DAC vs Amp . . . which provides biggest bang for buck when upgrading

Hey all,
Wondering what people’s experience has been over the years of upgrades.

Which has provided the biggest positive impact in your setup . . . DAC upgrades or Amplifier upgrades? . . . and which has provided the biggest bang for buck when upgrading?

Musical Fidelity M6Si, you would be very happy!

Have been thinking about doing the “up the line” upgrade . . . Just wondering if that would just give more of the same sound, as don’t really need a lot more power.

Having said that, if an M6Si popped up in the classifieds, I’d be all over it.

1 minute ago, barn door said:

Seems to be the consensus so far.
Next upgrade is looking like being an amp. It just won’t be anytime soon unfortunately.

Note that DACs have improved a lot in the last decade, and there is benefit to upgrading a DAC at the same time, but there is no need to spend thousands on a DAC to get better sound. There are some bargains at or below $500 (specifically from Topping.)

Edited by Ittaku

Note that DACs have improved a lot in the last decade, and there is benefit to upgrading a DAC at the same time, but there is no need to spend thousands on a DAC to get better sound. There are some bargains at or below $500 (specifically from Topping.)

I’ve recently picked up an Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, and really happy with it. It’s will definitely do the job with the current set up.

Best part about the M1 is the fact that it shows the input rate . . . It’s a chalk and cheese difference between 44.1kHz and 96kHz.

Usually you'd think the 'bang for your buck' factor would be relative to what you're upgrading from. When it came to DACS I went from a Modi Multibit to Audio GD Ref 5 to Audio GD Ref 7 to a Holo Spring DAC. The changes were noticeable but gradual, a little bit of more in every area. When I got the Lenenhans, my old hybrid integrated was struggling to properly drive them (60W into 8 Ohms), I had to turn up the volume for them to sound half decent, and even then it was a little harsh. My integrated could be used as a pre-amp, it used 2 ECC88 tubes I'f I'm not mistaken. And I picked up a DIY Holton power amp (150W into 8 Ohms) for very cheap and wow, the difference was night and day. Literally night and day.

So moral of the story is I'd go with amp as well.

• Like 4

It’s surprises me that the consensus on this thread is that playing around with different amps will make a bigger difference than play around with DACs.   Yet some will spend absolutely mega dollars on DACs,  and some changes there DACs more than they change there underwear without giving it much thought, but not so with amplifier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, barn door said:

Have been thinking about doing the “up the line” upgrade . . . Just wondering if that would just give more of the same sound, as don’t really need a lot more power.

Having said that, if an M6Si popped up in the classifieds, I’d be all over it.

Yes I had very similar set up and didn't think I needed more volume but more power is obvious improvement. It is hard to get this info at Harbeth com

• Like 1

From my experience getting an amp that will properly drive your loudspeakers will make a bigger difference than a dac change. By properly drive I mean an amp that is cruising along  at most volume levels. Good current drive from the amp is more important than ultimate wattage with most speakers.

Once the amp side of things is sorted it is easier to compare dacs.

• Like 2