Sign in to follow this  
08Boss302

2ch Amps - curiosity to switch/upgrade

Hi all,

im thinking is like to try a different 2ch amp at home.

i currently have the Yamaha AS-1100 and am happy however curiosity has set in and an wondering if more power and a different signature sound will also satisfy me

some might recall my adventure getting this amp and the fact I have a Matantz AVR still set up at home and utilise a Beresford to switch between amps for HT and 2ch listening.

speakers are still KEF Q950

the Vincent SV237mk is still knocking at the door loudly and I see now the Rotel RA1592 is on sale at a lot of places for approx $2700. 

I know the Vincent is a tad warmer and more powerful but the RA1592!ivenot heard but see it to be more powerful- anyone have experience with this amp? 

being that I consider Marantz sound quite warm and smooth, the Yamaha sound is very neutral but still smooth (not as smooth), but not as “forgiving” as Marantz...

To spend the money on anew amp I’m keen to  look and listen to amps that have more power than the Yamaha as the KEFs like being driven to get the most out of them

any suggestions out there to add to the list Vincent and Rotel?

budget up to say $3500 but less if possible! 

Understanding I’ll get suggestions above and double that but springing to mind is Roksan, musical fidelity and I think Onkyo have one for about $3k also.

Whatever I look at must have x4 analog rca options, digital inputs and dac not important as I have an Oppo 205 which I’ll connect to it for that purpose but it’s a full package like the Rotel that is fine also.

thanks all

keen to read your suggestions and any experiences

For $3.5K I would recommend going used. You will get $10K sound at today's new price.

Thanks @t_mike

I could/would consider used but tbh it wasn’t my first preference 

Any brands/models you think should be on my radar on the classifieds?

@08Boss302 new ,look at an Exposure 3010S2D, 110wpc, $2795 +$595 for DAC to give you digital inputs, Andrew at Audiofix is a gentleman to deal with, your KEF's will sing

Cheers @wen

I’ll have a look into this. I see it comes in black too which is a preferred colour choice 

Do a little bargaining, do a little stretching...

Now we're talking.

The Audia Flight FL3S is another you should listen to.

Can be had for $2500 used.

Ive been surprised how good it is. 

If you intended to keep the yamaha, I'd suggest tubes. My KEFs sing with Prima Luna power amp, custom analogue audio pre amp. I have a transistor integrated (saving for, maybe, a Naim or Rega), but the SQ and listening experience with tubes is a mighty fine thing.

Thanks guys

I’ll look into the Accuphase and Audia Flight suggestions

if I make this change and prefer it I’d prob look to sell the Yamaha, the Vincent offers tube and solid state benefits, I did like this when auditioned it prior to buying the Yamaha and it never left my psyche.

hardest part is finding a retailer that sells KEF and Vincent or others.

i have just noticed Denon make the 1600ne also and it might be worth me looking st the marantz 8006 which I didn’t look at last time 

the last rotel i listened to sounded sounded a little thin but all reviews on the 1592 state the opposite. 

Anyone out there that listens to rock and metal have experience with the 1592?

i cant really afford to jump on the SV 700 https://www.selby.com.au/vincent-sv-700-integrated-amplifier-black-sv700b.html

But this one is of high interest still... https://www.selby.com.au/vincent-sv-237mk-integrated-amplifier.html

Selby had 30% off these about 4 months ago, i shouldve leaped but didnt, missed a bargain i guess

oddly the 237 seems to have more power than the 700 but i dont really understand the power thing in total so my guess the 700 has the trumps on it given its heftier price pont.

the Rotel seems such great value at the moment and has a tonne of power.  https://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=2788

As Denon and Marantz come from the same house (i believe) they should be similar house sounding.   The Denon seems to pack a few more features and power into its offering https://www.apollohifi.com.au/audio/stereo-amplifiers-receivers/denon-pma1600ne-stereo-integrated-amplifier-black.html 

I live in melbourne, i can get to Clef and listen to the rotel thru my speakers as its where i bought my speakers and the guys there are good to deal with.  I can also get to Selby but they dont stock Kef so its a bit of trial and guess.  Denon if i want to go further with  i'll find a retailer in melbourne with the PMA 1600ne i am sure

22 hours ago, wen said:

@08Boss302 new ,look at an Exposure 3010S2D, 110wpc, $2795 +$595 for DAC to give you digital inputs, Andrew at Audiofix is a gentleman to deal with, your KEF's will sing

The OP is looking for more power - so why would an Exposure (as you say, 110wpc - presumably into 8 ohms ... no specs for 4 ohms) give him an appreciable amount more power than his Yamaha AS1100 (specced at 160w into 4 ohms - so probably 100w into 8 ohms)?

Andy

37 minutes ago, andyr said:

specced at 160w into 4 ohms - so probably 100w into 8 ohms)?

actually spec'd at 90 WPC, just suggesting something spec'd higher @110WPC, also reading the OP's initial thread when looking for an intergrated amp , its one that was not mentioned, no different to suggesting an amp above his budget like t_mike suggesting the Accuphase in the classifieds, all food for thought

It's not just about watts, higher current amps at the same wattage can produce better sound also in some cases.

For amp suggestions see regular poster Cafads reviews of many items.

Also, consider used Yamaha AS 2100 and 3000 amps and Musical Fidelity. 

Separate preamp and power combos can be put together as well with potential better results. See previous forum posts on this.

Edited by Al.M

8 hours ago, t_mike said:

It's not just about watts, higher current amps at the same wattage can produce better sound also in some cases.

Agreed, t-mike.  Unfortunately, integrateds aren't typically built with "high current" in mind.