Recommend a low noise floor MC phono stage ~<$2000

Guest jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77

After comments about experiences with phono stages for MC that provide a silent or as silent as can be background. 

Thinking stuff that can be had for around $2000 or less second hand. Maybe slightly more new. 

Maybe a Sutherland? Something like that.

Not keen on tubes or batteries or home made. 

Anyone that can input on MF? 

All ideas welcome.. 

I must say @evil c has an Aleph Ono and by god it’s dead silent.. but alas out of my range if I could find one. 

I've seen the RCM Sensor Prelude phono sell on here second hand for under $2K (not the Sensor 2, which is newer).

I own one and can highly recommend it. It's an excellent MM/MC phono stage with a lot of flexibility, great sound and super quiet.

Regards, David.

• Like 2

Guest jakeyb77
6 minutes ago, davm said:

I've seen the RCM Sensor Prelude phono sell on here second hand for under $2K (not the Sensor 2, which is newer).

I own one and can highly recommend it. It's an excellent MM/MC phono stage with a lot of flexibility, great sound and super quiet.

Regards, David.

Are you using it for MC carts? 

@jakeyb77 If you want to try out a Trilogy 907 Phono Stage, I could be willing to freight it out to you. We could work out freight details. Its a little unknown here in Aussie but very impressive.

I thought this to be a step up from the RCM Sensor Prelude I had before, but had them at different times, so take that in consideration.

Has been my best phono stage to date.

17 minutes ago, Musician said:

Who’s that American Designer, remember now :)

Tom Evans Phonostages are very popular, definitely worth a try.

Tom Evans is a UK company and their phono stages are in plastic boxes. Fine as long as you can keep it well, well, well away from a power source of any kind but bloody awful if you are close to anything 240 volt as it will hummmmmmmmm. Along with NVA, another UK plastic bodied piece of kit they are the last companies i would recommend for a low noise floor in a phono stage.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
32 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

@jakeyb77 If you want to try out a Trilogy 907 Phono Stage, I could be willing to freight it out to you. We could work out freight details. Its a little unknown here in Aussie but very impressive.

I thought this to be a step up from the RCM Sensor Prelude I had before, but had them at different times, so take that in consideration.

Hey Rocky that’s mighty generous and I appreciate it. Let’s see what comes up and my research and I may take you up on the opportunity.  I’m not in the position to buy today so don’t want to mess you around either. 

1 hour ago, davm said:

Regards, David.

Second that.  Had the Sensor1 and though it was pretty damn good for the coin.  Now upgraded to the Sensor 2 and definately a step up.  Better bass, quieter, and improved loading options.

Guest jakeyb77
31 minutes ago, metal beat said:

What r u looking for in 2k?

Drive and dynamics or smoothness?  Generally hard to do both for new 2k

First thing would be the quiet noise floor which may be solved with more gain options. 

I found the Jasmine was pretty quiet. Inky blacks. 

The on board MC in the ME is freaking loud when no music is playing. You turn the pre to phono and there is that audible noise like high gain. It’s not noticeable when the music starts but I know it’s there. 

Of course dynamics and separation are also considerations. 

I guess I’m looking for a good all-rounder around that price. I’m not bothered if second hand. 

I use AT carts. The AT- F7 and the AT-PTG33. So not high end. 

My main concern is to solve the gain issue. 

Maybe @PonyTail or @Zaphod Beeblebrox could advise me if there is a fix? 

Heresy, perhaps, but I am running my ME15 with MC phono through a  MF Nu-Vista integrated amp, using the tape out for a line level signal to the amp, so it is essentially just a phono amp. Doing this there is soft audible hiss with the ear next to the speaker out to about 20cm, and then it is totally inaudible. That seems pretty quiet to me. I haven’t run it direct for some time, but I don’t recal it being any different. I wonder if there is an issue with yours?

edit: I just checked the other channels and the very soft hiss from the tweeter is there and no different, therefore there is no audible sound from the phono! Definitely check in with the powers that ME

Edited by Juzbear

Guest jakeyb77
3 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

Heresy, perhaps, but I am running my ME15 with MC phono through a  MF Nu-Vista integrated amp, using the tape out for a line level signal to the amp, so it is essentially just a phono amp. Doing this there is soft audible hiss with the ear next to the speaker out to about 20cm, and then it is totally inaudible. That seems pretty quiet to me. I haven’t run it direct for some time, but I don’t recal it being any different. I wonder if there is an issue with yours?

