Vincent Owners & Discussion Thread

interesting review Rick, have to ask, why have you still got it?, is it the amp or your other gear being shown up, would like to hear from other owners of the Vincent SV233?

I've had so much gear over the past 15 years, and have built up an open mind regarding all sorts of amps.

I owned a pair of Vincent monos, SP "something" and found them utterly lifeless and boring, absolutely no dynamics at all, sent them back to CAV for a Creek EVO....much better. I also heard one of their power amps driving a pair of Dynaudio focus 110 bookshelf, a bit better but kind of dull and cumbersome.  They look value for money but power wise I think I'd prefer a NAD pre/power 150/8 ohms.

That was approx 10 years ago, but just recently Kevin from Class A offered an audition with some PMC 25.26's just to reinforce his high regard for them and maybe change my opinion. I didn't get around to it, but I'm sure Vincent has improved since then judging by their fan base here on SNA.     

• Like 1

Guest Music monster
6 minutes ago, maximus said:

I've had so much gear over the past 15 years, and have built up an open mind regarding all sorts of amps.

I owned a pair of Vincent monos, SP "something" and found them utterly lifeless and boring, absolutely no dynamics at all, sent them back to CAV for a Creek EVO....much better. I also heard one of their power amps driving a pair of Dynaudio focus 110 bookshelf, a bit better but kind of dull and cumbersome.  They look value for money but power wise I think I'd prefer a NAD pre/power 150/8 ohms.

That was approx 10 years ago, but just recently Kevin from Class A offered an audition with some PMC 25.26's just to reinforce his high regard for them and maybe change my opinion. I didn't get around to it, but I'm sure Vincent has improved since then judging by their fan base here on SNA.     

What speakers were you using? Vincent is beautiful hifi for the money .gary the music monster ?

33 minutes ago, maximus said:

Get Kevin to set-up the Vincent SP-998's, although they are deserving of much higher end Speakers than those PMC's. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 08/03/2019 at 2:35 PM, initforthemusic said:

Havn't heard Marantz for a while, but of the others, most of the Vincent gear is in another Stratosphere better than Cambridge, Yamaha, Rotel. Just light years ahead of it.

I have Vincent SA 31 mk / SP 331 mk, beats Rotel separates, outclasses my Naim Uniti, much, much better than similar priced Cambridge Audio. (All from personal experience). The CA had perhaps a tad MORE bass but not nearly as smooth or controlled.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ChaddoNobby said:

I have Vincent SA 31 mk / SP 331 mk, beats Rotel separates, outclasses my Naim Uniti, much, much better than similar priced Cambridge Audio. (All from personal experience). The CA had perhaps a tad MORE bass but not nearly as smooth or controlled.

I think that Vincent Combo of SA 31MK/SP331MK is a real "Sweet Spot" in the Vincent line. When set-up with quality Speakers and Front-End, very hard to beat for anywhere near the Money. It will absolutely thrash similar Rotel, Naim, Cambridge and the like. I have Set this Combo up for a few People and they love it.

When thinking about it the issue with Vincent (most of it) it is too Cheap. Because of this some People may be setting it up with similarly priced Equipment. Most of it should be partnered with much more expensive/ quality Equipment. For eg. I have no doubt the SA-T8 (with upgraded Tubes)/SP-998 Mono's could easily be matched with High Quality $50-100K. Speakers. 

Most of the Vincent Products are suited to Listeners who prefer that Musically Involving, Toe-Tapping "Live Music" Presentation, rather than the Clinical, Cold, Etched "Studio" type Presentation typical of say some Krell, ME etc. which some prefer. 

I don't recommend all Vincent Products unequivocally though. A Stereonet Member PM'd  recently about the SP-994 Power Amp, but I advised him against it. It's a "Big Rock'N' Roll Amp, that need's to be "Smoothed Over". Need's careful Matching with Components, I actually fluked getting it pretty right when I swapped out another Power Amp and instead of putting in some Higher End Speaker Cables I just left the same Cables. Lo and behold these matched beautifully and Tamed this Beast somewhat.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
On 15/06/2019 at 3:12 AM, Craig_H said:

I'm 3 months late but stumbled across this thread looking for info on the Vincent SP-994 and 998 amplifiers. Had a giggle at "Sound was mostly confined to the speakers with not much of a soundstage between them" ... that sounds more like a speaker problem than amplifier problem to me (whether that be poor choice of speaker, poor speaker design or just not physically placed well).

Even a bad match with speaker cables can be the cause, as can be the matching with speakers, the system is a larger circuit, and everything plays It's part an either plays well within that circuit or doesn't :thumb:

On 15/07/2019 at 11:03 PM, initforthemusic said:

Get Kevin to set-up the Vincent SP-998's, although they are deserving of much higher end Speakers than those PMC's. 

