Benq W2700 / W5700 Owners Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, Beng Su said:

I got an April 19 build, purchased only a few days ago.

But depends which batch it was from .. best to check.

Also f/w update is close now - once this comes out it may be worth putting to try and see if it sorts the noise!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matt_Walker said:

But depends which batch it was from .. best to check.

Also f/w update is close now - once this comes out it may be worth putting to try and see if it sorts the noise!

@Matt_Walker   my W5700 was doing this from new as well l. I haven’t checked it in a while as I have the sound up loud. Also I have seen it do the split screen issue as well. 

Edited by jamiefor05

So both have their good points and bad. Either one would be a good buy..
Yeh Scotty, the reviewer posted on the Epson forum page and they winged he was biased to the Benq. Obviously didn't want to hear any of the Epson's short comings.

20 hours ago, jamiefor05 said:

@Matt_Walker   my W5700 was doing this from new as well l. I haven’t checked it in a while as I have the sound up loud. Also I have seen it do the split screen issue as well. 

Hi, my brand new W5700 also has the noisy Dynamic Iris sometimes with the loud grinding noise, plus had 2 or 3 times a half screen picture problem as well. After restarting the received, the normal picture came back. Any idea for a solution? Thx.

2 hours ago, ecs007 said:

Hi, my brand new W5700 also has the noisy Dynamic Iris sometimes with the loud grinding noise, plus had 2 or 3 times a half screen picture problem as well. After restarting the received, the normal picture came back. Any idea for a solution? Thx.

@ecs007 @jamiefor05

Thanks for sharing that you also have noises with the DI. Doesn't look like I'm alone

Edited by Beng Su
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt_Walker said:

FYI - we are currently working on the above issues - hopefully have a quick fix :)

Thanks! That sounds promising that you have identified these issues and working on a fix!

From AVS:

while the update to the Ht3550’s Dynamic iris (adding strength settings) will be user upgradeable the update to the HT5550’s Dynamic iris will not. It will require the unit be sent in for service.”

If true will be an inconvenience for 5700 owners and many will wait for units with said firmware before buying. 

stupid just stupid. didnt benq learn from the jvc debacle? consumers should not be beta testing items..if so they should get a partial refund. selling an item that has flaws means it is still in the testing stage and can not command full shop pricing.

as for posting things back.. fraught with danger. as a benq fanboy this stinks. we had those jvc guys hook line and sinker and we go and do what jvc did.. copy the same rush job when there was no need.. oh well greed is king i guess.

6 hours ago, jklow888 said:

From AVS:

while the update to the Ht3550’s Dynamic iris (adding strength settings) will be user upgradeable the update to the HT5550’s Dynamic iris will not. It will require the unit be sent in for service.”

If true will be an inconvenience for 5700 owners and many will wait for units with said firmware before buying. 

no doubt Matt will provide an update and instruction

4 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

stupid just stupid. didnt benq learn from the jvc debacle? consumers should not be beta testing items..if so they should get a partial refund. selling an item that has flaws means it is still in the testing stage and can not command full shop pricing.

as for posting things back.. fraught with danger. as a benq fanboy this stinks. we had those jvc guys hook line and sinker and we go and do what jvc did.. copy the same rush job when there was no need.. oh well greed is king i guess.

I have to agree with you with all your comments. Sht can happen, but thats why the user firmware upgrades are for. Posting back to somewhere a delicate and quite expensive unit means extreme risk in transit (especially for those who scrapped the original packaging) and many days or weeks out of usage not to mention the questionable quality repair here in Australia. This would definitely call for a decent amount of refund if this call back issue will happen. People usually doing beta testings with their consent and with free units from manufacturers. While I love this projector very much experiencing two frightening faults immediately after receiving it is not what I wanted to see from a $4000 toy. 

9 hours ago, jklow888 said:

From AVS:

Settle down!!!  :)

Unless you hear it from me or quoted direct from an Australian source it is just not true.

I have no information in regards to this AT ALL!

Please allow us a few days to determine if this is fixable via a firmware upgrade etc - it was reported in Australia 5 days ago.

No one is a Beta tester - unless we ask them to be!

