Bronal

Is there anything intrinsically wrong with bare-wire speaker connection?

I'm thinking of dispensing with spades or banana plugs for the speaker cable connections for my second system.  I'll use bare wires instead - just like the old days.

I'm wondering what the downside of this method of connection is (if any), and if there is one whether I'd hear it anyway.  After all, it is the most direct method of connection between cable and amp/speaker.

You might need to check the tightness of the binding post once or twice in the following 3 or 4 weeks (depending on wire) after initial connection.

Just that I have noticed this need with bare wire connections.

Thanks for the tip.  I assume from your reply that you use bare wires with no adverse effects?

I would use a wire that does not adversely oxidise with exposure to air.  Something tin or silver coated.

Edited by acg

The only adverse effect from bare wire ... is that it's exposed to the air and will get copper oxide on its surface.

Which means you either have to:

• clean the oxide off - every six months or so
  • or keep cutting off the bare ends and re-stripping.

Andy

32 minutes ago, Bronal said:

Thanks for the tip.  I assume from your reply that you use bare wires with no adverse effects?

I do.

17 minutes ago, vivianbl said:

I use bare wire at the amplifier end- because I can! emoji2.png

I use WBT banana plugs at the speaker end- because I can’t use bare wire there☹️

Same.

I use bare wire at the amplifier end- because I can!

I use WBT banana plugs at the speaker end- because I can’t use bare wire there☹️

26 minutes ago, Bronal said:

Have in the past and the adverse effects were as I mentioned, but I prefer to use ones like these, cheap and effective.

multi.jpg.c658138409ca47ff90cef1ecbf7fba4a.jpg

I should have mentioned that the cable is Duelund WE Replica, which I believe is tinned copper.  I have read that it sounds better when unterminated.

As I get older I am getting more sceptical about certain dogmas relating to hi fi.  OK, copper oxidises over time, but I understand it is still a better a conductor than anything except silver (which tarnishes, is that the same thing?).  I notice many spades and bananas are gold-plated over brass or sometimes copper.  What is the point of that, except that gold doesn't tarnish or oxidise.

Let's face it, I can always put connectors on down the line I feel the bare-wire setup isn't working.

@Bronalthe Duelund wire should be ace to use unterminated...just screw it in and forget about it, job done.