Constant voltage transformers

Hello everyone,

I’ve been monitoring the power coming in to my house for a while and it is consistently around 249-253V. My understanding is that this is bad for almost any equipment (not only HiFi) as it will stress the power transformers and other components resulting in reduced life.

i believe Constant Voltage Transformers are available that will allow me to ensure the voltage remains at around 230V which is internationally recommended for which Australia is a signatory to the various standards but has never implemented. Does anyone know where one can be purchased in Australia? I’m looking for one capable of at least 3kVA preferably even higher. My power amps are capable of 350 W each into 8 ohms. 

Thanks.

Stephen

Go to Tortech see 240v to 220v  conversion transformers ( they actually reduce the incoming voltage by 10 to 12 % ). They might be able to do something special order but I use the 10 amp 2400 v version these were used on a Sherbourn 7/2100 amplifier that 300 watts time 7 without any sag constriction reduction in performance or otherwise. 

A Thor PS 10 will handle your hifi and tv duties, can be turned down to 230v if preferred, does a good job of blackout reconnection protection and can be had used for about $800. I have the same power supply issues and it doesn't bother the fridge, washing machine, electric blanket, etc., so the PS 10 works fine for me. Days on end at 255v is not uncommon in my neighborhood. 

Plenty of posts here about the Thor PS10 (the search function is your friend) also Thor's web site is very good. They are based in Perth. Adverse effects on sound quality are known for their power board, so if you do get a PS10 buy an adaptor instead, that will allow you to use a standard power board to plug all your components into. 

16 hours ago, swcng2001 said:

I’ve been monitoring the power coming in to my house for a while and it is consistently around 249-253V. My understanding is that this is bad for almost any equipment (not only HiFi) as it will stress the power transformers and other components resulting in reduced life.

Power transformers are resilient components. Their "life" will generally be much greater than the useful life of the equipment they power.  It is arguable that electrolytic capacitors following a power transformer might be stressed, but given that manufacturers are aware their products may be used at somewhat higher than the nominal mains voltage specified on the nameplate, the capacitors specified will probably have a working voltage rating significantly  higher than the minimum required to do the job.

People these days often change their electrical goods, particularly audiophile equipment, for reasons of obsolence, not because they "burn out".

In short, you may need to take anecdotal reports about reduced life with a pinch of salt. There is a danger of spending more money on risk mitigation than the actual risk warrants!

16 hours ago, swcng2001 said:

i believe Constant Voltage Transformers are available that will allow me to ensure the voltage remains at around 230V which is internationally recommended for which Australia is a signatory to the various standards but has never implemented

It is actually an exaggeration to say that a 230V standard has "never been implemented" in Australia. It depends on the part of Australia in which you live.  And in any particular locality, the actual voltage can be adjusted to some extent by the local authority if it is found to be too low, or too high. What is considered too low or too high will depend on published guidelines for electricity in the region, and the policy and practice of the electricity provider. There is a general trend towards implementing the 230V standard throughout Australia. 

If you are consistently experiencing higher voltages than the tolerance level for a nominal 230 Volt supply in your region, you should have a word with your electricity provider. They may be able to arrange for taps on local distribution transformers to be adjusted. If this matter is a real concern to you, @swcng2001, as it appears to be, I would strongly encourage you to establish a dialogue with your electricity provider, to see whether something can be done.

I note that the 230 Volt standard provides for a range of permissable or "preferred"  voltages, just as the 240V standard provided for a range of voltages.

I reside in Queensland. The following appears on a state government webpage,  https://www.dnrme.qld.gov.au/energy/initiatives/statutory-voltage-limits :-

New voltage limits

Voltage limits in Queensland will change from 240 volts +/-6% to 230 volts +10/-6%, which is the range set out in Australian Standard (AS) 60038 (Standard voltages). The standard can be purchased from SAI Global.

Timeline for change

This change will occur over 1 year. Network distributors Energex and Ergon Energy must comply fully with the new voltage limits from 27 October 2018.

By 1 July 2020, our electricity networks will operate within a ‘preferred operating range’ of 230 volts +6/-2%. This range is set out in AS 61000.3.100 (Steady state voltage limits in public electricity systems). The preferred range aims to optimise the network to ensure electrical appliances operate more safely and efficiently.

Edited by MLXXX

Try Wallcann, link below.
https://www.wallcann.com.au/converters/

I'm sure there was a 10% reduction transformer that was made by someone, basically taking 240 to about 220V but I can't find it or remember who made it.  Sounds like what you are looking for though.

Might have been Perth-based coherent technology? I have one, works well with source and preamps etc but i found it made large power amps sound soggy and valve power amps with tube rectifier weren’t happy either. Very well made, zero hum. Peach/tortech could also make to your specs.

