Eskay

Opinions on Vincent pre/power amps

HI

Just wondering what people thought of Vincent equipment- their pre/power combinations and CD players.

I had a look at some (but not a listen) and they seem well made and very well priced.

Thanks

Eskay

Good news is I have an integrated Vincent 236mk and it is very impressive, night and day improvement over any other amp I’ve compared it to, with various speakers.

Bad news is my pool of knowledge is limited to various amps and home theatre amps (Cambridge/nad/Marantz/exposure) all of which retailed at a price bracket a $1000 or so under the said Vincent. 

But I rate the Vincent highly.

There is a thread that @initforthemusic wrote that I found the other day on the power and pre set up he is using it Vincent gear . Very informative. Some other posts in there from other users also.

I am having another good look at the Vincent SV237 integrated as I have itchy feet so will watch your thread also for information.

if youre in Melbourne selby and class a audio are stockists. 

im going to try head down to one or the other this week at some point for look n listen. 

Edited by 08Boss302

4 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

Big fan, exceptionally good performance for the $$

D23B7284-B4C5-49AB-A0FF-CB542DFC961D.jpeg

@Eskay.

FYI, here is a summary of what I have:

Pre's:

SA-T8: Replace the supplied Tubes, they are rubbish. A Sublime Pre. Music flows effortlessly. Cap upgrade also recommended.

SA-94: Very revealing, but very fussy, need's careful matching. Very fast. Needs Tubes from Source to sound it's best. Beautiful match with SP998 Mono's. In the right set up, sounds superb, but ordinary in the wrong set-up.

SA-T1: Good budget Tube Pre. Can't compete with the others.

Power Amps:

SP-998 Mono Blocks: Absolutely gorgeous. Great Grip and Bass Slam. Can compete with much more expensive Power Amps.

SP-T700 Monos: Touch of Warmth, being hybrid. Punchy Bass rather than Slam.

SP-994 Power: This one's a bit hit or miss. In the right set up can sound very good. Needs careful matching and preferably Tubes in front. A Big Rock 'n' Roll Amp.

CD Players:

CD-S8: Lovely CD Player. No Digital Fatigue whatsoever. Quite dynamic with a hint of Warmth.

CD-S7DAC: Very close in sound to the CD-S8. Just doesn't feel as Solid, and Mechanism can be iffy.

I've also heard but don't own:

SA-T7: Nice, but not as good as SA-T8.

SA-31MK & Sp-331MK, very good for the money.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much initfothemusic

very informative and greatly appreciated- that really helps me.

Hi initforthemusic

Have you come across the SA32 pre and SP332 power?

I auditoned them today (the dealer did not have the 31MK/331MK so I could not compare them.

Any thoughts on them?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Eskay said:

Hi initforthemusic

I auditoned them today (the dealer did not have the 31MK/331MK so I could not compare them.

Any thoughts on them?

Thanks

No. Can't help you there.

7 hours ago, Eskay said:

Hi initforthemusic

Any thoughts on them?

Thanks

What were your thoughts on the pairing, Eskay?

What speakers, yours or something else?

I'm going to risk my head here since there are obviously many fans but I'd like to give a counter-opinion since you did ask for people's opinions. I've always had a bad experience with them when I've heard them demonstrated. Hollow lifeless sound that never seems to drive any gear they match them with very well. Sound stage missing great chunks between the speakers. They sound like cheap valve gear made for bling to me.

Ittaku

.......so you liked the Vincent gear!  Obviously just kidding.

your opinion and feedback are most welcome and I appreciate the time taken to post. Interestingly I auditioned a pre/power setup yesterday with a pair of my own speakers(Vienna Acoustic Haydn SE) and I was very surprised at how good the setup sounded. Detail, soundstage and low end bass were very impressive. The speakers sounded a lot bigger than the small(ish) stand mounts that they are.

What this goes to reinforce is that the sound from HI FI gear is very personal.

Thanks

48 minutes ago, Eskay said:

.......so you liked the Vincent gear!

I do. So much so that I am expecting an sp-20 to arrive next week. My sp-331 sounds great to me. My research tells me the new model sp-332 has 8 output transistors, 250 watt at 4 ohm. The older have 12 output transistors, 300 watt at 4 ohm. I am no expert and haven't listened to a lot to compare, but obviously I love the sound. My sp-331 is silver and may be for sale in the near future.