SoTM SMS 200 Ultra drop outs

Hi, hoping for some help with drop outs. I upgraded from the 200 to the Ultra, however the Ultra drops out completely after 20 minutes or less, requiring a re-boot.

Both have a static IP, and the latest version of Eunhasu. It was originally connected by Ethernet over powerline, which worked fine with the 200, but when the Ultra kept dropping out, I switched to an airport express. Same story with the 200 working but the Ultra dropping out. Using Roon with Tidal and Spotify. I increased the sync and buffer settings.

The Ultra came with the switch mod, which I removed to make sure that wasn't it.

Is anyone able to help please? The Ultra gets very hot - I wonder if it could be this?

Thanks

Michael

When you say dropping out, is it shutting down completely with the power light going off?

My Ultra runs pretty hot but it never stops working. I have the clocked switch as well.

If it's running really hot maybe it's over working.

I'd try reloading the OS first. If no joy contact SoTM.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, a.dent said:

When you say dropping out, is it shutting down completely with the power light going off?

My Ultra runs pretty hot but it never stops working. I have the clocked switch as well.

If it's running really hot maybe it's over working.

I'd try reloading the OS first. If no joy contact SoTM.

Thanks @a.dent . It just dissapears off the network and I can’t load the Eunhasu page. It doesn’t power off. 

16 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Is anyone able to help please? The Ultra gets very hot - I wonder if it could be this?

What power supply are you using?   Previously, was a Gieseler 1.5A power supply but now using a 4A PSU which makes the Ultra run cooler.

What version are you running?  Have you tried another version? 
http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en/eunhasu/burn_sdcard_image

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

What power supply are you using?   Previously, was a Gieseler 1.5A power supply but now using a 4A PSU which makes the Ultra run cooler.

What version are you running?  Have you tried another version? 
http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en/eunhasu/burn_sdcard_image

Thanks Snoopy.

I’ll try 4.22, which is the other one on the link. Taken an hour to download 1gb to burn to SD.

I’ve tried the latest, 4.56 by burning and by updating internally. 

With latest 4.56 burned to SD, it won’t even re-boot after setting a static IP address. Had to turn off then on and as soon as I select an audio zone in Roon, Eunhasu dissapears entirely and have to restart to get it back.

Power supply is an SoTM sPS-500 running at 12. 

The Ultra is seriously hot. 

1 minute ago, Mike13 said:

With latest 4.56 burned to SD, it won’t even re-boot after setting a static IP address. Had to turn off then on and as soon as I select an audio zone in Roon, Eunhasu dissapears entirely and have to restart to get it back.

Power supply is an SoTM sPS-500 running at 12. 

The Ultra is seriously hot. 

Try dynamic IP address.  Also, run MPD, does it go down?   Otherwise contact SOtM.

The Ultra does get hot and at one stage, I contemplated changing it to 9V (requires someone who knows how).  The Gieseler 12V 4A did the trick and it is more warm than hot.  In theory, the sPS-500 at 12V will output just over 4A, so not sure what is happening there to cause the heating?

I run mine at 9V. Give that a shot. It's worth a try anyway. My understanding is there are 12V and 9V versions available. Maybe you got a 9V even if you ordered a 12V.

I'm running the latest firmware and no problems at all now. It even turns off properly from Eunhasu now. There were some dropouts with an earlier one though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a.dent said:

I run mine at 9V. Give that a shot. It's worth a try anyway. My understanding is there are 12V and 9V versions available. Maybe you got a 9V even if you ordered a 12V.

I'm running the latest firmware and no problems at all now. It even turns off properly from Eunhasu now. There were some dropouts with an earlier one though.

Thanks. Good idea. If it won’t cause any damage I’ll give it a go. 

44 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Thanks. Good idea. If it won’t cause any damage I’ll give it a go. 

NO!  The Ultra is sensitive to voltage (unlike standard) and I was told it could cause damage.  And the recommendation is to get an authorised agent (Sublime in Perth) to change from the Ultra from 12V to 9V, if that is what you want.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

NO!  The Ultra is sensitive to voltage (unlike standard) and I was told it could cause damage.  And the recommendation is to get an authorised agent (Sublime in Perth) to change from the Ultra from 12V to 9V, if that is what you want.

Roger!

I remember it can be only a simple jumper change to change the input voltage (depending on the version of the sclk-ex board in the ultra).

I still have the link in my notes: www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/sclk-ex-extra-power-input/ , which seems not working any more (strangely www.sotm-audio.com is also blocked by opendns).