Thanks MLXXX for the input.

I have no desire to start a war or any heated discussion on the politics behind the implementation or non implementation of the 230V standard.

I am simply a bystander with some equipment problems and merely saying that I have observed very high voltages at home and (I came across the following article that might make decent bedtime reading for anyone interested - https://www.ecdonline.com.au/content/business-and-management/article/is-it-time-to-genuinely-adopt-23-v-as-our-distribution-voltage--25053451#axzz5fx6f8teT) equipment early failure caused by high voltages may be a real issue in Australia and I do not want to be counted as one of the casualties.

Perhaps in Queensland the power grid has been modified but certainly here in Melbourne voltages are all over the dial. I have a friend who lives a few suburbs away and his incoming is around 235 - 242V whereas mine often reaches 253V. I understand there is no way that the voltage coming in can stay precisely at 240V but I am looking for a way to keep it within reasonable limits and at a reasonable cost.

I was in fact advised by a reputable equipment importer in Melbourne to check that all my equipment has been configured for the higher than normal voltages seen here as much of my equipment was purchased overseas whilst working outside Australia. Apparently, they have customers who have experienced early equipment failure possibly due to this problem.

In order to protect my investment in hifi equipment I am quiet prepared to spend a little money to ensure decent regulation of the supply coming in. Right now I would much prefer to solve the problem myself rather than deal with electricity authorities who have enough problems on their hands.

Hello Henning,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check Wallcann.com.au out. However, I would avoid  the other products for now as a few people I’ve come across have tried these and experienced the same problem you described and are not very happy with their effect on sound.

Thanks everyone.

Hello Bruce,

Unfortunately, no I don’t have the luxury of a 15A power point. I haven’t priced it but I’m sure with electrician charges the way they are it will be very costly.

@Cafad,

thanks for for the link to wallcann.com. I’m just about to check them out.

@Deano23,

Tortech is another possibility. Thanks.

@mrbugeyes, @t_mike,

i don’t want to only step down. I want something to regulate the incoming to about +/-1%. A variac is simply a variable transformer. It has no regulation capabilities. I agree with Andy & @F18 in this regard.

@t_mike, @ThirdDrawerDown,

the Thor PS 10 is a little underrated for my use whereas the PS 20 looks like it’s in the right territory. Thanks.

A few people I’ve come across are wary about the use of power conditioners in their systems. The main complaint is how they tend to squeeze the daylight out of bass and all the wonderfull harmonies get surpressed. 

I dont have have personal experience with these devices having placed my trust in the juice coming out of the wall socket. It looks like I really have to do something about my system before it gets fried because voltage distribution standards are all over the place in Oz.

Thanks again everyone for your valuable input.

Stephen

The Thor PS10 is an automated variac that will regulate voltage against over and under voltage. The only conditioning I can see it does is through the filtered power board (I may be wrong here). The power board can be bypassed by getting a standard power board and fitting a kettle cord plug end on it. If the PS10 is light on for power (2400 watts), get 2, you will still have a lot of coin left over compared to the price of some conditioner/regenerator units.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 18/02/2019 at 6:36 PM, swcng2001 said:

Hello everyone,

i believe Constant Voltage Transformers are available that will allow me to ensure the voltage remains at around 230V which is internationally recommended for which Australia is a signatory to the various standards but has never implemented. Does anyone know where one can be purchased in Australia? I’m looking for one capable of at least 3kVA preferably even higher. My power amps are capable of 350 W each into 8 ohms. 

Thanks.

Stephen

I have a few issues with voltage fluctuations at my place. Call Tortech and tell them what your issue is and see what suggestions they come up with.

After chatting with them they are building me a 2000(ish)watt step down transformer to give me a constant(ish) 235 volts.

Think you are wanting a buck(-boost) transformer.

253Vac is within 6% tolerance so it should be ok just.
The transformer will be ok. The downstream electronics
"should" be ok by design, however sometimes... eg, Yamaha
CA-800 uses 50V main caps with 51-52Vdc voltage rails.

Thor PS10 looks very nice, but only 10A, 2400KVA

Regarding step down transformers, need to proceed carefully.
Do you really need 3kVA or 2kVA? The step down transformer
will give you the wanted 230VAC(?) at rated power, ie when
delivering 3kVA, at lower loads say 300VA, quiet passage in
music, the output voltage will be typically 5% higher.

Also on step downs, understand the difference between an
autotransformer and an isolated transformer and what could
happen if the auto transformer fails (= mains voltage presented
to your amp). Not an issue in this case, moreso for 240V->120Vac