Speaker placement help please..

Hi All,

I’s been a while since I’ve posted but after some life changing events I’m in a new house and looking to get my system set up again. The space is open plan but the gear will need to go at one end of the space. I’ve included a poorly drawn mud map of the two options I thougt might work. One in red and one in green. 

The speakers are Hoyt Beford Type 2’s and a RELB1 sub.

The overall area that I have indicated for speaker placement in the diagram is approx 5m x 7.5m

My preference is probably for the red layout.

If I were to go with the red layout is the best starting point for a listening position as shown as is it the dotted line version?

Can anyone suggest other considerations?

I will probably be placing several rugs in the house as it is timber floors.

The ceiling is open above the area that I plan to use as indicated by the grey dotted line that shows the mezzanine floor. At it’s highest point it’s 7m.

The glass windows/doors on the top of the diagram are not ideal. It’s a lot of glass at 4m x 3m.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

34A399F7-250A-414C-A037-BB8E32CD7155.thumb.jpeg.9306aa57796dea56297cec50ab726b88.jpeg

I would agree with the green, however I think you can push the speakers out further than in that pic, and your seating much further back if you do so. The small right rear wall created by stairs you'll be creating by doing so will not be a problem if you line up the couch with where that wall would be if it extended out. Being so open it should actually sound great.

Edited by Ittaku

Thanks CDave and Ittaku,

Two votes for green. ?

My main concern with the green layout was the huge area of glass behind the speakers but maybe that's not so much of a problem if I move the speakers further away from the glass?

There is also a wall above where the (moved back) seating position would be. Right on the dotted grey line there is a 1.2m high wall that 'floats' between the floor an ceiling. Would this be an issue for acoustics?

Glass is fine because it lets the bass through and is effectively a large bass trap which should help your frequency response at your listening chair. 

Symmetry, symmetry, symmetry, so a green vote for me, although from a sound perspective ther may be better options in the space.  A good big room like that could sound really nice...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, acg said:

Glass is fine because it lets the bass through and is effectively a large bass trap which should help your frequency response at your listening chair. 

Symmetry, symmetry, symmetry, so a green vote for me, although from a sound perspective ther may be better options in the space.  A good big room like that could sound really nice...

Thanks acg,

Good to know on the glass. Open to suggestions on better options, Cheers...

The green, as others have said, is best because of symmetry. That is, if the speakers are equidistant from their relevant walls. If the speakers are to the right as you have drawn then there will not be symmetry.

I would suggest you consider a third option, namely having the speakers along the bathroom wall using 'The Thirds' positioning (I recommend 'The Thirds' for the green arrangement too):

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

This positioning is designed to reduce acoustic problems like bass boom and reflections - it doesn't eliminate them though.

The Thirds will make the right speaker about 1.5 meters out from the stair wall and 2.3m from the bathroom wall so I estimate leaving enough space for the opening of the bathroom door.

That should make the bass more or less OK, but in any case you can use your sub to help with that. The other issue is that you might get reflections off the window side but not the right side. If the 'floating wall' is the height of the mid and high frequency drivers you might be OK on symmetry of reflections. If not, this could be solved by a moveable absorbent panel by the window.

The only issue with the glass is that it might resonate with some of the frequencies.

Of course to get the bass really OK you need room treatment, or DSP, or perhaps more subs.

Edited by Hipper

10 hours ago, Tabletop Joe said:

Thanks acg,

Good to know on the glass. Open to suggestions on better options, Cheers...

Absolutely, I do have a lot of glass too and directly behind my floor standers.

The room never sounded boomy and I never had to bring the speakers too far out into the room.

All I Do is cover the windows with blinds. When listening as they tend to improve the imaging.

• Volunteer
20 hours ago, Tabletop Joe said:

My main concern with the green layout was the huge area of glass behind the speakers

My guess is that the glass will have a worse effect in the red layout. Unless you cover the glass there will be a large amount of reflected sound from your right speaker and far less from the left. This may mess with the tonal balance of your system.