bob_m_54

Yamaha AV Controller app (android)

I have recently developed a problem with the Yamaha AV Controller App for Android, on my Samsung Galaxy S5, controlling either of a pair of Yamaha RX-V1071s. It used to be able to navigate my music library, stored on a WD MyCloud which runs Twonky server, using the ID3 data in the files.

I could select Input > PC, then select the Server listed > Music, then I'd get a selection of choices:

All Tracks

Album

Artist

Artist Index

Artist/Album

Genre

etc...

Now all I get is:

All Tracks

Like I said, I have two of the RX-V1071 AV receivers, and it does the same with both of them. Which seems logical anyway because it's the phone communicating with the WD MyCloud's Twonky Server.

Now for the weird bit, the same app on my wife's phone, which is the same as my phone, Samsung Galaxy S5, works perfectly.

I originally thought I had a problem with Twonky, but I rebuilt the database, and no change. That's when I loaded the app onto the wife's phone and found it worked properly on hers.

I have deleted cached/stored data for the app on my phone, then removed and reinstalled the app and it still made no difference.

I can't find any settings in the app that would affect this at all. There are very few App settings anyway.

It was working a couple of weeks ago :(

Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?

Edit: I just had a thought, I had loaded the app on the wife's phone about 2 months ago, not when I was mucking around with it. I'm not sure if mine has been updated, and hers hasn't. I'll have to wait till she gets home to find out.

Edit 2: Both phones have the same version and build number of the Yamaha app. They are both running the same version of Android too.

Edited by bob_m_54

Still haven't found a solution to this problem. Nobody have any ideas on this?

57 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Still haven't found a solution to this problem. Nobody have any ideas on this?

I do not have any experience with the Yamahas nor their App.  But can the Yamaha & Twonky do Upnp and test using say BubbleUpnp?  Note that BubbleUpnp is very sensitive to poor wifi, so not the best option if wifi is not good.

Thanks @Snoopy8 , but the problem seems to be isolated to the app, as it operates on my phone only. It even works correctly on my wife's phone which is the same as mine, and same version of Android, and the same version of the app.

The app was working perfectly prior to this problem setting in too.

I'm streaming from the NAS now, using the receiver's web interface, and it show's all the correct listings for Album, All Tracks, Artist, Artist Index, Artist/Album etc. The music is playing fine, and the album info is correct as shown.

This is what the phone shows:

screengrab-20190313-130424.jpg.b4ea707476ca1b8f0a48bea9454be250.jpg

If I select the only option, "All Tracks", the phone just shows the searching rotating circle, and eventually times out.

This is what the web interface shows on my Linux Laptop, connected via WiFi:

377261625_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1313-11-04.png.ea2c4aed2090e4fe760bfe4c2e1cfe76.png

Posted (edited)

It could be a setting in the App. Have your tried clearing the Android cache? Google for your phone's steps. If that does not solve things, there is the nuclear option of resetting your phone! 🤯 

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Force stopped, deleted data, deleted cache, uninstalled app, re-installed app............................. same problem.

The app has virtually no settings for the actual app, apart from allowing manual entry of the receiver. All other option are for the receiver functionality.

There is one thing I have yet to try, other than re-initialising the phone (not happening lol). Because the music library is pretty big, over 3500 albums, the app may somehow be stuck in a loop from when I accidentally hit "All Tracks" a while ago, and it timed out. But, I am almost positive that I was using it after that with no problems. I need to mask or hide most of the library, so that the app can go through the list "All Tracks" process, then try reversing back up the listing.

It's the only thing I can think of, but if this was the case, removing the data and cache should have fixed that, let alone deleting and re-installing the app again.

20 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Force stopped, deleted data, deleted cache, uninstalled app, re-installed app............................. same problem.

The app has virtually no settings for the actual app, apart from allowing manual entry of the receiver. All other option are for the receiver functionality.

This is App cache.  I am suggesting clearing the Android cache which is a different process, need to Google.

Yes, sorry, I did that too. turn phone off, hold vol up and home buttons, while powering on, select clear cache etc. It didn't make any difference.

But......

and I have no idea how or why......

I was playing with the Twonky control interface, on the WD MyCloud, and blocked access to my phone, hoping to add it once again, once the media receiver database was updated. I wouldn't have thought it would affect the yammy app, because it is only controlling the AV Receiver, but it is reading the DLNA server listings for album, artist etc. But now I couldn't even open the Twonky interface web page on the WD MyCloud via the laptop.

Just about to throw my hands in the air and give up again.

Opened to WD MyCloud web interface, and saw that a firmware update was listed a couple of days ago. Thinking that this could be a very bad idea, I threw caution to the wind and selected "Update Firmware" which would also update Twonky, if there were any updates. (should have noted the version of Twonky currently running). I went away and made a coffee, while update and reboot of the WD Mycloud took place. Came back, had access to WD interface, and Twonky again... phew...

Checked that the Yammy web interface on the lappy was working with streamed files from the WD as it should... yes it did... phew again.

Opened the app on my phone.............. bugger me, it's also working as it should.

It just doesn't make sense though, as it was working on my wife's phone, but not working on mine.

Good to hear it is working!   👍   That is software for you, sometimes things go wrong for no apparent reason!  :shocked: