Eskay

Opinions on Vincent pre/power amps

Great value for the money and nicely made . Gary the music monster 🎶

On 15/06/2019 at 3:12 AM, Craig_H said:

I'm 3 months late but stumbled across this thread looking for info on the Vincent SP-994 and 998 amplifiers. Had a giggle at "Sound was mostly confined to the speakers with not much of a soundstage between them" ... that sounds more like a speaker problem than amplifier problem to me (whether that be poor choice of speaker, poor speaker design or just not physically placed well).

Put my upgraded/modded Vincent SA-T8 & SP-998 back in to one of my systems and can confirm there's no "chunks missing" or"not much of a soundstage". The Soundstage and Dimensionality is absolutely superb. Seems a very strange anomaly. When matched with similarly high quality Equipment this Combination will easily compete with other Combinations 2-3 times there cost that I've heard. Just superbly Musical.

Posted (edited)

I have owned a Vincent amp for about 10 years (SV233). I would describe it as workman like and extremely well built (remote in particulatur, which is moulded from some kind of metal, deserves praise). My amp pumps out plenty of power but I would call it dull, being in particular somewhat listeless at the top end. Not sure about their other products though.

Edited by Audioshoppin

interesting review Rick, have to ask, why have you still got it?, is it the amp or your other gear being shown up, would like to hear from other owners of the Vincent SV233?

Good value for money.

If Rotel is your price point, but not the sound signature you’re after... have a listen.

I've had so much gear over the past 15 years, and have built up an open mind regarding all sorts of amps.

I owned a pair of Vincent monos, SP "something" and found them utterly lifeless and boring, absolutely no dynamics at all, sent them back to CAV for a Creek EVO....much better. I also heard one of their power amps driving a pair of Dynaudio focus 110 bookshelf, a bit better but kind of dull and cumbersome.  They look value for money but power wise I think I'd prefer a NAD pre/power 150/8 ohms.

That was approx 10 years ago, but just recently Kevin from Class A offered an audition with some PMC 25.26's just to reinforce his high regard for them and maybe change my opinion. I didn't get around to it, but I'm sure Vincent has improved since then judging by their fan base here on SNA.     

6 minutes ago, maximus said:

I've had so much gear over the past 15 years, and have built up an open mind regarding all sorts of amps.

I owned a pair of Vincent monos, SP "something" and found them utterly lifeless and boring, absolutely no dynamics at all, sent them back to CAV for a Creek EVO....much better. I also heard one of their power amps driving a pair of Dynaudio focus 110 bookshelf, a bit better but kind of dull and cumbersome.  They look value for money but power wise I think I'd prefer a NAD pre/power 150/8 ohms.

That was approx 10 years ago, but just recently Kevin from Class A offered an audition with some PMC 25.26's just to reinforce his high regard for them and maybe change my opinion. I didn't get around to it, but I'm sure Vincent has improved since then judging by their fan base here on SNA.     

What speakers were you using? Vincent is beautiful hifi for the money .gary the music monster 🎶

33 minutes ago, maximus said:

Get Kevin to set-up the Vincent SP-998's, although they are deserving of much higher end Speakers than those PMC's. 

39 minutes ago, maximus said:

Dali Ikons for memory and Paradigm S8's, like I said many years ago.

Not familiar with Dali Ikons, but having heard Paradigm S8's on a few occasions, talking about lifeless, dull, no dynamics....