Vincent Owners & Discussion Thread

DeanB

I thought the pairing and match up with the Vienna Acoustics worked very well- I was actually quite surprised at just how good the set up sounded. Considering the setup is available brand new for around the $8k mark- CD,Pre,Power and speakers I thought it was an exceptional value system.

The Vincent SV 238 Mk for me has been 32kg of Joy. I’m thrilled with the performance and cost. Very, very happy. Update: nearly a year later. LOVE THIS THING. Beautiful control over my Dyn Confidence C1s. (Just like previously with the Dyn Contours S1.4LEs).

After a few different amps, I’ve settled into this brand across both of my systems. I find them nice looking, well engineered and they provide me with the joy I want out of my speakers all day long.

This is proper geographical arbitrage in my opinion - stellar equipment at wonderful prices. 

• SA-T1: Good budget Tube Pre & SP-331 power amp: Great for what it is. No class A here, but handles my Usher Tiny Dancer X (DMDs) with plenty finesse. 

(And I agree, their remote is truly a thing of beauty, I don't know why even good Japanese manufacturer's often provide plastic pieces of crap!)

Edited by JulianR

1 minute ago, 08Boss302 said:

@Asedillo

I’m off to take a look and listen to one of these SV237s and also the SV700 next week

how have you found yours? what speakers connected to it?

Were the std tubes not to your liking? 

Hi, IMHO, SV237 is a good amp for it's price.  To me, it sounds better than my Marantz PM17. 

When I bought this one (Classaaudio.com.au) it comes with EH gold pins.  It sounds ok with EH but I find GL more balanced.  

Good luck with your future Vincent :)

Cheers,

its hard to find a negative on these or the sv700

ive got itchy feet for a change (sideways) or upgrade and a bit more power than I currently have but prefer warmer side of things.

wete the original tubes bright or simply an experimental process as per the hobby and you’ve found GL more balanced.

if I purchase I don’t want to start tube rolling immediately 

Hard to know what Ittaku experienced without knowing Specific Model #'s, Associated Equipment etc.

The SA-T8 (with upgraded Tubes) and SP-998 Mono's Combination has Superb Dimensionality, Soundstaging and will Drive almost any Domestic Loudspeaker effortlessly.

As stated there are a few Models that can be fussy with wrong Associated Equipment, Poor Source etc.

5 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

Hard to know what Ittaku experienced without knowing Specific Model #'s, Associated Equipment etc.

Last time I heard them was at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. Didn't pay much attention to what models they were or what the associated equipment was even; they just gave me the same experience I'd heard before from them.

Edited by Ittaku

Can I ask in lamens terms what is the difference or differences between the SP-20 and the SP-332 or even the SP-331?

I cant seem to find any detail on the SP20

Next week I am visiting a store to suss out the SV-700 and the SV-237mk, i have Kef q950's floor standers and hoping the Vincent line has the power and drive to get the most out of the Kef which can drop to 3.2ohm.   I am hoping that the Vincent will bring out the bottom end in the KEF. They are not considered a hard speaker to drive but do like power if that makes sense..

Whilst the store doesn't have my speakers there may be a chance of a home demo so need to consider which amp to look at first up.

Also i am considering the option of the SP 332 and the relevant pre amp (not sure what the matching pre is to the SP 332) but havent looked too far down this path as yet

add to this @JulianR recommendations from posts above the SV238 also sounds interesting too.

how would it compare to the SV-237mk or SV-700 in power and sound delivery?

Edited by 08Boss302

5 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Last time I heard them was at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. Didn't pay much attention to what models they were or what the associated equipment was even; they just gave me the same experience I'd heard before from them.

I've found that Hi-Fi Show's can sometimes be difficult to get an accurate guide on Equipment. When set up well in the right environment the better Vincent Equipment can sound superb, able to compete with much more expensive gear.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

@08Boss302

The SP-20 is an Anniversary edition of SP-331 with upgraded Components. Havn't heard the SV-700, but is reportedly very good.

thank you @initforthemusic

that would explain why i cant find a retail store to view it on etc!

any opinion/thoughts on the SV 237mk?  I am going to check both out but unsure at present on the benefits of one vs the other as the power (watts 8ohm and 4ohm) on the SV237 seems to be higher than on the SV700.

my music preferences sit in the heavy metal and hard rock genres and my Vincent PHO-8 i've had for years is great so I am very keen to hear the range a bit further and hope I am as pleased with what i hear using my KEF's as others have been with Vincent gear in their system.

....Now with this thread the idea of separates is also a possibility - i guess the SP-331 would be my option based on your information of the SP-20 being ltd edt model.