I wouldn't say those PMC's are entry level by any means. Bryston partner with them.

• 1 month later...

I have Vincent SA31MK / SP331MK I have tried several others and still have separate Naim system. Vincent is more detailed and dynamic, they suit my speakers, Audio Physic Yara ii classics which need a little warmth.  Vienna Acoustics are a very good partner, I have tried them  and I am trying to stop myself buying the Beethoven Baby Grands. By the way also tried with PMC's, from memory the 25.26, nice but hardly better than the AP's. They sounded a little slow with the Vincent set up.

Edited by ChaddoNobby

I have the Vincent SV-237 integrated which pairs very very well with the Osborn Eos Reference, Halcro EC800 and the Klein Gross DAC. I rolled the stock 12ax7 with a Psvane. Although I miss a touch of the valve sound I had with the Opera Consonance M100,  on most material it just does a better job and has better synergy with my front end  Hard to fault it really.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I have the opportunity to buy Vincent SA-T8 and Vincent SA-32 for the same price. I saw that the SA-T8 uses 1 x 12 AX7B and 2 x 12AU7, while the SA-32 uses 4 x 6N16, and both are balanced, which for me is very important. But, I have no idea of the sound, nor the level of performance. Which would be better? Thanks.

On 08/03/2019 at 5:37 AM, Ittaku said:

Last time I heard them was at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. Didn't pay much attention to what models they were or what the associated equipment was even; they just gave me the same experience I'd heard before from them.

Actually considering the level of your gear and what I've read of your wonderful OB's in the DIY section I rather suspect that you're simply used to a far higher level of listening experience.

Vincent gear is priced somewhat lower on average, especially when the sales are on. It caters to a different segment of the market. Better than the AVR's many are used to and a good segment of the 2 channel amps out there too. I don't mean to diss it in any way, merely acknowledge that they're rather good in their price range.

2 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Actually considering the level of your gear and what I've read of your wonderful OB's in the DIY section I rather suspect that you're simply used to a far higher level of listening experience.

That's a fair assumption but I was trying to compare them to similarly priced hardware. Usually the hardware tries to be more modest in features and/or power capabilities and leads to a more musical sound in my experience.

9 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

That's a fair assumption but I was trying to compare them to similarly priced hardware. Usually the hardware tries to be more modest in features and/or power capabilities and leads to a more musical sound in my experience.

Yes, my experience also. The simpler the component the better it sounds. Do one thing and do it well.

If you're ever in Brisbane I wouldn't mind seeing how you like my system. I don't believe it will be quite up with yours though it shouldn't be put to shame at least  :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MattyW said:

If you're ever in Brisbane I wouldn't mind seeing how you like my system. I don't believe it will be quite up with yours though it shouldn't be put to shame at least  :)

Thanks! I'm always up for listening to a system at any price range. I love hearing the different ways people lovingly put together the sound they're looking for, and there is no "right way."  Just don't ask me to pass judgement on the sound of power cables.

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Thanks! I'm always up for listening to a system at any price range. I love hearing the different ways people lovingly put together the sound they're looking for, and there is no "right way."  Just don't ask me to pass judgement on the sound of power cables.

Lol, I've heard differences in power cables but it's so small I don't believe it's in any way worthwhile. I don't think I could reliably tell in a blind test.

6 hours ago, FelipeRolim said:

Hello everyone. I have the opportunity to buy Vincent SA-T8 and Vincent SA-32 for the same price. I saw that the SA-T8 uses 1 x 12 AX7B and 2 x 12AU7, while the SA-32 uses 4 x 6N16, and both are balanced, which for me is very important. But, I have no idea of the sound, nor the level of performance. Which would be better? Thanks.

Don't know the SA-32, but can highly Recommend the SA-T8. Roll the Tubes, the Psvanes sound great in this Pre.. By the way there's 3 - 12AX7's & 4 -12AU7's. I've also had Cap upgrade done. With these Mod's it's an Outstanding Pre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

Vincent .... Better than the AVR's many are used to and a good segment of the 2 channel amps out there too. I don't mean to diss it in any way, merely acknowledge that they're rather good in their price range.

Understand you're not dissing the Vincents but I'd hardly put them in the "better than AVR" category.  I've been living with mine for a few months now and on the verge of writing a review (post my thread re going back to SS from valves where a hi brid was suggested). Compared to some highly regarded valve and SS integrateds I've owned and heard the Vincent is better in many respects.  Re the price point, I think I'd have to spend a fair bit north of 5K to go better or even sideways. 

ARC gear and the like is, of course, in another realm but subject to the LODR.