Jump to content

cafe67

Best 3D movie or implementation of 3D in a movie.

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Does not matter how many wonderful 3D effects Avatar has, it cannot hide the fact it's one of the worst movies ever made.

  Script is a bad copy of Pocahontas and acting so so wooden.

Some of the acting can certainly be criticized. (For example, I found Sam Worthington's attempt at an American accent when playing Jake Sully not all that convincing.)

However the 3D effects, with the skilled guidance of director James Cameron,  were spectacular. The success of these effects in this one film, launched the modern era of 3D. Cameron is the father of the modern 3D movie.

 

I might also mention that the post-production conversion of Titanic (1997) under Cameron's guidance, released in 2012, set a very high standard for post production 3D. I found the 3D relief in Kate Winslet's face in close-ups uncanny. It was like watching genuine 3D shot with a stereoscopic camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MLXXX, I was under the impression that there are no 4K 3D tvs available. I also love 3D. I have a Panasonic 65 in plasma 3D tv. Late last year I bought a 75 in Panasonic LED 3D tv as a backup in case the plasma died. I have over 100 3D blu ray discs and would hate it if I coudnt watch them .Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MLXXX said:

Some of the acting can certainly be criticized. (For example, I found Sam Worthington's attempt at an American accent when playing Jake Sully not all that convincing.)

However the 3D effects, with the skilled guidance of director James Cameron,  were spectacular. The success of these effects in this one film, launched the modern era of 3D. Cameron is the father of the modern 3D movie.

 

I might also mention that the post-production conversion of Titanic (1997) under Cameron's guidance, released in 2012, set a very high standard for post production 3D. I found the 3D relief in Kate Winslet's face in close-ups uncanny. It was like watching genuine 3D shot with a stereoscopic camera.

Also Her Big Hat when She is about to board Titanic and the first time engines pistons start firing......3D was very well done....In fact 3D on the T2 Judgement day is also good.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, metal beat said:

Does not matter how many wonderful 3D effects Avatar has, it cannot hide the fact it's one of the worst movies ever made.

  Script is a bad copy of Pocahontas and acting so so wooden.

 

  I prefer the 3d special effects of Friday the 13th vs anything in Avatar.

 

The 3D in Mad Max fury road was pretty good.

You go hand your man card in right now 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gillmaverick said:

Also Her Big Hat when She is about to board Titanic and the first time engines pistons start firing......3D was very well done....In fact 3D on the T2 Judgement day is also good.....

Your mentioning of the engine pistons reminds me how very impressive I found that in the Titanic 3D conversion.

(I had looked forward to the T2 Judgment Day 3D conversion with great anticipation, it being one of my favourite movies. However it didn't impress me as much as the Titanic conversion. And I was disappointed at the decision to use the shorter theatrical cut version for the steel works confrontation at the end of the movie.) 

 

2 hours ago, bones28643 said:

Hi MLXXX, I was under the impression that there are no 4K 3D tvs available. I also love 3D. I have a Panasonic 65 in plasma 3D tv. Late last year I bought a 75 in Panasonic LED 3D tv as a backup in case the plasma died. I have over 100 3D blu ray discs and would hate it if I coudnt watch them .Cheers.

Yes it is very unfortunate that the manufacturers no longer provide 3D as an option for consumer 4K TVs. I have a 2015 model Sony 4K LCD TV that uses passive 3D technology. However its crosstalk performance is poor.

 

These days I use a projector (a BenQ W2000) for serious watching of  3D. There is quite a range of 3D home projectors available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I use a projector now too. A Sony 4k one. It is so good for watching 3d, 115" screen.

 

I've been watching so many since I jot it finished a year ago, and have been adding Atmos to a lot of them that had it skipped.

 

It is hard to pick a fav. It is hard separate the 3D movie I've enjoyed the most vs the 3D presentation. A really nice natural looking, and sounding one was Blade Runner 2049, although a lot people seem to complain it is "weak". Maybe, but it is natural looking. I loved The Walk, Gravity. 

