Jump to content

Eskay

Do we get good value for money when buying high end HI FI

Recommended Posts

My system is definitely not high end. Some people here would spend more on a meter of cable than my system cost. But I am hearing things from my records and CDs Ive never heard and for most of the time this is the sound I was chasing. I'm sure it can get better and I think thats the lure of this hobby. CAN IT SOUND BETTER?!!!!
When choosing my components I look for what I think is good "value". Components that perform well against similarly priced competition. Those components that perform above their price. When someone says you would have to spend substantially more to get a significantly better result, that is "value"

I dont condemn those who spend 6 figures on gear. I would if I could but by then it is probably not about "value". An Aston Martin is not good "value" but it is bloody wonderful.

Edited by crisis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have already once commented on this topic, but then decided to delete it soon after, but what the hell here is version two.

I recently listened to a $33,000 RRP amplifier in my system,  the improvement it made was truly astounding and I don’t use that word lightly, it was like no other bolt in part I had ever heard before and I commented else where on this forum, once something like this is heard it will never be forgotten. Add to that I called the owner of this amp all kinds of names as I now knew how good my system could sound, which made me realise that basically I had only been playing around the edges with most of my other upgrades/improvements.

 

My point, is a $33,000 amp high end? I would imagine for the vast majority of members on this forum, myself included, it is. But in fact that particular amp in their model range is the cheapest by far, one mans top end is another’s entry level.

 

Few of us on this forum, no matter what we believe, have true high end HiFi or for that matter, I bet, have even heard actual high end HiFi in a well set up listening room to know how good it can sound and chances are those that do own it seldom if ever talk about how good their system is because they don’t want to be judged, as happens, by many of those who can only dream , sometimes jealously, about owning such hifi gear.

Back to those of us with average incomes, what is high end HiFi and do we get value for money? 

 

From reading many different threads on this forum I would say the answer is no to perceived value anyway, but what reading those threads often tells me is most, myself included, don’t do their homework and we tend to buy on a whim rather than finding out what truly works in our systems.

Back to that bottom of the model range $33,000 amp, for me that is still crazy money but if it is a end game purchase because of the sq improvements and enjoyment I would get out of having it in my system then chances are it’s good value even at full retail. So to me that is high end audio as it satisfy’s my listening desires and if I can afford it then it’s good value.

 

cheers Terry

 

 

Edited by TerryO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good topic and everyone has their own perception of value - I've wondered if it's worth buying some old gear second hand. But I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy some good gear that will hopefully last many years - famous last words. If you have it for 10 years or more the value per year on a good purchase, such as something on a decent discount but with warranty etc, will probably be worth it. 

 

Whether its worth it when spending $50k+, to me, probably not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TerryO said:

Back to those of us with average incomes, what is high end HiFi and do we get value for money? 

 

From reading many different threads on this forum I would say the answer is no to perceived value anyway, but what reading those threads often tells me is most, myself included, don’t do their homework and we tend to buy on a whim rather than finding out what truly works in our systems.

Back to that bottom of the model range $33,000 amp, for me that is still crazy money but if it is a end game purchase because of the sq improvements and enjoyment I would get out of having it in my system then chances are it’s good value even at full retail. So to me that is high end audio as it satisfy’s my listening desires and if I can afford it then it’s good value.

I wouldn't buy anything costing that much on a whim; it would at least have to pass blind tests (by me) against other products costing a fraction. :ph34r:

Edited by Satanica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got into this hobby a little over a decade back. In my view, high end audio is much worse value today than what it was when I started in this hobby. For the same level of quality, pricing has moved up significantly over the years. For example, at that time, $5k was a fairly high end price point for a single component. Today its almost mainstream.

 

I suspect  as volumes in the market have shrunk over time, manufacturers/distributors/retailers have had to compensate by raising prices. This has continued to build up over time with higher prices pushing even more consumers out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TerryO said:

I have already once commented on this topic, but then decided to delete it soon after, but what the hell here is version two.

I recently listened to a $33,000 RRP amplifier in my system,  the improvement it made was truly astounding and I don’t use that word lightly, it was like no other bolt in part I had ever heard before and I commented else where on this forum, once something like this is heard it will never be forgotten. Add to that I called the owner of this amp all kinds of names as I now knew how good my system could sound, which made me realise that basically I had only been playing around the edges with most of my other upgrades/improvements.

 

My point, is a $33,000 amp high end? I would imagine for the vast majority of members on this forum, myself included, it is. But in fact that particular amp in their model range is the cheapest by far, one mans top end is another’s entry level.

 

Few of us on this forum, no matter what we believe, have true high end HiFi or for that matter, I bet, have even heard actual high end HiFi in a well set up listening room to know how good it can sound and chances are those that do own it seldom if ever talk about how good their system is because they don’t want to be judged, as happens, by many of those who can only dream , sometimes jealously, about owning such hifi gear.

Back to those of us with average incomes, what is high end HiFi and do we get value for money? 

 

From reading many different threads on this forum I would say the answer is no to perceived value anyway, but what reading those threads often tells me is most, myself included, don’t do their homework and we tend to buy on a whim rather than finding out what truly works in our systems.

Back to that bottom of the model range $33,000 amp, for me that is still crazy money but if it is a end game purchase because of the sq improvements and enjoyment I would get out of having it in my system then chances are it’s good value even at full retail. So to me that is high end audio as it satisfy’s my listening desires and if I can afford it then it’s good value.

 

cheers Terry

 

 

Good post Terry...........+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure that buying hi-end is good value for money for the average person, but I do know that the quality and standard of middle of the range hifi has improved significantly compared to a lot of 70's and 80's rubbish.  I'm a huge fan of quality vintage gear, but the cheaper stuff was quite bad compared to what's presently on offer.   These days I believe as a consumer we have great bang for buck options in hifi and HT systems.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting to read everyone's view.

 

I personally think that we get very poor value for money- I am guilty of spending large sums of money on hifi- but.......

when you look at other industries- say car manufacturing that spends millions in R&D, factory set ups, dealer set ups and warranties how can an audio company justify an amp (for example) for $33k ??

I think we are being taken for a ride- if not can some companies please explain how they set their RRP???? I bet you they cant.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eskay said:

Very interesting to read everyone's view.

 

I personally think that we get very poor value for money- I am guilty of spending large sums of money on hifi- but.......

when you look at other industries- say car manufacturing that spends millions in R&D, factory set ups, dealer set ups and warranties how can an audio company justify an amp (for example) for $33k ??

I think we are being taken for a ride- if not can some companies please explain how they set their RRP???? I bet you they cant.
 

 

Agree, but one would need to consider the massive size differential of the the car market and the so called "high end" audio market................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...