Power Amplifier / Preamp recommendations < $7k

evil c

Hi Clive,

Have you received your power amp?

I'm intrigued by how it sounds along with your new preamp and the Astors. I'm also looking for a good power amp or a couple of monoblocks right now.
If I'm soon in Melbourne, I'll call to see if I can listen to your system.
Cheers.

Nico

HULGICHAUDIO

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HA_Nick said:

Hi Clive,

Have you received your power amp?

I'm intrigued by how it sounds along with your new preamp and the Astors. I'm also looking for a good power amp or a couple of monoblocks right now.
If I'm soon in Melbourne, I'll call to see if I can listen to your system.
Cheers.

Nico

HULGICHAUDIO

Early next week Nick, always welcome to visit - with existing loaner Bryston is fantastic also with home theatre.

Started a movie then realized only in Stereo rather than surround after 10 mins, the Astors sounded so good didn't realise! 

Congratulations!, 
Thanks Nick,
Feeling quite pleased at the moment- more than I expected is all I'm saying so far!

Listening session coming up with a few good pairs of ears tomorrow, so will report more later.
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2019 at 9:56 PM, evil c said:

ok I get the message, will just aim for a long term loan of the Magtech then !

I actually tried a Devaliet 200 and was underwhelmed matched with my speakers, sounded too polite with a lack of dynamics.

I did in fact speak with Nick about the Nords and while work well with a few of his models , we both came to the conclusion that a high current / wattage amp would be more compatible.

Really appreciate your kind gesture BTW !

The Devialet really needs to be a 400 for your speakers the difference when you add the other unit is huge. Also very expensive and can be bettered for less money. The beauty of the Devialet is the digital solution. 

The Devialet really needs to be a 400 for your speakers the difference when you add the other unit is huge. Also very expensive and can be bettered for less money. The beauty of the Devialet is the digital solution. 
The Devaliet was never a serious contender, in terms of I was after solely a gutsy integrated or what I ended up with- separate pre / power amps.

Friend offered to loan one- simple, not putting them down however as brilliant in many aspects such as configuring to your taste.
Interesting your opinion on the 400!

They are great one box solutions for simplifying a system, whereas I like the complications many parts bring!
Go figure! [emoji1]
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, evil c said:

The Devaliet was never a serious contender, in terms of I was after solely a gutsy integrated or what I ended up with- separate pre / power amps.

Friend offered to loan one- simple, not putting them down however as brilliant in many aspects such as configuring to your taste.
Interesting your opinion on the 400!

They are great one box solutions for simplifying a system, whereas I like the complications many parts bring!
Go figure! emoji1.png

I used to to be a Naim fan so I understand many boxes. I use my Devialet  in the family room which isn’t for critical listening and everyone loves it - especially the boss. As far as a one box solution it is excellent but the 2nd box does take it to another level. 

In terms of musicality I don’t think it is even close to my Lavardin IT which is a far more enjoyable amp, although at 55 watts it mightn’t drive your speakers.  I have some Graham LS 5/9s which are a great match. 

Edited by PKay
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, evil c said:

Thanks Nick,
Feeling quite pleased at the moment- more than I expected is all I'm saying so far!

Listening session coming up with a few good pairs of ears tomorrow, so will report more later.

Have you had time to test the new poweramp in your system?

Have you had time to test the new poweramp in your system?

Certainly have Nick!

Had a lovely afternoon GTG with a few friends,  [mention=132814]Anatoly Beaver-Hausen[/mention] [mention=148719]todagt[/mention]   [mention=113111]Point source[/mention] [mention=148389]Peter-C[/mention]    firstly at a Vietnamese Restaurant nearby then back to evil Springs to put the new Bryston 4B3 through it's paces.

Put on many of my usual demo vinyl albums on for reference and the general opinion was very positive with my new amp.

The depth of detail, coupled with the dynamics and superb tonality has to be heard to fully appreciate how good it is!

Pete brought over his Sanders Power amp for a try out and happy to report after hearing all the hype - sounds very good indeed!

Very smooth, dynamic and fantastic in most respects - could happily live with one were my words to Pete, however for me the Bryston provided a tad more raw energy if you like that excited me more.

Mids were great with both amps but liked it slightly more with mine, however I've asked Brian for his Sanders to have an extended stay so I can properly determine it's strengths etc! 

