Benq W2700 / W5700 Owners Discussion Thread

i would not be using the throw calculator for this model from the w1700. as stated it has basically been made to slot into the w1070/1090/1110 models throw distance. use one of the many calculators on the net for any of those models. the w1700 is not as short a throw.

as for vertical lens shift its the same as the w1070/70+, w1110

cant benq make their entry pjs in black? 1080p/4k

actually from the throw calculator your pj needs to be 17cm closer at 333 max for a 100" screen. your pj is too far away to get down to 100"

Edited by hopefullguy

15 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

1/ i would not be using the throw calculator for this model from the w1700. as stated it has basically been made to slot into the w1070/1090/1110 models throw distance. use one of the many calculators on the net for any of those models. the w1700 is not as short a throw.

2/ as for vertical lens shift its the same as the w1070/70+, w1110

3/ cant benq make their entry pjs in black? 1080p/4k

4/ actually from the throw calculator your pj needs to be 17cm closer at 333 max for a 100" screen. your pj is too far away to get down to 100"

1/ Use the W1070 - it is the exact same throw model.

2/ Spot on!

3/ Yes - W5700 - or wrap it in black plastic / (I hear you though!!!)  :) 

4/ I think you are correct - I will have a chance to confirm this after tomorrow's launch event...

I see the calibration report doesn't show calibration details .are the adjustments somehow locked in so they can't be lost by a reset etc. 

Are BenQ 3d glasses available in deals for the the projector

Edited by jeffpr
Added

I dragged out my laser measure and thankfully I can (just) do the 333max for the 100" screen :)

I will need to raise the screen height however ... I'm guessing by about 15cm or so.  And that is easy.

So looks like I'm good to go.

• Love 1

for those needing hdmi cables to go with a new projector the comsol hd pr 100..... 10 mt cable which gets a lot of love here is $35 at cpl online avail to pickup around melbourne .also the comsol 1 mt   hd pr 1m ....cable is $12. the only downside is lacking officeworks easy refunds

Edited by jeffpr
Added
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Matt_Walker said:

Thanks Nathan.

I will be in a position to reveal that tomorrow - sorry to keep you waiting!  :(

What time tomorrow??

Edited by jeffpr
Added

Ok so here it is ... hot off the press and coming to you direct from inside the uber I am in!

W2700 - $2,499 and available at the end of this month.

W5700 - $3,999 and available mid April 2019 (4 weeks approx)

This is a game changer!!

On 10/03/2019 at 8:30 PM, betty boop said:

Epson 9300 on run out ? Would seem obvious direct replacement ?

Any suggestions to how will the W2700 stack up to the TW9300?  I just got an Email from Epson for refurb TW9300 with 3year wty for $2400 & I'm obviously familiar with the Epson and it's installation flexibility is better...

Thanks

Nathan

Edited by jmone

2 hours ago, jmone said:

Any suggestions to how will the W2700 stack up to the TW9300?  I just got an Email from Epson for refurb TW9300 with 3year wty for $2400 & I'm obviously familiar with the Epson and it's installation flexibility is better...

Thanks

Nathan

If the 2700 is really the old 1000 series BenQ level thing I’d personally take the Epson any day of week. And in reality I’d suggest the BenQ 5700 is really the line ball competitor to Epson 9300/9400. Both price and capability. Infact is suggest just looking at blurbs on what 5700 capable of, for money it looks like a cracker. You’d want to be sure your ok with dlps though. Prob best see in person :)

For this PJ I'm not going over $2.5K, so it is either a direct swap of the dead TW9000 for a TW9300 and be done with it or cross over to the 2700 (though I admit to never owning a 1 Chip / Colour Wheel PJ before).

Been a crazy couple of days - launching new products is hard.

OK - trying to be impartial here.

TW9300 is older tech based on 5 year old (TW9000/TW9100/TW9200) architecture and utilising LCD 1080P e Shift tech.  But has a plus side with 3 year warranty and lens shift (if you like / need that)

Before you jump - wait a week and see the BenQ in real life - there will be places offering side by side demo's - the differences will be much clearer for you then!

Vision (like sound) is such a personal thing - specs mean nothing (they are just numbers) it's what YOU see that counts.

I know thats not a great help but its the best advice I can give you.

Cheers,

Matt

1 minute ago, jmone said:

One big downside of the TW9300 is it's lower spec 10.2Gbs HDMI chip set.... so no 4:4:4 on UHD at higher frame rates.  Kinda of a limitation for a UHD Beamer.  

For uhd it is actually only limitation for one uhd disc that’s it. The actual standard is 4:2:0

where could limit is gaming or streaming :) like the Sony’s Epson been slow to update this only with new 9400 :) 

7 minutes ago, jmone said:

One big downside of the TW9300 is it's lower spec 10.2Gbs HDMI chip set.... so no 4:4:4 on UHD at higher frame rates.  Kinda of a limitation for a UHD Beamer.  

Also not UHD - its 1080p x 2 

UHD (or True 4K) is 8.3 million indiviully addressable pixels on the screen at any given point in time.  (Sony is 8.8m)

Eshift (Epson and JVC) only give you 4.1m pixels including the new TW9400 - good but not 4K or UHD

FYI - I've already bumped into the HDMI limits even with 18Gbps on my JVC x7500 driven from an HTPC!  Thankfully, madVR's HDR --> SDR mapping is making it all work well on my main HT setup without having to go above 8-bit.  I have the one and only HFR HDR UHD (Billy Lynn) and I'm thankfully, I'm unlikely to watch it again!  The other issue is I also shoot UHD 50fps Video from my video cam (Canon XF400 and GoPro5) and while these are also 4:2:0 I'm using madVR for the Chroma scaling so this would be out with the Epson.  I've already spent many many hours on my X7500 setup working around the 18Gbps limit and as this is just a secondary setup it is PITA I'd prefer to avoid if possible.

12 minutes ago, Matt_Walker said:

Also not UHD - its 1080p x 2 

UHD (or True 4K) is 8.3 million indiviully addressable pixels on the screen at any given point in time.  (Sony is 8.8m)

Eshift (Epson and JVC) only give you 4.1m pixels including the new TW9400 - good but not 4K or UHD

But isn’t DLPs 4K still really only eshifting Matt :) ie still only uses same 0.66 inch chip found in 1080p units,

note article below from kris deleting technical writer at sound vision magazine :)

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/dlps-4k-really-4k

“Texas Instruments has upped the DLP game with the recent rollout of their newest digital micromirror device (DMD), claiming full Ultra HD performance. The 0.66-inch chip has nearly the same physical dimensions as the DLP chip found today in many 1080p home theater and business application projectors. It features a native resolution of 2716 x 1528 pixels, which combined with an optical actuator used for pixel shifting, allows for an onscreen image of 8.3 million pixels—roughly the same as a native 3840 x 2160 UHD imaging chip. The chip’s compact size is said to allow for more cost-effective manufacturing—and has resulted in a new $2,000 low price point for at least one Optoma 4K projector.”

Not that really have a problem with e shift, in reality it delivers about what’s possible via uhd :) or what’s visible in reality in most domestic settings. Certainly a good step forward from blu-Ray with not just res but wcg and HDR bringing together gains :)

Yes and no.

E shift is 1080P x 2

Wobulation (or moving the mirror 2 or 4 times at up to 9000 times a second) is just a different way (The Texas Instruments way) of achieving UHD. 

E shift does not produce 4 million distinct pixels.

BenQ True 4K projectors produce 8.3 million individually addressable pixels (i.e something different on each!) hence the term UHD or True4K being able to be used.

it's not really the same.

• Like 1