Music Streamer CXN, Node 2i or...

Hi, I'm looking for a device to stream Spotify via NBN router and also connect a tv to a new Rega Elex-r ($1600 quoted price) or Brio ($1100) amp and bookshelf speakers.

I'm considering the Cambridge Audio CXN ($1100) or Node 2i ($899) with optical inputs for tv sound but these are the most I want to spend on this.

Does anyone have a similar setup and can comment how well these work together or know of any other way to setup cable stream plus tv for a similar price that sounds good?

4 hours ago, wolster said:

Let’s bump this up to see if you can get some responses. I use a Node 2 and it’s great - but I don’t use it for TV.

Thanks, the node 2 has a 3.5 jack input which I think will work for tv. How does it sound with your amp? Do you also find it ok just controlling it with your phone?

Edited by Rockymc

4 hours ago, Batty said:

I use a Yamaha WXC-50, not expensive (RRP around $500) works great once setup, I also do not connect to the TV.

Ok thanks, I'm tempted by the digital screen on the CXN but its a lot extra to spend on one feature. I'm also curious as to how much these Streamers effect the sound quality...

Edited by Rockymc

2 hours ago, Rockymc said:

Thanks, the node 2 has a 3.5 jack input which I think will work for tv. How does it sound with your amp? Do you also find it ok just controlling it with your phone?

The sound is great, particularly for the price. The BluOS app is fine on the phone or ipad. I use it for stored music on portable hard drive, Tidal and internet radio. Can also be used with Spotify.

• Like 1

If the CXN is considered the 'lightweight' version of the 851N, then I would choose the CXN (which is now in their V2 guise) out of the choices that you have. I have not heard others but when I had the 851N in my system, I was very pleased with it whether it was running Spotify, internet radio or playing from the NAS. The screen was useful but I take very little notice of it as it was quite small from a distance. To get the best out of your Rega amp, in my opinion, the CA CXN is the way to go.

• Like 1

Hi Rockymc

Did you end up making a call on this? I’m about to get a streamer for my Elex-r and have the same questions. 

I was also being recommended the HEOS hs2 by the shops but members here seem to feel it’s not as good as Bluesound. 

I use a Node 2 with my TV optical out and it works really well. It auto senses optical if you like or not. 

Streaming spotify via the app is easy and comparing it to my Mac mini streaming Spotify to my Geiseler Gross dac may not seem fair but it still sounds great. The Gross has a wider higher soundstage etc but I’m happy with just using the Node2. Pretty impressive for $500 2nd hand

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Danhifi said:

Hi Rockymc

Did you end up making a call on this? I’m about to get a streamer for my Elex-r and have the same questions. 

I was also being recommended the HEOS hs2 by the shops but members here seem to feel it’s not as good as Bluesound. 

I ended up ordering the WXC-50 still waiting for it to arrive. It was $395 so I thought I may as well save some bucks over a Node2i.

No interest in the Heos.

17 minutes ago, Rockymc said:

I ended up ordering the WXC-50 still waiting for it to arrive. It was $395 so I thought I may as well save some bucks over a Node2i.

No interest in the Heos.

Do let us know how the WXC-50 sounds once you have it setup. Will you be using the internal DAC of the WXC or an external DAC? I'm also on the lookout for a streamer, and the Yammy is one of the options being considered along with Bluesound node and Denon Heos

Just using the WXC's dac. I know buckleys about DAC's so hope the Elex-r and MA Gold speakers combo will provide decent enough sound.

Plus there's no more room on my 8 spot power board!

• Like 1

On 20/03/2019 at 4:05 PM, Rockymc said:

Just using the WXC's dac.

How's the WXC's app user interface? Is it easy to use on a daily basis to stream stuff?

You might want to think about getting a good external DAC in the future when funds permit. The WXC's DAC may be the weak link in your chain. The good thing is that you can still use the WXC as a streamer and connect to a DAC using its digital outputs

43 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

How's the WXC's app user interface? Is it easy to use on a daily basis to stream stuff?

You might want to think about getting a good external DAC in the future when funds permit. The WXC's DAC may be the weak link in your chain. The good thing is that you can still use the WXC as a streamer and connect to a DAC using its digital outputs

I'm still waiting for the WXC and amp to arrive so will advise in a week or so. I think it uses MusicCast which I had on my previous Yamaha AV. I never used it much as we stream using the Spotify app and don't have multiroom setup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockymc said:

I'm still waiting for the WXC and amp to arrive so will advise in a week or so. I think it uses MusicCast which I had on my previous Yamaha AV. I never used it much as we stream using the Spotify app and don't have multiroom setup.

Would like to hear your thoughts once you get this up and running in your setup.

Cheers!