Struggling with projector positioning

Hi all. Apologies for the frequent newbie questions but I am struggling to get my head around my first projector. I am trying to settle on positioning the screen and projector for the best picture quality. I can place the projector perpendicular to the screen in the horizontal. However, while there is a little wiggle room, it is likely that the projector will be above the top of the screen by up to 50cm, or down to 22cm if I raise the screen above ideal height. I cannot lower the projector as I am 205cm and it will be a pain to negotiate to get to my seat. I see that it is recommended that keystone be avoided as it compresses and can add artifacts. The x7900 I have has lens shift and I have the Peerless  PRG-UV mount recommended by a number of users here. Do I have enough adjustment in these to get the picture square without relying on keystone?

Thanks all.

Allan

9 minutes ago, bigkid said:

Hi all. Apologies for the frequent newbie questions but I am struggling to get my head around my first projector. I am trying to settle on positioning the screen and projector for the best picture quality. I can place the projector perpendicular to the screen in the horizontal. However, while there is a little wiggle room, it is likely that the projector will be above the top of the screen by up to 50cm, or down to 22cm if I raise the screen above ideal height. I cannot lower the projector as I am 205cm and it will be a pain to negotiate to get to my seat. I see that it is recommended that keystone be avoided as it compresses and can add artifacts. The x7900 I have has lens shift and I have the Peerless  PRG-UV mount recommended by a number of users here. Do I have enough adjustment in these to get the picture square without relying on keystone?

Thanks all.

Allan

lens calculator here allan :) can play around 

https://eu.jvc.com/specials/2017/d-s/

Thanks Al. Looks like if I raise the 96in screen up so that the bottom of it is 1m above the floor (80cm would have been ideal - but not too fussy), there is enough adjustment in the lens shift to accommodate the x7900 at 22cm from the ceiling to the centre of the lens. I can squeeze another 2.5cm out of the mount by adjusting the arm's 'feet' so that I don't have to max out the lens shift and I'll still have further wiggle room in the mount's roll and pitch adjusters for fine tuning. Assuming I am reading the following correctly ? 

I am not sure what the significance of a Possible Setting Area Horizontal of 0 might be???

Cheers,

Allan

Capture.JPG

Edited by bigkid

8 hours ago, bigkid said:

I am not sure what the significance of a Possible Setting Area Horizontal of 0 might be???

Cheers,

Allan

As you max out the vertical lens shift, you lose horizontal lens shift (and vice versa).

• Like 1

hmm this is your first projector? akin to getting a top range bmw as a first car haha

just some questions more related to "visual performance".

a 96" screen would be classed as quite small, is there a reason for this size?

how far are you seated from the screen?

the height of the screen at 1m could be excessive, even 800mm from my use is too high

Hi hopefullguy. Haha! I got a good deal on the x7900 second hand, and with only 85hrs on the clock! Otherwise I probably would have gone for the Epson 9400 when it comes out. The guys here convinced me to go with the JVC. ? 

Yes, it is a small screen. Part of that never ending compromise that is a marriage. ? It is a multipurpose room and my wife wasn't going to have anything bigger. The screen also had to fit between the main speakers and there is no room to widen the space bewteen them.  We are seated about 3.5m from the screen in Stressless chairs - which encourage a bit of reclining and line of sight appears to comfortably fall around 1.6m up the wall. Irrespective, I take your point 1m is too high. I just don't see any option.

The room is here: