Benq W2700 / W5700 Owners Discussion Thread

I am still considering the w2700 as it seems to be near perfect for my requirements. Initial hick ups are common for any brand/product. The difference is how the vendor responds to them and I am happy with the responses from Benq so far. I hope they get the final firmware released to resolve all these issues. 

Can I know where I can get a demo of w2700 in Sydney? Most of the retailers seem to have a stock of them but none in display for a demo. 

Edited by elusivesid
correcting grammer and spelling

6 hours ago, elusivesid said:

Can I know where I can get a demo of w2700 in Sydney? Most of the retailers seem to have a stock of them but none in display for a demo. 

Try Instylehifi - they have a 5700 on demo there as well.

22 hours ago, elusivesid said:

I am still considering the w2700 as it seems to be near perfect for my requirements. Initial hick ups are common for any brand/product. The difference is how the vendor responds to them and I am happy with the responses from Benq so far. I hope they get the final firmware released to resolve all these issues. 

Thanks jklow888!!

Try Custom Home theatre too - they have a unit on display.

https://www.benq.com/en-au/projector/cineprime-home-cinema/w2700/where-to-experience.html

On 17/06/2019 at 2:27 PM, elusivesid said:

We have the W5700 setup to demo currently. Happy to have a chat to see what we can arrange for you to see the W2700.

There's a review of the W5700 in this months edition of UK magazine Home Cinema Choice. Very favourable review, pretty sure I am legally not allowed to reproduce the review in full so here is the conclusion:

'Home cinema star. Overall, this is a superb UHD projector that boasts previously unobtainable colour coverage for a DLP display and a remarkable level of accuracy. Design and setup are home cinema-friendly. Brightness is somewhat limited but HDR performance remains impressive, amd motion handling and 3D are both excellent. Audition one 4.5 stars out of 5.'

On 05/06/2019 at 11:07 AM, Matt_Walker said:

Hey all,

Just letting you know that the W5700 firmware update is now expected mid June (slight delay sorry!) - Please bare with us whilst we get this right for you all :) 

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Any news on the firmware update?

No :( 

It's really starting to annoy me...!

I am pushing every day and finally we are in the final testing phase before release - I want to say this week but may end up being next.

The moment I have it I will be posting it up here first for download ?

On a more positive note we just won another prestigious award in Japan for the W2700 and W5700 models :)

image.png.83556926555618d1cbbe64b4d3328c90.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Hi,
How does the w5700 deal with a scope screen? Compared with my old Panasonic lens memory projector?  Can it be set to stay in scope model?  Will i see light off my screen? 

The W5700 needs a lens to do scope properly.

If you wanted to you could zoom the image to fit the cinemascope ratio but you would have light at the top and bottom edges of the screen.

• Like 1

The W5700 needs a lens to do scope properly.

If you wanted to you could zoom the image to fit the cinemascope ratio but you would have light at the top and bottom edges of the screen.

Hi Matt, cheers.

I don't have the dollars for a lens, so that's not an option.

Will the scope ratio be correct in terms of vertical And horizontal stretch? Like my Panasonic projector?

Light? Therefore if i have a reflective surface near the screen, e.g my speakers and benchtop cabinet, the light will be a issue, is that correct? If so, buggar!! I wish they all had lens memory like the Panasonic's do.

Is the w5700 a true 4k or UHD or a pixel shifter like the epsons and jvcs?

1 hour ago, Perth.hifi said:

Hi Matt, cheers.

I don't have the dollars for a lens, so that's not an option.

Will the scope ratio be correct in terms of vertical And horizontal stretch? Like my Panasonic projector?

Light? Therefore if i have a reflective surface near the screen, e.g my speakers and benchtop cabinet, the light will be a issue, is that correct? If so, buggar!! I wish they all had lens memory like the Panasonic's do.

Is the w5700 a true 4k or UHD or a pixel shifter like the epsons and jvcs?

