Sign in to follow this  
shamrock

network stereo receiver recommendations

hello

i've just purchased a pair of dali zensor 3, and considering adding a subwoofer for a 16m2 room (home bar) eventually.

are you able to recommend a good stereo amplifier with network connectivity (? maybe even bluetooth). this is a pretty basic setup. i'm effectively only going to stream as my source using spotify etc. 

in advance, thank you!

s.

ps. i realise there are quite a few 5.1 network receivers, which i feel is superfluous for my needs as i only intend on running a 2.1 system.

The cambridge audio one does blutooth and radio but not networking, I stream spotify from the iphone to the one over blutooth.  Check it out its a nice unit if you can make it do your streams.

You could try a Denon. We have the DRA-N5 which runs Spotify, Bluetooth, airplay, internet radio and has a sub output. We run them into Q Acoustics 3020 speakers and an old Yamaha sub. Not high end hifi, but still enjoyable. 

thank you for your input. it never occurred to me that i could look at a add-on streaming device to a basic stereo amp.

had a look at your suggestions, they both look like viable candidates. thank you

Yamaha WXA-50 should do everything you want.

I was in a similar situation, I was after a user friendly 2nd affordable system that did everything that an avr did but was designed for 2.1 channels. I settled on the Onkyo TX  8270, it has everything. Spotify, google cast, tidal, MQA, subwoofer put, hdmi inputs, zoning, digital inputs, network app control etc etc. may not be “audiophile” but still better than modern avr’s.

Hi,

a good one would be Naim Audio Uniti Atom. 

hi

yes, i did come across the atom. was thinking it was a little pricey compared to other options, but might help future proof if i upgrade later? i suppose it's more audiophile calibre and when i asked a sales person at a local shop, he suggested the naim wattage was 'very powerful'... i guess he was implying naim was more true to their watt ratings??? 

thanks

sk

Edited by shamrock

Well, Atom looks very cool and sounds very nice and has enough power for your speaker but I wouldn't call it future proof. 

For future proof you need 2 boxes, integrated amp + streamer. The amplifier need to be able to run you possible future speakers. When it comes to streamers nobody knows what's going to happen in the future but it's very likely all current streamers might be useless or lose half of the functionality.  Integrated amp will last for the next 20+ years. 

Valid point. The zensors are a basic starting point... Aim would be to get to bowers wilkins 805d3 or something similar I due course. Maybe I should go the 2 box approach. Food for thought. Thank you 

thanks again for your valuable insight.

i would probably get a decent integrated stereo amplifier and get a streamer on top. the all in one solution from naim looks good, but is quite expensive. i'm feeling quite overwhelmed with the choices... few names keep popping up - marantz, yamaha, nad etc. to complicate matters more, do i go for class D or AB, or even A? A might be a little outside my initial budget... ouch, getting confused :/

18 hours ago, shamrock said:

thanks again for your valuable insight.

i would probably get a decent integrated stereo amplifier and get a streamer on top. the all in one solution from naim looks good, but is quite expensive. i'm feeling quite overwhelmed with the choices... few names keep popping up - marantz, yamaha, nad etc. to complicate matters more, do i go for class D or AB, or even A? A might be a little outside my initial budget... ouch, getting confused 😕

Hi, I'm in the same situation as you and have been looking at separates and one box solutions to stream spotify via wifi cable to bookshelf speakers.

For one box, I just came across the Yamaha R-N602. It has an 80w stereo amp and network + bluetooth etc and is on sale for an incredible $619. The next model up, the RN803, retails for $1400 and is not much different.

I was thinking of getting a Rega amp with separate streamer but am very tempted by the 602, or at least having a listen.

can get a refurb r-n602 yamaha for $450 to fuel the zensor 3s... 🙄 ....

thinking of pulling the trigger. the 802 isn't available and will be at least $1500 from what i can make out

There is noticeable improvement in amplifiers in the price range $1000 to $5000. Usually amps above $3000 can work well with most speakers. When choosing amp not only the synergy with speakers (and/or brand) is important but personal preferences as well. As example Rega, Exposure or Naim are good with timing, rhythm, Musical fidelity, Marantz and Moon are more mellow. 

The power is even more confusing, not always 200w amp is better than 70w. 

thanks.

i'm guessing that's what the sales rep. at the hifi store was talking about when describing the NAIM atom/star etc.

Probably well over budget but I love my Moon Ace ACE. Like Naim, it's wattage figures don't tell the full story, 50WPC but with my reasonably efficient speakers I can easily go past 100db.

I would have originally bought a Naim Star but delay after delay burnt a hole in my wallet and ACE sounded just as good, just doesn't have the album artwork screen.

Edited by blybo

22 hours ago, shamrock said:

can get a refurb r-n602 yamaha for $450 to fuel the zensor 3s... 🙄 ....

thinking of pulling the trigger. the 802 isn't available and will be at least $1500 from what i can make out

None of my business, but if your budget stretches, I think you should get a new 602 for the extra $168. At least that way you get full warranty and its brand new😊

There seems to be very few 803s around. Not sure why. Best price I can find in oz is $1390.

If you get one let us know how it goes!

Hmm looks like the $618 might be gone. Cant find it now. Eastwood Hifi had one for $639 but that may be gone as well.

22 hours ago, Irek said:

There is noticeable improvement in amplifiers in the price range $1000 to $5000. Usually amps above $3000 can work well with most speakers. When choosing amp not only the synergy with speakers (and/or brand) is important but personal preferences as well. As example Rega, Exposure or Naim are good with timing, rhythm, Musical fidelity, Marantz and Moon are more mellow. 

The power is even more confusing, not always 200w amp is better than 70w. 

What about the Rega Elex-r? I'm thinking of this but can't decide on a suitable streamer to match it. Which is also one reason I'm looking at the Yamaha 602 an d 803 instead.

Edited by Rockymc

Hmmm... Do these things break down easily? I suppose they are electronics... 

When it comes to streamers probably the most popular are Yamaha WXC-50 and Blusound Node 2i. + RCA cables for around $50. When it comes to Rega amps I would try to save for Elicit-R. Great timing, dynamic, impressive sound but sort of opposite of relaxing sound. 

Integrated amp should last 20+ years. 

Streamers 5-10 years (probably).