• Like 1

Good vid Matt ; properly emulating the traditional '" tossing of the accessories'' too :) Good point made about using an anamorphic lens to retain full resolution when its upgraded rather than the inferior zoom method if it had motorised rather than manual controls :cool: 

30 minutes ago, cwt said:

Good vid Matt ; properly emulating the traditional '" tossing of the accessories'' too :) Good point made about using an anamorphic lens to retain full resolution when its upgraded rather than the inferior zoom method if it had motorised rather than manual controls :cool: 

Zooming is quite superior when it comes to 4K over any lens being used. But it's an option, if the budget allows for an extremely good lens that is. None of them are 100% transparent and have quite a few drawbacks such as grid distortion, softening on the edges, pin cushion, some have ghosting from internal reflections, loss of contrast from said internal reflections, chromatic aberrations and a change in image height with and without the lens in place.  Best option is a larger 16:9 screen so no lens required ever.

4 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Zooming is quite superior when it comes to 4K over any lens being used. But it's an option, if the budget allows for an extremely good lens that is. None of them are 100% transparent and have quite a few drawbacks such as grid distortion, softening on the edges, pin cushion, some have ghosting from internal reflections, loss of contrast from said internal reflections, chromatic aberrations and a change in image height with and without the lens in place.  Best option is a larger 16:9 screen so no lens required ever.

Good points Rich ; was remembering what Mark once said about the loss of horizontal resolution when zooming. Best not to hamper the high quality glass lens on the Benq  :)

4 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Best option is a larger 16:9 screen so no lens required ever.

+1.

There is not such thing as a lossless lens at ANY price. An additional lens in the light path with ALWAYS degrade resolution, sharpness, chromatic aberrations, geometric distortions etc, etc. 

1 hour ago, cwt said:

Good points Rich ; was remembering what Mark once said about the loss of horizontal resolution when zooming. Best not to hamper the high quality glass lens on the Benq  :)

I think there was a time when 1080P projectors could benefit from a good lens, particularly when pixels stood out more. Today 4K projector manufacturers have enough trouble with their own lenses without adding more to the mix. And besides that I can't see a 4K pixel grid at 1 metre let alone 4 metres. And projectors are bright enough mostly to light up fairly decent sized screens.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 9:35 AM, Matt_Walker said:

Watch the last 5 minutes to see just how good a $3999 True 4K projector can be  :)

If price is of prime importance the Benq DLP probably has merit, but DLP has always been the bottom of the projector technology heap, especially single chip DLP, which is used because its the cheapest projection system to make NOT because its the best.

Any comparison to cinema DLP projectors is silly, the cinema units use 3 BIG DMD chips (as apposed to 1 small one)  and therefore they can project all colours simultaneously like other 3 chip systems (LCD, LCoS, D-ILA) so no chance of viewer fatigue or distress.

3 chip DLP is very light efficient and gives the highest light output per unit light input, which for commercial cinema applications is critical. This is because there is no need to use a colour wheel and time share a single imaging chip to display the 3 primary colours.  The large imaging chip size used in commercial cinema projectors also adds significant light output efficiency but adds a LOT of cost.

The BIG problem with DLP, at any price, is poor contrast. Its a fundamental limitation of DLP technology that no projector manufactures can address. The sad thing is that the native contrast performance of the new so called "4K" single chip DLP light engines is significantly worse than quality 1080 DLP projectors of 10 years ago, and they where uncompetitive against LCoS and D-ILA tech even back then. The situation has not improved since.

Native contrast is THE most important factor in images "quality", significantly more so then "resolution, in the opinion of most people, especially me. To put the contrast thing into perspective, a 8 year old base model JVC projector has at least 10 times better native contrast than this DLP and others like it.

To describe these DLP projector as "True" 4K is telling fibs. Its a 1080 pixel shift system that does not conform to any DCI 4K standard and certainly not the 4K domestic video standard of 4096 x 2160.  I'm not saying "resolution" is an issue given that "4K" movies are less than 3K at best, just pointing out that these DLP projectors are NOT "true" or "native" 4K and cannot be legitimately be marketed as such even though resolution is plenty good enough. Cant say the same about contrast though.

It should also be noted that if the P3 colour space is used light output will drop by 30 to 50% which is significantly more loss than is typical with non DLP  lamp based projectors and makes "wide gamut" mode effectively useless on anything other than small screens. Time sharing a single imaging chip to display 3 primary colours has its limitations.

I have posted this as a reality check to counter the marketing hype I see presented here.

9 hours ago, Owen said:

+1.

There is not such thing as a lossless lens at ANY price. An additional lens in the light path with ALWAYS degrade resolution, sharpness, chromatic aberrations, geometric distortions etc, etc. 

It's a real shame too because Tony's lens in particular, the only 5 element 2 air gap lens ever made, is a work of art.. It's just that projectors today have caught up and surpassed the need for them in that they have lens memory, pixel size and brightness is a non issue too.