agrif78

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 overhead speaker location

Hi all

I am installing 4 x Krix Atmospherix AS in-ceiling speakers tomorrow 

These are the speakers: https://bit.ly/2S8HqVx 

Trying to pinpoint the best ceiling location for each based on my room dimensions.

Is it best to follow the Colby pic below and line up the overhead speakers with the L & R front speakers?

Room depth from screen to rear wall is 5.56M. Room height I would guess 2.3/2.5m.

Based on my room size and with reference to the below Dolby 5.1.4 installation picture as a guide, what distance is recommended for installation of the L & R (mid & rear) in-ceiling speakers?

Don't want to get this wrong!

Thanks in advance.

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4.JPG

Sponsor

Hi @agrif78,

Yes, line them up with left and right fronts. The overhead (side view) placement is more specific to your main seating position.

If you have a look on page 20 here: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf , you'll see in the bottom right corner that they should be between 30-55 degrees from front and 125-150 degrees at the rear.

If you can let me know your ceiling height and how far you sit from the front wall, I can work out the rough measurements for you.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Krix Loudspeakers

In the real world you'll probably find you need to make some adjustment in positioning to avoid cutting roof trusses, power cables etc. Take your time to suss things out in your roof space and work out if you'll need to make some compromises with positioning - I certainly did in my 7.2.4 installation.

Good to see you're using ceiling speakers with backboxes - I used the Atmospherix AS as well and have been happy with them. If you're planning to spray the grilles black, the Krix badge will lift off with a thumbnail if you use a bit of care.

@Krix Loudspeakers Thanks Michael, that would be amazing. 

I will send the ceiling height and how far I sit from the front wall as soon as I get home from work around 6PM. 

My installer will be at my place at 7AM tomorrow so hope that you offer after hours assistance :)

@Quark You are right - some compromise may be required. 

Thanks also for the tips about spraying the grills because I might just do that.

Sponsor
Just now, agrif78 said:

@Krix Loudspeakers Thanks Michael, that would be amazing. 

I will send the ceiling height and how far I sit from the front wall as soon as I get home from work around 6PM. 

My installer will be at my place at 7AM tomorrow so hope that you offer after hours assistance :)

That should be ok :) . Like Quark has mentioned, you may run into trusses or other obstacles, so I'll just work out the range and you can get within that as much as possible. Dolby recommend using the same angle at the front as the back, so if you bring the front speakers closer to the couch then it's suggested you also bring the rear speakers closer by the same distance.

I'll keep an eye out for the email.
Cheers,
Michael

@Krix Loudspeakers 

Hi Michael

Sorry for late reply.

Ceiling height is 2.42M.

Seating from screen wall is 3.75M at present but may move seating back to maybe 4M when PJ is mounted tomorrow.

And ... How much width should there be between the surround speakers and the rear overhead speakers? My rear surround right, being in line with front right will be pretty close to rear overhead, so should I consider moving screen and front right to the left a bit to create a bit more separation for rear surround right and rear overhead?

Cheers

Edited by agrif78

Sponsor

Hi @agrif78,

No worries. If you are looking to sit at 3.75m  then the distances for the angles look like:

45 degrees = 2330mm from front wall to front overheads, 5170mm from front wall to rear overheads (390mm to back wall)
50 degrees = 2560mm from front wall to front overheads, 4940mm from front wall to rear overheads (620mm to back wall)

55 degrees = 2755mm from front wall to front overheads, 4745mm from front wall to rear overheads (815mm to back wall)

If you move your main listening position 250mm back then add 250mm to each of those measurements (-250mm for distance to rear wall). Keep in mind that if you go for 45 degrees and move back 250mm to 4m, that means you will only have 140mm from rear overheads to the rear wall, which won't be enough as this is about the radius of the speaker. In that case, I'd be aiming more towards the 55 degree measurements. Personally, I like the overheads being closer to me anyway.

There's not a specific measurement that the speakers should be separated by, it's more recommendations on speaker heights and angles. Your rear surrounds should technically be no more than about 1.3m high (if your fronts are about 1m tall). If you were to go with the 55 degree options, then this would place the rear overhead and rear surround at about 1400mm apart and provide adequate separation.

I'm not sure I'm following 100% with moving the screen and front right speaker to the left to assist with rear surround and rear right overhead separation... probably not a compromise I'd be willing to make.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Michael

Sponsor
55 minutes ago, agrif78 said:

@Krix Loudspeakers 

Hi Michael

Sorry for late reply.

Ceiling height is 2.42M.

Seating from screen wall is 3.75M at present but may move seating back to maybe 4M when PJ is mounted tomorrow.

And ... How much width should there be between the surround speakers and the rear overhead speakers? My rear surround right, being in line with front right will be pretty close to rear overhead, so should I consider moving screen and front right to the left a bit to create a bit more separation for rear surround right and rear overhead?

Cheers

Sorry I've just re-read this keeping in mind that we are talking about a 5.1.4 setup. In a 5.1.4 setup there are no rear surrounds, only side surrounds. These should be placed at around 110-120 as per the diagram.