Hi guys I am getting new speakers the spendor A9s and wondering if my sansui au-5900 will be enough or will they really need more power to get the most out of them. I potentially have a budget of around $1500. 

I think the Sansui will drive them just fine and it should sound good. But I think they would really like a bit more power to get the best out of them. 

I personally would be keeping the 5900 to drive the to begin with until you get your head around how the Spendors sound and then think about upgrading. Too many changes all at once can make hard to get your head around the how's and whys of how the sound has changed.

Exciting times, have fun.

Splendor A9

Sensitivity 90db  

Impedance 8ohms

Sansui AU-5900

45w into 8ohms

Spend the money on getting the Sansui refurbished, you wont be dissapointed.

regards Bruce

12 hours ago, Pops110 said:

I think the Sansui will drive them just fine and it should sound good. 

Pops. I really like the sound of the sansui and I'm looking forward to see how it drives the spendors. Maybe I will be happy with the sound it produces.  

12 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Splendor A9

Sensitivity 90db  

Impedance 8ohms

Sansui AU-5900

45w into 8ohms

Muon, do u agree the spendor at 90db should be easy to drive. 

I know @pete_mac and @skippy124 are the go to team for sansui  refurb. Is there any one in Brisbane that is recommended. I didn't want to post it if I dont have to

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ashtray83 said:

Muon, do u agree the spendor at 90db should be easy to drive. 

The Sansui is fine, if Slendor's specs are correct they are not a problem :)

Edit: from what I'm reading in reviews of the Slendor's, you need to stay away from amps that are at all bright or analytical, seems these speakers are somewhat fussy in that regard, so amps on the warmer side of neutral seem to be the recommendation.

Edited by Muon N'

Posted (edited)

As Andrew from Audiofix was the Spendor agent ( and is only a short drive from Brissy ) and a fully qualified Tech, then it may be worthwhile giving him a call and see what he can do with the Sansui.   The amp will drive your A9’s well 

Edited by Bill125812

1 hour ago, Bill125812 said:

As Andrew from Audiofix was the Spendor agent ( is is only a short drive from Brissy ) and a fully qualified Tech, then it may be worthwhile giving him a call and see what he can do with the Sansui.   The amp will drive your A9’s well 

Thanks for that advise/option bill .

btw I am still using the cables you made up for me. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Alpine Electrocats
      Item: Sansui 210 A receiver
      Price: $220
      Item Condition: Very good plus/excellent
      Reason for selling: No longer needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

DELIVERY: Firstly, As I am travelling to Sydney next week, I can deliver to anywhere between Canberra and Mosman, that is not to far from the M5. I can also deliver on the lower north shore, inner west for free, or pickup from Watson (ACT) or Mosman

This magnificent Sansui receiver came from the ANU school of music recording studio, where it was used to drive altec monitors.(note the sticker from Canberra institute of the arts- one of many names covering the school of music over the years) It works fine- as a pro use studio amp it was very well maintained.
      One curious feature is that the tuner is AM and Short Wave (MW )

From the HIFI Engine:
      Power output: 30 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
      Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
      Total harmonic distortion: 0.05%
      Input sensitivity: 3.5mV (MM), 200mV (line)
      Signal to noise ratio: 75dB (MM), 105dB (line)
      Output: 200mV (line)
      Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω
      Dimensions: 430 x 136 x 311mm
      Weight: 7kg

Postage is $30.
      I am pricing this very reasonably- quite a way below the  eBay prices, for the benefit of SNA members. So I  am pleased that no one here would be rude enough to make a miserable offer.
      I will contribute $10 to stereonet from the sale 
      Pictures:

• By Snapper()
      Item: Sansui X501 amplifier AND Sansui X-510 CD player
      Price: $SOLD
      Item Condition: 8/10 .. minor scratches
      Reason for selling: if its not used in 12 months it gets sold
      Extra Info: these amps are quite a critical and revealing beastie! If you like detailed listening these are a good option.

This once is in good condition with only minor blemishes and in excellent working condition.

These are 80w RMS and have MM and MC options, source direct and also supports dual speakers. Its also pretty fine looking.

Not much info om CD player other than same period circa 1988. No remote but has digital and analogue out. Works perfectly and new lazers are available on ebay if ever required.

Around 15kg comvined weight.

Pickup Montmorency VIC 3094

• By GTOJOE
      Hey all. So I recently acquired a set of old Sansui speakers. After a bit of googling it appears they might be an ok set. I hooked them up and found 1 speaker sounds different to the other. The midrange is definitely blown and puts out no sound at all. Even when I connect the amp directly to that speaker. So I'm wondering if it's worth repairing these? I know parts will be hard to find.
      From what I can tell from the parts manual the components are idental between the SP-X7700 and the SP-7300. Tell me your thoughts.

I found one of these mid range speakers for sale on ebay USA but they want aud$70 plus post.

• By JayNTH
      Item: Sansui Alpha 907DR
      Price: $1700 plus postage if required.
      Item Condition: Good condition
      Reason for selling: Reduced my collection.
      Extra Info: Imported this amplifier from Japan audio hifi shop back two years time, not being used much as i have many Sansui amps, the amplifier in excellent condition, nothing wrong with it, never been repaired or recapped in Australia, recently being checked and clean up by kimmy audio before listing for sale.
      Small scratches in front face upper the power button. Rusty at the back panel was happened before imported from Japan.  
      Pictures:

• By Phil sydney
      Item: sansui/ pioneer/ marantz/onkyo
      Price: plz see description
      Item Condition: see description
      Reason for selling: surplus 
      Extra Info:
      I am sadly letting go my vintage amp collection as i really dont have time to listen to these beauties.
      I can safely pack these amp with no issues to send interstate . Postage will be $49 all over australia for each amp. Will be triple bubble wrapped and heavy duty box to finish off.

1. Sansui AU -X911DG
      NO REMOTE.!
      this has been my pride for years beautiful black piano face and tons of controls with the legendary sansui sound signature.
      Works flawlessly without any issues. No marks that i can see. 
      Similar one sold for a 1000$ recently but im asking $900.

2. Pioneer SA 8500 ii mark 2
      twin mono transformer. Beautiful treble from this amp. Again lots of tweeks and tone controls. Has marks around the body as seen in pics. Overall 7/10 look wise but works 100%.
      all controls are lubed and no static sounds!!.

asking $600

3. Onkyo A-5
      immaculate looking amp and beautiful 3 dimentional soundstage.
      oversized caps 13000uf
      plenty of grunt.
      Asking $350

4. Marantz 2238B reciever
      very sought after beauty.
      very clean face and insides.
      lubed and works perfectly!!
      Asking $600

I have more pictures if potential buyers need it. Please pm me .
      I think prices are quite fair considering the growing demand of vintage amps!!

thanks for watching!

Pictures: