Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 overhead speaker location

1 hour ago, agrif78 said:

Thanks for the fast reply, I will have look into my options. The manual definitely says a no go in 5.1.4 but will see if I can do as you say.

With the jumper strips, I had the speakers bi amped before I got the ceiling speakers and don't know where the jumper strips have gone.

If I can't bi amp in 5.1.4, is it essential/recommended to pick up some new jumper strips and install back to the fronts?

You'll need some way to connect in lieu of the jumper strips - a couple of short pieces of speaker cable will be fine. Krix may be able to supply some replacement jumper strips if you want a factory look.

20 hours ago, Krix Loudspeakers said:

We can send some out for a small fee if you need them @agrif78, just let me know. You could also strip the speaker cable back far enough so that it passes through both terminals - achieves the same thing :)

Thanks @Quark and @Krix Loudspeakers

Krix - what is the price for 2 lots of jumper strips for my fronts, shipped to Sydney?

Cheers

• Like 1

@Quark I have dug out my 10 year old Pioneer sc-lx71 7.1 receiver and am going to try using it to connect to the lx901 via rca as a power amp for my fronts and centre. 

My question is - do you think I can bi amp my fronts using the lx71 to power them even though the lx901 receiver has biamp option greyed out in menu in my 5.1.4 config?

I have tested running the centre from the lx71 (amp) and the biamp option in lx901 (receiver) is definitely still greyed out even when selecting preamp option in lx901 for all speakers. 

The 5.1.4 option in lx901 just doesn't allow the biamp option to be selectable to tell the receiver that the fronts are biamped.

Will that matter if the lx901 doesn't recognize the fronts are biamped if I biamp the connections on the lx71 (amp)?

I need to go and buy some new rca cables to make this project happen and don't want to buy 2/3 extra rca cables if bi amping fronts/centre is just not possible for my 5.1.4 config.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, agrif78 said:

@Quark I have dug out my 10 year old Pioneer sc-lx71 7.1 receiver and am going to try using it to connect to the lx901 via rca as a power amp for my fronts and centre. 

My question is - do you think I can bi amp my fronts using the lx71 to power them even though the lx901 receiver has biamp option greyed out in menu in my 5.1.4 config?

I have tested running the centre from the lx71 (amp) and the biamp option in lx901 (receiver) is definitely still greyed out even when selecting preamp option in lx901 for all speakers. 

The 5.1.4 option in lx901 just doesn't allow the biamp option to be selectable to tell the receiver that the fronts are biamped.

Will that matter if the lx901 doesn't recognize the fronts are biamped if I biamp the connections on the lx71 (amp)?

I need to go and buy some new rca cables to make this project happen and don't want to buy 2/3 extra rca cables if bi amping fronts/centre is just not possible for my 5.1.4 config.

Thanks in advance.

I'd expect that if you use the front pre-outs on the LX901 you should be OK, but not sure how you'll go adjusting the volume on both using the remote(s). It may be that the one remote will operate volume on both, which may not be ideal. Might need to cover the IR receiver on the LX71 and operate it manually.

• Thanks 1

Guest niterida

Yes I had this problem - I had a MArantz receiver with an old Yamaha receiver powering the 4 Atmos speakers. When I replaced the Marantz with a Yamaha I thought my kids had been mucking around with the volume on my old Yamaha but then realised it was because of the new Yamaha remote !!

I would also recommend trying the 2nd receiver for the Atmos speakers and just let the main reciever power the beds - should be more than enough power to the fronts and you can easily adjust the volume on the Atmos speakers separately to suit the movie or listener preference.

@Quark @niterida Thanks for the feedback to both of you.

I don't have the required RCA cables to set this up today, bit I'll look at acquiring the cables and give both lx71 "amp" options a test (running fronts + centre , OR Atmos speakers)

Alternatively, I might look at picking up a 4-5 channel dedicated power amp but thought dusting off the old Pioneer lx71 was worth trying first!

Cheers 

[mention=104942]Quark[/mention] I have dug out my 10 year old Pioneer sc-lx71 7.1 receiver and am going to try using it to connect to the lx901 via rca as a power amp for my fronts and centre. 

