Buying first TT without a dust cover

There's a used technics dd turntable at a decent price but it has no dust cover and cartridge. Seems like buying an aftermarket cover would be worth more than the tt itself. My housemate also has like three cats. The only idea I have is maybe putting a cardboard box on the whole thing when I'm not spinning? I don't really know what to do.

• Like 1

“Cardboard Box”. Whatever you are thinking, don’t do it.

Look elsewhere, save up, you would regret it.

you haven’t mentioned what other components you have or where you are headed but start off on the right foot, you will save heaps in the long run, just choose wisely.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pond44 said:

“Cardboard Box”. Whatever you are thinking, don’t do it.

Look elsewhere, save up, you would regret it.

you haven’t mentioned what other components you have or where you are headed but start off on the right foot, you will save heaps in the long run, just choose wisely.

What he said.

Don't just jump in - yet.

Tell us more - we can very probably save you some money, time and frustration.

Seller has it at 150 negotiable. Listed as not having a cartridge(and clearly doesn't have a headshell) so testing may be a crapshoot other than checking auto-movement of the tonearm and seeing if the platter spins(unless seller has the headshell etc and just doesn't want to part with them but would be open to using them to test). From what I've gathered the hinges of the dust-cover on this TT are prone to coming out leaving a lot of owners using the TT without one.

Listed as being in good condition and the seller seems to be selling off a lot of home stuff indicating some kind of major imminent move perhaps?

Edited by KalahariDessert

19 minutes ago, KalahariDessert said:

It's a technics sl-d2  https://imgur.com/SjkWYhF

I don't have any other components. Pretty much starting from scratch other than having a pair of hd600's

Ugh - don't waste your time.

As my old man used to say: "throwing good money after bad".

Save your money and have a look through our Classifieds for a start.

You'll find trust-worthy locals, who are very keen on audio and know what they are doing, and you'll find complete items that don't need much doing to them. At the very least, you'll find quality turntables with service records and a decent cart to go with!

These guys won't try to sell you just 'anything'.

I know you're in Perth, but something like this (just as one example) comes up here all the time:

Something like this would also suit:

Thie one below was actually my first decent turntable (I paid $650 in Victoria, with a cart) and is incredible value for money - this table went on to become the Technics 1200 spinner all DJ's are familiar with, and even snooty audiophiles have to admit is fantastic bang for buck:

You'll need an amp too of course, with a phono stage built in, and eventually perhaps some speakers.

for now though - DO NOT TOUCH that garbage Technics piece.  ?

20 minutes ago, rondine said:

SL-D2 has essentially the same DD motor as the SL1200, why garbage?

ron

Yes nothing against the model itself Ron, but the photos and the price the OP provided suggest this thing has had a better life elsewhere, and is now 'garbage' material.

Thus, 'ugh'.

3 minutes ago, rondine said:

You must have information I don’t have.

ron

The table has no dust cover (which the OP has specifically noted he needs) and which he notes will cost him more than the table costs. Add a headshell and cart into the mix (all missing) and the OP is looking at north of $350 to get going, which means he can afford instead the tables I noted above as examples.

I have no issue with the SL-D2 whatsoever, fully kitted and seviced/ready to go, but this one is going to be a money pit, clearly, for the reasons I just noted. Why not buy off known quantities, here, instead?

• Like 1

With three cats I would want a tt with a lid that is reasonably secure.  I got one made for my tt when I moved into a 3-cat house.  Those cats weren't at all interested in my tt, but I wanted peace of mind for my mc cart in case they were.  As noted, lots of good tt's come available on the market as good as the SL-D3 that include dustcover, headshell and cartridges. 

Thanks, yeah the cats here would keep me way too paranoid on a TT without a lid. I'm gonna hold out for a decent TT here or get an AT-LP120X when it comes out using zippay lol. Think I'll work backwards and start with speakers, receiver then TT last

• Like 2