SOLD: FS: Akai AM-2600 Vintage Integrated Amp

SOLD

Item: Akai AM-2600 Integrated Amplifier
Price: $250
Item Condition: Very good to excellent, depending on your standards. See pics for two small scratches, and a bit of lettering rubbed off
Reason for selling: Just got my AU-517 recapped and selling all my other amps
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: Your entry into 1970s bling hifi, with 10kg of output meters and switches. 60 wpc at 8 ohms. Everything works, and I was told that it was basically performing to spec when I bought it off pete_mac, who was selling it for his dad, a few years ago. Certainly it sounds great, but I'm a musician rather than audiophile. Auditions welcome, if you want a listen through my old BC1s, or just take pot luck, take it home, turn off the lights and be mesmerised by the output meters.

There are two phono inputs. Both 3mV sensitivity, but one is switchable between 33, 47 or 100 kOhms, with the other set at 50 kOhms. Two switched power outputs and one unswitched.

Here is the description from the ad I bought it off, from a more audiophile pov, although he is much more conservative with the condition report:

"This AKAI AM-2600 is a lovely example of AKAI's late 70's amps, offering 2 x 60WRMS of power and a multitude of connection options, including adjustable loading for the phono stage. There's also more knobs and dials than you can poke a stick at, with a few nice options like two different loudness contours, -15 and -30dB attenuation, and adjustable turnover frequencies for the bass and treble adjustment. The lovely VU power meters look fantastic and there is switch to adjust the sensitivity of the meters, meaning you can listen at low levels and still enjoy the meters bouncing around.

Cosmetically, I'd rate it a conservative 7 out of 10. There are a few marks on the veneered cover, and the front face has a scratch near the power button (which, incidentally, has had the 'POWER' silk screening rubbed off the front fascia). There are also a few minor marks to the edges of the front face, but they are hard to photograph well. Lastly, there is a licence number engraved on the rear panel, but I have touched it up with black Artline texta and you can hardly see it now.

The sound is typical of the late 70's Kenwood and Pioneer amps - very clean, clear, accurate and punchy.

The amp has been freshly serviced and cleaned, with the bias set to factory specs and the VU power meters calibrated.  All switches and pots have been cleaned for smooth, noise-free operation. The amp is in excellent working order! "

If you like to fiddle, there is a section in the manual with clear easy to follow instructions for adjusting the idling current and output level meters, as well as everything you need to know about the internal circuitry and components.

Pictures:

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3956.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.jpg

• Like 3

Great buying here.  I've owned one of these.  I know Akai doesn't get a lot of cred when compared to other Japanese brands but these amps are really punchy and sound great if you like the forward sound.  Rock and electronic are sensational on these units.

The new owner will really enjoy it!

D

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Prana69 said:

I know Akai doesn't get a lot of cred when compared to other Japanese brands

The PYE Pro Lab speakers they paired them with fell into the same category, together they were a great match 

• Like 1

Judging by the feedback and good wishes, I'm on a winner here!

Picking her up at the end of the week.

Currently running a Kenwood KA - 4006. 

The Akai will get me another 30w of thrust, and of course...Backlit VU Meters!!

It'll be recieving the odd bit of streaming/podcasts, but mostly my ever growing collection of AAA vinyl.

• Like 2