Thanks in advance.
Hey@agrif78 if you're using the old receiver to biamp I don't see an issue with setting the LX901 to regular 5.1.4. Bi-amping should be signal agnostic (I.e. the power amp doesn't care where the signal comes from, it will take one input signal and it will just send identical signals to both amps). As long as you're sending the front L/R RCA pre-out from the LX901 to the LX71 front L/R RCA inputs then setting the LX71 to biamp the front L/R signal via the front (make sure these go to the LF binding posts) and surround back (these go to the HF binding posts) you should be biamping the unamplified front L/R signal from the LX901. I think the LX71 also takes a 12v trigger input as well so you can have the LX901 turn on the LX71. Volume control should be on the LX901.

My recommendation though would be to use the LX71 to power amp the overheads (keeps the sound signature/levels consistent) and frees up overall power for the LX901 to internally amplify the bed channels as was suggested earlier. The internal circuitry will be different and you want the higher quality pre-amp/power-amp sections for the bed channels as that is where most of the detail will be for movies. You might lose the ability to biamp but the increase in quality will be worth using the newer LX901 to process the bed channels over an older receiver's amplifier section. Otherwise a dedicated power amp might be the route you want to look at if you feel you are lacking power in the fronts.

@vuman619 thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, the lx901 only has these preamp options - "Front, Front + Centre or All" so unfortunately there is no option in the lx901 menu to just use the  old receiver lx71 to power the 4 overheads.

I have tried to bi amp the Fronts tonight using the rear surround speaker jacks on the lx71.

OMG, the Fronts are no so powerful on -20db, more so than non-biamped Fronts at -10db. 

Will need to re-run auto calibration macc tonight and see if I can achieve the right channel balance.

Heading in the right direction!

Edited by agrif78

[mention=262770]vuman619[/mention] thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, the lx901 only has these preamp options - "Front, Front + Centre or All" so unfortunately there is no option in the lx901 menu to just use the  old receiver lx71 to power the 4 overheads.

I have tried to bi amp the Fronts tonight using the rear surround speaker jacks on the lx71.

OMG, the Fronts are no so powerful on -20db, more so than non-biamped Fronts at -10db. 

Will need to re-run auto calibration macc tonight and see if I can achieve the right channel balance.

Heading in the right direction!
Ah I see, all good :) I don't have pre-amp settings on my Marantz, I just plug in the RCAs calibrate as normal and the signal goes via that rather than the receiver's binding posts.

@vuman619 @Quark How do I actually set up 12v trigger relay between the lx901 receiver and lx701 amp? I think I have the right 3.5mm cable.

Step by step guidance with where to plug the cable would be great. 

My lx901 remote currently turns the lx71 on/off. 

Will the 12v trigger stop the lx71 from changing input/volume when I change it on the lx901? (As I using lx71 as a pre amp I just need it to turn on/off only)

That is really the outcome I'm looking for.

Cheers

Edited by agrif78

You'll need to plug the cable into the 12V out trigger socket on the LX901 and the other end to the LX71's 12V input. The manual doesn't mention any need to enable these in the menus - you'll have to suck it and see. Note some 12V triggers will only work with a 3.5mm mono cable (not stereo) - the manual gives no guidance.

Edit: The 12V trigger probably won't override the remote.

Edited by Quark

@Quark So, the 12V trigger just turns on the amp at same time as receiver? 

Lx901 receiver has 12V output but lx71 doesn't seem to have 12V input, only 2 outputs too.

It has IR IN and CONTROL IN. Should I plug through 12V input into one of these?

Edited by agrif78

29 minutes ago, agrif78 said:

@Quark So, the 12V trigger just turns on the amp at same time as receiver? 

Lx901 receiver has 12V output but lx71 doesn't seem to have 12V input, only 2 outputs too.

It has IR IN and CONTROL IN. Should I plug through 12V input into one of these?

Doesn't look like either of those will work unfortunately. Is there an option to switch the remote on one to an alternative setting (some have and A and B mode to avoid conflicts)?

I will have to check if there is an option to put either remote onto a different setting.

I have actually tried your initial suggestion of covering up the IR sensor on the amp - have used some black duct tape. Problem solved!

Now I just have to manually turn amp on/off. I can live with that ... for now.

Thanks heaps quark! Have a good night.

• Like 1