What will the Millennials do?

Got home same time as my wife this evening and to our shock - internet is down in Albert Park.  There goes the telly then.

As luck would have it, I received a couple of nice lp's today and put on Thriller. Then Graceland. Then a whole bunch of goth punk stuff from the 80's, all while cooking dinner.

It was bliss.

My wife looked equally pleased as we did not have to resort to a conversation.

Made me think though, what if my whole collection existed in "the cloud" which I thought originally had to do with condensation but is actually just a fancy name for another computer somewhere.

• Like 1

I truly don’t get the millennials bashing.  Whether in my neighbourhood or the workplace, I’ve always found millennials to be hard working, well educated, capable, outward looking, and compassionate.  Everything I see says older generations should be patting themselves on the back for getting us to this point.  They don’t even seem to get hostile about the constant bashing, which is nice.

Edited by Buffle
  • Like 1

Guest Muon N'

Adapt, just like any gen' has to do when change happens.

I'm a baby boomer without babies or boom, but I'm at a loss when the power goes out.

AS for clouds ect', I have no use for them.

Guest Muon N'
3 minutes ago, Buffle said:

I truly don’t get the millennials bashing.  Whether in my neighbourhood or the workplace, I’ve always found millennials to be hard working, well educated, capable, outward looking, and compassionate.  Everything I see says older generations should be patting themselves on the back for getting us to this point.  They don’t even seem to get hostile about the constant bashing, which is nice.

You need to get out and about more ;) there are people of every gen' that are all shades of dysfunctional.

I'm in a well to do, like middle class area and there are some younger guys in these flats that can't even look after their rubbish disposal and dump it other tenants bins. Though this is not because they are Gen' anything, they are just dysfunctional on that level. Education doesn't teach anything about aspects of living in a society, these guys are well educated.

The world is full of shades of gray.

Great post, rodders.  :thumb:

1 hour ago, rodders3 said:

Got home same time as my wife this evening and to our shock - internet is down in Albert Park.  There goes the telly then.

Is this IDSL2 ... or the dreaded NBN?

As luck would have it, I received a couple of nice lp's today and put on Thriller. Then Graceland. Then a whole bunch of goth punk stuff from the 80's, all while cooking dinner.

It was bliss.

My wife looked equally pleased as we did not have to resort to a conversation.

Thriller + Graceland is great!  ... but not having to talk to wifey doesn't sound too good??

But great that you are the one that cooks dinner.  (I cook dinner during weekdays ... my wife does at the weekends. :) )

Made me think though, what if my whole collection existed in "the cloud" which I thought originally had to do with condensation but is actually just a fancy name for another computer somewhere.

Xackly!  Physical media - or your own NAS - rules!  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
Just now, andyr said:

Well, yes - the answer certainly is 42 ... but, so I'm told, there are 50 shades of grey!  :lol:

Andy

Never read it, but did watch Hitchhiker's Guide.

15 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

You need to get out and about more ;) there are people of every gen' that are all shades of dysfunctional.

The world is full of shades of gray.

I think it’s taken for granted that when we’re talking about the characteristics typically ascribed to a generation we’re generalising.  My experience, as a generalisation, is that millennials aren’t at all deserving of many of the prevalent criticisms.

All I see is generational repetition of Socrates’ bias.  Every generation is derided by the previous ones.

If you’d like to speak of individual differences, though....I don’t know, maybe I do need to get out more to learn about dysfunction.  I don’t get much time, though, being busy writing theses in psychology and stuff ?

Edited by Buffle

1 minute ago, Muon N' said:

Never read it, but did watch Hitchhiker's Guide.

Great book, M - haven't seen the fillum.

Neither have I seen the film of "50 Shades" - or read the book - but it has such an on-line presence that I'm aware of it.  :)

Andy

1 minute ago, Buffle said:

All I see is generational repetition of Socrate’s bias.  Every generation is derided by the previous ones.

And 2000 years later it still holds true.  Amazing, I reckon!  :)

1 minute ago, Buffle said:

I don’t get much time, though, being busy writing theses in psychology and stuff ?

Mmmm, well, writing theses in psychology says to me, B, that you are heavily biased as how any generation is described!  :P

Andy

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, andyr said:

Great post, rodders.  :thumb:

Is this IDSL2 ... or the dreaded NBN?

Thriller + Graceland is great!  ... but not having to talk to wifey doesn't sound too good??

But great that you are the one that cooks dinner.  (I cook dinner during weekdays ... my wife does at the weekends. :) )

Xackly!  Physical media - or your own NAS - rules!  :lol:

Andy

Ha... all in jest Andy! The telly is hooked up via optus cable fetch thingy.

Wifey and I have great conversations such as "it's too loud....turn it down" and "what, I can't hear you".

I am a Gen X and am amused by how much we pursue the cloud.

We need the CD's and Vinyl even if digitise it,  up sample it to our own cloud? But that could be a Gen X problem
So dito exercise the NAS and we could all learn to cook more.

Guest Muon N'
57 minutes ago, Buffle said:

I think it’s taken for granted that when we’re talking about the characteristics typically ascribed to a generation we’re generalising.  My experience, as a generalisation, is that millennials aren’t at all deserving of many of the prevalent criticisms.

All I see is generational repetition of Socrates’ bias.  Every generation is derided by the previous ones.

If you’d like to speak of individual differences, though....I don’t know, maybe I do need to get out more to learn about dysfunction.  I don’t get much time, though, being busy writing theses in psychology and stuff ?

I prefer not to generalise around generations.

"Every generation is derided by the previous ones"

Some. maybe many will, but not all, but as generalisations do, they paint all with the same brush, justified of not.

Wish you well in your studies.

Edited by Muon N'
typo