Just use a larger 16:9 screen if using this PJ, otherwise you have to manually adjust everything, focus, zoom and lens shift each time. Yes it would be the correct shape, you're just zooming the black bars out off the top and bottom of the scope screen.

It's a 2K panel that pixel shifts using mirrors that actuate at 9,000 times per second, so a bit faster than my brothers EH holden :lol:

5 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Already have a 2:40 screen, i wouldn't ever go a 16:9, love the scope format. I actually only try to buy able format movies, much prefer the ratio. That sucks, i don't want to adjust zoom and focus each time.. ?

Yep - its True 4K but uses a mirror to achieve this.

Its not E-Shift 1080P or Pro UHD 1080P - it is 8.3 Million individually addressable pixels on the screen at any given moment in time :)

The BenQ is not for you though - Unless you can find a cheap aussiemorphic lens (they are out there) - in which care :) Giddy Up!

Yep - spot on - I always say that everyone needs to see for themselves!

BenQ have been doing it for years - https://business-display.benq.com/en/findproduct/projector/large-venue-projectors/lu9715.html - but nothing has trickled down ...yet ;)

Also BenQ are the number 1 4K brand in Australia by numbers by a long margin and have been for the best part of 18 months.

We are not the most expensive but we are the most accessible!

On 01/07/2019 at 5:52 PM, powerinnumbers said:

Matt. A few pages back you listed where to buy locations ( or more specifically where to demo I think )

Like always, Adelaide ( SA ) was nowhere to be seen.

Is there any update to the list?

No nothing I am sorry - I have approached a few dealers but Sony seems to have SA stitched up :)

Who is your local dealer?  Perhaps a phone call to them might prompt them to call me - they may be able ot have it exclusively in SA ?

*******************NEWS!!*******************

BenQ W5700 Firmware update is here

*******************NEWS!!*******************

Hi all,

Below is a table of the new features & fixes:

Items

Firmware Version

(TI V1.1.0 & Mstar 1.0.0.88353)

1.      Features added

(1)   Add “Anamorphic 2.4:1” and “Anamorphic 16:9” under Installation/Aspect ratio

Mstar F/W Upgrade via USB

(2)   Add “HDMI Equalizer” to improve HDMI compatibility

2.      Fix bugs or Improvements

(1)   Fix keystone saving problem after reboot

(2)   Lower down the opportunity of split screen issue happened after switching timing or source.

(3)   Improve Pixel Enhancer and color performance

(4)   Improve the frame drop issues by adjusting the default value and items of “Motion enhancer” menu with Off/Low/Middle/High

(5)   Improve flicker issues when IRIS is on by adjusting default value and items of “Dynamic Iris” menu to with Off/Low/Middle/High

(6)   Fix bug that SmartEco should be disabled in remote control when IRIS is set to On

(7)   Fix bugs in ISF mode

-          Disable “Picture/Reset current picture mode” when picture mode is set to ISF

-          Correct the default value of “Sharpness” in ISF

And instructions on how to install it:

UpgradeMStar FW via USB

1. Format a USB 3.0 Flash Drive Fat32.
  2. Unzip File MStar 838v1.0.0.88353.7z and look for folder Mstar 838 v 1.0.0.88353 open this folder and copy BenqUpgradeQ.bin to the root folder of the USB Flash Drive.
  3. Turn off projector.  
  4. Insert USB Flash Drive in to the Media Reader (USB 3.0) port on the projector.
  5. Turn on the projector.
  6. In the process of upgrading, you may see BenQ logo in white. This is normal.  It may take up to 2 minutes to go blank screen
  7. You will also see blank screen and sometimes a status bar going around. This is normal.
  8. When the FW update is complete unit will re-start to the original 1st time install settings.  

Link below for FW file

https://we.tl/t-H15dZHOw9V

Please follow the instructions carefully and let me know your results!

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wassup said:

The link (for the firmware file) is apparently down... Was the firmware update pulled or is it available somewhere? 

Yep it's gone. Matt will reply I think he's away at present.