for the Dynamic Iris. BenQ had been testing the unit, didn't find any issues/ faults and offered it to me. The alternative was to wait for the next batch to arrive with the 1.0.1 firmware update included.

I accepted the test unit and have been using it every night since. It's been great, have not had any recurring problems with the unit and really enjoying the picture quality. Once had a split screen when going from Netflix to Foxtel but I turned it off and back on and it was gone. Have not had another split screen.

I want to give a big thank you to Matt and the BenQ team for their prompt response and service. It happened very quickly and smoothly.

As a side note, I think the other "side effect" of the firmware 1.0.1 is the noise it makes when going from non-HDR to HDR source or visa-versa, like the lense or colour wheel is moving into the correct position. It last 2-3 seconds and I wouldn't normally hear it if there was something playing but because it's transitioning nothing is playing. I actually don't mind it because it tells me I'm about to watch HDR10 content or switch back to non-HDR source. And I don't remember this happening under firmware 1.0.0.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bellawii said:

As a side note, I think the other "side effect" of the firmware 1.0.1 is the noise it makes when going from non-HDR to HDR source or visa-versa, like the lense or colour wheel is moving into the correct position. It last 2-3 seconds and I wouldn't normally hear it if there was something playing but because it's transitioning nothing is playing. I actually don't mind it because it tells me I'm about to watch HDR10 content or switch back to non-HDR source. And I don't remember this happening under firmware 1.0.0.

Thanks for the update. So is the grinding iris noise gone now?