I’ve sent Ron a message to enquire... it may just be my matching to the cart. Maybe the gain needs adjustment. 

By the same token I need another one as I have two systems so can’t hurt to enquire as to what’s out there. 

Edited by jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77
4 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

I have run a PTG33, and certainly did not get any more noise. 

Yes definitely not the cart or table or cable as swapped all them over first 

Lot of love here for the RCM Sensor 2 here Jakey, it's a 5K phono that can be picked up so far in the classifieds here at around 2.2 to 2.5k depending on whether it's got the Furutech upgraded plug thingys.

Evil had one for a time after he ditched his M25(I think it was) and then through his mate here at SNA he got a much older phono(the one you mention) that suits his system, each to their own eh.

I've got the RCM 2. @Sierra has one too and a member up my way bought a brand newy (?) after listening to a selection of music via LP12/ Lyra Delos MC (on loan from a friend who set it up as I have no idea! Ask Evil) RCM2/Topaz 120 and then we swapped out the tubes and went Sansui via four amps?.

Noise floor?  Can't help there as my hearing isn't that acute but the degree of control over gain that you get with this phono when using ultra low LOMC carts has seen off every other phono I've had and in my system it's a winner.

Ask Sierra about his system as it's number two on my system's heard in Bleak City and was formerly number One but then I heard Lord Albumen of Egg, 2nd Earl Yngvi of Outer Melbourne's system.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
41 minutes ago, Luc said:

Lot of love here for the RCM Sensor 2 here Jakey, it's a 5K phono that can be picked up so far in the classifieds here at around 2.2 to 2.5k depending on whether it's got the Furutech upgraded plug thingys.

Evil had one for a time after he ditched his M25(I think it was) and then through his mate here at SNA he got a much older phono(the one you mention) that suits his system, each to their own eh.

I've got the RCM 2. @Sierra has one too and a member up my way bought a brand newy (?) after listening to a selection of music via LP12/ Lyra Delos MC (on loan from a friend who set it up as I have no idea! Ask Evil) RCM2/Topaz 120 and then we swapped out the tubes and went Sansui via four amps?.

Noise floor?  Can't help there as my hearing isn't that acute but the degree of control over gain that you get with this phono when using ultra low LOMC carts has seen off every other phono I've had and in my system it's a winner.

Ask Sierra about his system as it's number two on my system's heard in Bleak City and was formerly number One but then I heard Lord Albumen of Egg, 2nd Earl Yngvi of Outer Melbourne's system.

Thanks @Luc  very informative and given me lots of food for thought.I really appreciate the input. 

I can see there is a lot of love for it. 

Time to start some research and formulate a plan 

Borrow one Jake, if you can as there are a few that I know of in Melb. Short of that, Warwick would let you demo one at home I'm sure, plus he has contacts for the models he's sold and he quite often can match you up with a seller(at the right price I'd suggest).

@Telecine put me onto RCM phono's when I was having a torrid time trying to match a really really low LOMC cart from Dynavector. I had no amount of trouble trying to get the gain correct and I started off with several sub 1K models and then went up above that and then Tele put me onto the RCM's. I think he used language like: "RCM Prelude is fantastic but RCM Sensor 2 is endgame you'll not need to look elsewhere."

*Warwick has had it as his phono in his centrepiece system on display in @Marc 's show for the last two years running, 30 to 50k's worth of system both times.  Marc sold his recently and if he ever gets out of his bike induced bed holiday he'll chime in on just how good these are.

sierra will be along too I'd imagine as he's a happy camper and has several TT's and some serious kickass carts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rocky500 said:

I don’t mind admitting the Trilogy 907 is one phono stage that I would love to hear in my system even though I have a RCM Sensor Prelude, which has easily been the best phono stage I have had to date. 

Cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Lots of love here for the RCM Sensor 2 Jake.

Very configurable with cartridge loading and gain and very quiet.

You would probably be hard pressed to find one second hand at the 2k price point you are looking at given that retail new is now north of 5k.

Guest jakeyb77
9 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Funnily enough I got offered one this morning. 

I have decided to buy the Musical Surroundings one and see how that goes. If my appetite isn’t satisfied I will look at these. It was a long term shoot anyway. Just building opinions for research