Rega Upgrade

Gmanster

HI.. Im new to the forum and have just upgraded my turntable from an Rega RP6 to the RP10. 

Couple of questions.

1. I'll run as stock for a while, but what mods, if any, have people done? 

2. Is the forum a good place to selling old gear (ie my RP6) as opposed to eBay etc?

Cheers

IMG_8900.jpg

Hi 

I have a Rega Planar 2 from the 70's, that I have done some mods to, platter, sub platter, tonearm and tonearm cable.

But if I owned a RP10 I don't think I would feel the need to upgrade it.

With regard to selling ,the market for a second hand Turntable, in Brisbane, is quite small so to get a reasonable price you really have to be prepared to post it.

No problem if you still have the original box but a pain if you don't.

In my opinion Ebay will reach more buyers than Stereo net. I am being sent offers to list on Ebay with no fees at weekends presently ,if you are getting the same, that would help make the decision.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Hi 

I have a Rega Planar 2 from the 70's, that I have done some mods to, platter, sub platter, tonearm and tonearm cable.

But if I owned a RP10 I don't think I would feel the need to upgrade it.

With regard to selling ,the market for a second hand Turntable, in Brisbane, is quite small so to get a reasonable price you really have to be prepared to post it.

No problem if you still have the original box but a pain if you don't.

In my opinion Ebay will reach more buyers than Stereo net. I am being sent offers to list on Ebay with no fees at weekends presently ,if you are getting the same, that would help make the decision.

Thanks for the advice.. No problem post as I have all the original packing. Cheers

• Like 1

I don't think there is any upgrades required for your RP10. You've now got the top of the line Rega turntable. 

If I were you, and had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be looking at what shortcomings do I have in my other gear that could help me get the most out of my RP10 (e.g: phono, rack, isolation, amp, speakers, record cleaning products, etc etc). 

Enjoy, it's a great TT :thumb:

• Like 3

Nice one indeed! 

The RB2000 tone arm is superb! Nothing ever required further than that! 

I just got the RP8, traded in my RP3, upgraded to the Benz micro glider SM cart, partnered with the Aria phonostage, that's about as good as it gets. This is all partnered with a full line up of CJ amplification and Martin Logan CLX's. Can't really upgrade any further than that, unless I was to spend millions... 

What phonostage are you using by the way, and preamp, power amp? Rest of the gear, and what speakers may I ask? 

The rp10 is SOTA and will fit in very nicely in an equally SOTA system. 

Have a good one, cheers RJ 

On 24/02/2019 at 1:52 PM, Big Dog RJ said:

Nice one indeed! 

The RB2000 tone arm is superb! Nothing ever required further than that! 

I just got the RP8, traded in my RP3, upgraded to the Benz micro glider SM cart, partnered with the Aria phonostage, that's about as good as it gets. This is all partnered with a full line up of CJ amplification and Martin Logan CLX's. Can't really upgrade any further than that, unless I was to spend millions... 

What phonostage are you using by the way, and preamp, power amp? Rest of the gear, and what speakers may I ask? 

The rp10 is SOTA and will fit in very nicely in an equally SOTA system. 

Have a good one, cheers RJ 

Hi RJ.. I was advised to go the Aria so picked up an ex display model. The rest of the system is REGA elicitR and some Sonus Faber Concerto speakers. I think they will be the next best thing to upgrade. I'm a little restricted with placement and space so would most likely need to stay with a bookshelf.  Any thoughts? Cheers G

• Like 2

On 23/02/2019 at 2:18 PM, ppaul said:

I bet it sounds great, I personally don’t think you’d need anything for an RP10 except maybe The Aphelion cart, happy listening 

I think speakers perhaps may be next. Bit of work to do first...Cheers G

1 hour ago, Gmanster said:

Hi RJ.. I was advised to go the Aria so picked up an ex display model. The rest of the system is REGA elicitR and some Sonus Faber Concerto speakers. I think they will be the next best thing to upgrade. I'm a little restricted with placement and space so would most likely need to stay with a bookshelf.  Any thoughts? Cheers G

Hey mate, that sounds very musical indeed! 

In terms of upgrading, I always look at it from a holistic approach not just one item... For example, if I was to upgrade the amplifiers, I would think if they would be too good or high in value, in which case I would need to upgrade speakers, cables, interconnects and the vicious cycle begins... Again! Dealers are licking their chops... ?

In my approach to upgrades, I would start at the front end, which is the source, preamps and so on. If you can benchmark these sonic attributes against something you're after, then when you actually do listen to something so called "better" it should give you at least a 30-40% improvement in overall quality of sound. If the improvement is bigger margin, let's say around 50-60% improvement, then go for it!  But you have to keep in mind your budget. 

So now, as I can see, your main source & phonostage are sorted. Cables & interconnects should be as neutral as possible, not adding too much coloration to the sound. 

The amp and speakers need to be benchmarked against something of higher value, and then audition what these other products can provide. 

I know 40-50% or over 50% is a huge justification margin but that's my benchmark point, and many so called high-End systems fall short...

Believe me, when I hear it, regardless of price, I can tell if somthing has been designed well or whether it's just another product to empty the wallet... 

Take your time and assess carefully, if you don't hear a significant difference, then your system has achieved it's full potential and there's nothing further to improve. Just sit back, pour that scotch, light a cigar and enjoy the music! 

Cheers, RJ 

Edited by Big Dog RJ
  • Like 2

Guest Music monster

Well done on the rp10 an excellent tt that’s rated class a in stereophile,and surberb value for money I must say. Gary the music monster ?