The Hulgich's really need top level amplification with plenty of clean power to reveal their strengths and I feel happy with this combo!

I'm not planning on changing anything anytime soon - just gonna sit back and enjoy what's there!

Special thanks to those who loaned / brought over amps for the testing [mention=148719]todagt[/mention] [mention=148389]Peter-C[/mention] [mention=104378]joz[/mention] [mention=135634]frednork[/mention]

Few pics:

20190328_125115.thumb.jpg.4a171bcde8af484e0206979bf2ce9287.jpg

Anatoly fanning the steam !

20190328_125853.thumb.jpg.86d539f30f93ade986c284f9c5334cee.jpg

The  excellent Sanders power amp wrapped in a blankie!

Bryston camouflaged by cables behind !

20190328_154057.thumb.jpg.15fd082a14521b4fc9695c85c8b49ec1.jpg

The listening (and guzzling) panel.

20190328_155239.thumb.jpg.23d8e63b0f1b5c79377e2349cba2f1bd.jpg

Edited by evil c
  • Like 6

[mention=116153]evil c[/mention]

good see you enjoying it.  

I had to choose between the Bryston and the Magtech.  The Magtech was cheaper on RRP.  Looking forward in hearing what you have to say when you do some more comparisons.  
Cheers Peter, look we did indeed discuss the merits of the Sanders.
And opinion was it might have better synergy with the Maggie's, of which many owners match with it very successfully as you can attest! [emoji6]

17 minutes ago, evil c said:

And opinion was it might have better synergy with the Maggie's, of which many owners match with it very successfully as you can attest! emoji6.png

I’m glad you like the Sanders,  I thought it was just me!   

I have never done the comparison with a Bryston so I can’t comment.  However I’m glad you did and have given some input.  The Bryston is a stunning looking amp. 

• Like 1

And opinion was it might have better synergy with the Maggie's, of which many owners match with it very successfully as you can attest! [emoji6]

Plus, my amp only has 7hrs on the clock, virtually brand new.

10 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Plus, my amp only has 7hrs on the clock, virtually brand new.

Jeez , very concise wrap up of the day Pete ! ?

Only 7 hours???

You Maggie's owners need to work on building on that! ?

• Like 1

Have you tried or considered Parasound amps?
Yes I did in fact hear a JC1 with my Conrad Johnson CT5 tube preamp - sounded very impressive actually.
However as I mentioned ended up with the Bryston 4B3, still very much in honeymoon mode !
Here she is, big black brooding beauty.

20190402_183553.jpeg
  • Like 7

No joking gentlemen, music literally explodes from this amplifier. I also found the level of detail quite astonishing.

A great little party trick to have her nicely cranked up and drop the needle on something particularly dynamic to give a few of the older folk a partial coronary when the rubber hits the road.

I seem to remember Shock the Monkey sounding rather good, eats up well recorded ‘80’s rock/pop.

• Like 1

No joking gentlemen, music literally explodes from this amplifier. I also found the level of detail quite astonishing.

A great little party trick to have her nicely cranked up and drop the needle on something particularly dynamic to give a few of the older folk a partial coronary when the rubber hits the road.

I seem to remember Shock the Monkey sounding rather good, eats up well recorded ‘80’s rock/pop.
Hmmm haven't tried that one yet, will test it out on the missus! [emoji16]
Certainly is dynamic, in a good way.

Yes I did in fact hear a JC1 with my Conrad Johnson CT5 tube preamp - sounded very impressive actually.
However as I mentioned ended up with the Bryston 4B3, still very much in honeymoon mode !
Here she is, big black brooding beauty.

20190402_183553.jpeg.5c6f14899ca10593dd143524b687e522.jpeg
Oh nice! I've wanted to hear a bryston! :)

Huge dynamics, detail and slam without any hint of grain or harshness. I don't know why more people don't own these Amps. (actually I do)

I was personally reluctant to try one myself until one came up in the classifieds (4bsst2) to match with my 803D2. Not a match that is typical (think McIntosh) but yeh, it stayed and the other amps promptly left.

A few GTG's later and all the guests agreed.

Hence why I thought it would be great for the evil one to give one a try. Couldn't hurt right?

And now, he's the proud owner of a 4b3 the lucky bugger.

Clive's system sounds brilliant, he is one very happy man.

Edited by todagt
  • Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
8 minutes ago, todagt said:

Clive's system sounds brilliant, he is one very happy man.

This week ?