Stereo amp to drive Q Acoustic 3050

23 hours ago, chrisRS said:

Would this fit the bill? My only concern is the lack of a digital input. Silly question, but could I use the WXA-50 as a preamp for TV and streaming and send both digital signals through to the Rega?

The system has to be able to handle optical in from the TV as well as digital signal from the streamer. No need for a turntable, tuner, or CD input.

WXA-50 has RCA AUX out. This does mean it could be used as a preamp. The manual is slim on details. It's not clear if that output is controlled by the volume settings on the WXA-50 or if it's constant level. Someone with WXA-50 may know. WXC-50 has a switch that changes the volume control.

So your choice may be to buy an integrated amp with optical in and digital in from streamer (is that also optical or coax) OR use the WXA-50 and add a power amp or integrated amp without digital inputs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/08/2020 at 10:24 AM, chrisRS said:

Hi everyone, similarly to @rk76 I too have a pair of Q Acoustics 3050s. However unlike rk76 they're presently being powered by a Yamaha WXA-50.

For around $1k this system made a huge difference to the ears of a hifi rookie like mel. Obviously the speakers are capable of a lot more if paired with a half-decent amp though.

At this stage I intend to keep the WXA-50 as a streamer and hook it up to a Vincent SV-500 or something similar. My questions are as follows:

- Would it be better to sell the WXA-50 and buy something like a Bluesound Powernode 2i rather than go for the Vincent and WXA-50 combo?

- If I go for the Vincent, is a preamp and DAC necessary? Source will be MusicCast over wifi.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments above, looking forward to taking my listening experience to the next level.

The Vincent SV-500 is an integrated. It has a built in Dac.