On 02/03/2019 at 7:04 AM, Ittaku said:

I'm going to risk my head here since there are obviously many fans but I'd like to give a counter-opinion since you did ask for people's opinions. I've always had a bad experience with them when I've heard them demonstrated. Hollow lifeless sound that never seems to drive any gear they match them with very well. Sound stage missing great chunks between the speakers. They sound like cheap valve gear made for bling to me.

Agreed. 

One of the more disappointing brands I've heard. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

thank you @initforthemusic

that would explain why i cant find a retail store to view it on etc!

any opinion/thoughts on the SV 237mk?  I am going to check both out but unsure at present on the benefits of one vs the other as the power (watts 8ohm and 4ohm) on the SV237 seems to be higher than on the SV700.

my music preferences sit in the heavy metal and hard rock genres and my Vincent PHO-8 i've had for years is great so I am very keen to hear the range a bit further and hope I am as pleased with what i hear using my KEF's as others have been with Vincent gear in their system.

....Now with this thread the idea of separates is also a possibility - i guess the SP-331 would be my option based on your information of the SP-20 being ltd edt model.

No experience with SV237MK. I prefer seperates, have heard the SP-331MK, thought it was good for the $$$. I've set up a few PHO8's, pretty nice budget Phono.

1 hour ago, initforthemusic said:

I've found that Hi-Fi Show's can sometimes be difficult to get an accurate guide on Equipment. When set up well in the right environment the better Vincent Equipment can sound superb, able to compete with much more expensive gear.

Sure, but the hi-fi show reaffirmed the sound I'd heard from them before, even lovingly set up in home environments.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1

I found when set up well in fantastic rooms it showed just how poorly they competed with other brands at the same price or cheaper. More expensive was chalk and cheese

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I found when set up well in fantastic rooms it showed just how poorly they competed with other brands at the same price or cheaper. More expensive was chalk and cheese

any examples of the other brands? While I am out and about I can throw them on the list...

Interesting.........

I auditioned the SP332 power and S32 pre last week with my speakers- and I was very impressed with the sound, especially at the price point they are at.

Compared to my full Naim system they represent far better buying for the buck.

You have to audition them yourself to see if you like the sound. 

• Like 2

any examples of the other brands? While I am out and about I can throw them on the list...
Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Primare, Rega
Throwing them in a rack beside Plinius, McIntosh, Audio Research etc showed a lot. A cheaper Plinius integrated floored the Vincent pre and monos.
I was lucky to have worked in the industry, had great rooms and could compare stuff. I learnt a lot.
Just try demo as much as you can and switch between items.

Vincent isn't bad or offensive either. Most stuff sounds pretty good really. I just think there is better for the money.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Throwing them in a rack beside Plinius, McIntosh, Audio Research etc showed a lot. A cheaper Plinius integrated floored the Vincent pre and monos.
I was lucky to have worked in the industry, had great rooms and could compare stuff. I learnt a lot.

Vincent isn't bad or offensive either. Most stuff sounds pretty good really. I just think there is better for the money.

I've had the opposite experience. The Vincent equipment absolutely annihilated Cambridge, Rega, Primare. And Competed with or beat some Audio Research. Very interesting indeed.

• Like 2

I've had the opposite experience. The Vincent equipment absolutely annihilated Cambridge, Rega, Primare. And Competed with or beat some Audio Research. Very interesting indeed.
How cool is that? We all hear differently. Glad you found what you like
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

thanks @Bunno77

I have and love my Marantz AVR, their sound is great to my ears.  The PM series is on my radar and so is the PM14. 

Cambridge CX I have auditioned and Rega and didnt take too but i'll check in Plinius and Audio Research.

thanks for the info

sorry for the brief hijack on the OP question - back to normal programming!

I am still very much looking forward to some time with the Vincent gear next week.  It really is hard to find much negative review or experiences with their gear.

• Like 2

Guest thathifiguy
1 hour ago, initforthemusic said:

My experience also echoed this. Vs Cambridge, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel etc the Vincent gear blew them out of the park.

1 minute ago, thathifiguy said:

My experience also echoed this. Vs Cambridge, Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel etc the Vincent gear blew them out of the park.

Havn't heard Marantz for a while, but of the others, most of the Vincent gear is in another Stratosphere better than Cambridge, Yamaha, Rotel. Just light years ahead of it.

Am i correct in understanding that he parallels between Vincent and Shengya are of the past?  There were a lot of comparisons made of similarities etc that seem to no longer be made.

The new stuff is all German designed and built in China but overseen by German QC? And I think a new designer in the last 2-3yrs, Well, for the SV237 anyway it seems he made some changes from the 236 to the 237

is this the case for the power and pre lines also?