 

Avatar I've been meaning to watch on it, but I'm not that big a fan of the movie, so keep watching other movies over it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Journey to the Centre of the Earth has amazing depth and pop out effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've got well over 100 3D titles and still buy them when available, although the vast majority now days are conversions, rather than shot as 3D from the start using separate cameras.

 

Avatar is still pretty much the benchmark 3D title, I'd say Ridley Scott's ALIEN prequel Prometheus would be a close second.

'Passengers' was pretty good in 3D.

 

Most of the Animation 3D titles are pretty good, the 'How to Save your Dragon' 'Despicable ME / Minions' series etc being among the best.

 

Things aren't so clear cut with other post shooting 3D conversions of none animated material, 'The Green Lantern' is a very good 3D conversion, where's the later made 'Dr Strange' is one of the worst.

'Fantastic Beasts and where to find them' is one of the better new 3D movies, I bought the sequel yesterday and have yet to watch it, but I suspect it will be the same quality.

 

A lot of the Marvel movies can vary in quality, it depends on just how much bright highlights are in a dark scene at the same time, that usually makes any crosstalk far more visible [ghosting around subjects], also scenes where there is a large depth of field and a lot going on in the background can cause the same thing [It's what made Dr Strange so bad]

 

As for the Star Wars movies that have 3D versions, well Rouge One, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are all pretty good, where SOLO isn't [It even looks bad in 2D, very muted colours and a dull overall look to the movie]

 

There are few 3D Bluray titles coming out over March/ April, the Fantastic Beasts sequel came out yesterday, you have 'Mortal Engines' out on the 20th March, How to Train Your Dragon- The hidden world on 10th April and Aquaman on the 20th April, there is a 3D version of the last 'Grinch' movie out in this time frame as well.

It seems 3D movies are getting harder to find as well, some movies that have been 3D at the cinema are not making it as 3D Bluray titles, at least not in all regions, Ralph Breaks the Internet being one example, it's being released as a 3D title in the UK but not here.

Same thing happened with Valerian and the city of a thousand planets, I ended up having to import that 3D version, thankfully it was a good conversion, so worth the effort.

Edited by Tweaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bris007 said:

Journey to the Centre of the Earth has amazing depth and pop out effects.

Yes, definitely! I watched that movie and the sequel on Saturday, actually, in a marathon. On my projector. Just awesome, particularly the 3d in #1. Fun movies. I wish they made the third one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/02/2019 at 12:12 AM, MLXXX said:

Your mentioning of the engine pistons reminds me how very impressive I found that in the Titanic 3D conversion.

(I had looked forward to the T2 Judgment Day 3D conversion with great anticipation, it being one of my favourite movies. However it didn't impress me as much as the Titanic conversion. And I was disappointed at the decision to use the shorter theatrical cut version for the steel works confrontation at the end of the movie.) 

 

Yes it is very unfortunate that the manufacturers no longer provide 3D as an option for consumer 4K TVs. I have a 2015 model Sony 4K LCD TV that uses passive 3D technology. However its crosstalk performance is poor.

 

These days I use a projector (a BenQ W2000) for serious watching of  3D. There is quite a range of 3D home projectors available.

I was lucky, I seemed to be in the market in Nov 2017 for a new 4K TV just as the last of the Panasonic EX780a range were selling, which are not only UHD 4K but 3D capable.

I had been putting the money aside for a JVC PJ to replace my aging Sony PJ, but I got such a good deal on the 65" Panasonic I would have been mad to not take it....I got a Panasonic 4K disc player thrown in as well. :)

The sales person thought I was mad when I said a 3D capable TV was a high priority for me, especially when I told him my budget, he tried to get me to buy the top of the range OLED.......as I do a LOT of gaming, OLED was out of the question anyway due to burn-in issues with static images, besides, I have my own calibration equipment and managed to get the Panasonic looking 95% as good as the $7K OLED he was trying to sell me.

 

I will admit, the Bigger the screen the better with 3D, and ultimately a PJ will be the best for 3D, but a 65" TV isn't that far behind if sitting the correct distance from it, it's certainly a brighter picture than a PJ, especially if you have a light controlled room already like I do.

If you have a 3D capable screen with a fast enough refresh rate, you should try gaming in 3D , it can crap on VR, and you don't get the motion sickness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...