pwstereo

3RRR reception in East Gippsland?

20 hours ago, surprisetech said:

Wow, that's going to be a challenge.

However, if your loop gets some reception, then the tuned Yagi might do the job. You could also try adding a good quality VHF masthead amp if the Yagi doesn't quite get you there.

Make sure the antenna impedance matches the tuners antenna input impedance

Yes, it is a challenge 🙂

I built the 6 element Yagi, it has a folded dipole as the driven element, so a 300 Ohm feedpoint impedance, that is connected to the RG6 coax by a balun, so impedance and balanced to unbalanced is taken care of.

I propped it up on my back porch on a bargeboard mount (just sitting on the concrete and resting in the corner of the handrailing), so the antenna was about 2 metres above the concrete and it was very close to metal window and door frames on one side.

Connected to the Denon receiver I had very noisy results, but could understand talking and music easily enough. Tried it on the Rotel and it was slightly better.

I'm going to need a bigger mast, and to get it clear of the house.

Back in the days of VHF TV, people here used 30 and 50 foot masts with phased array antennas to receive Melbourne TV from Mt Dandenong, but the transmitter power of those was way more than a community FM station like RRR or PBS. I'm still hopeful, but I know it will be a challenge.

I did make an enquiry about a masthead amp that someone on these forums was making and tuning to particular bands, but have not heard any news about how succesful they were in practice.

Some further experiments were conducted today.

I found a 30 foot telescopic mast, so I mounted the antenna at the top and extended the top section (so I had a 20 foot mast).

I walked it up against the back porch and secured it temporarily (nice windless day) to the porch railing.

The antenna was now well clear of any part of the house and I was able to rotate it easily from the back porch.

On the Rotel tuner I had 1 out of 5 signal strength LEDs lit for 3RRR, and a listenable but noisy mono signal, it wasn't enough to open the muting or get stereo.

I tried other Melbourne FM stations and with the exception of 3JJJ they were all similar in strength and sound quality to 3RRR, (3JJJ on the Melbourne frequency would show 3 LEDs and was much stronger than any other station).

So, I'm a bit more hopeful that with a masthead preamp and the 30 foot mast properly erected I might get listenable 3RRR.

Edited by pwstereo
spelling

On 23/02/2019 at 8:55 AM, pwstereo said:

I did make an enquiry about a masthead amp that someone on these forums was making and tuning to particular bands, but have not heard any news about how succesful they were in practice.

Yes, I put my hand up for one of those too.

4 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

Yes, I put my hand up for one of those too.

So you didn't hear any more or get one?

I've been looking at the commercial amps like Kingray, but none seems specially made for the FM broadcast band. Many of the TV ones seem to actually have blocking filters for the FM band, although a couple of models had a jumper you could move to pass and amplify the FM band.

On 15/02/2019 at 8:57 PM, proftournesol said:

I certainly don't get reception in the Ovens Valley but just stream it. Have you good enough internet for that option?

Last night I tried streaming 3RRR, using their high bitrate option, it cut out a few times, then I repeatedly got server errors instead of the player in my browser window. So I'm thinking their streaming isn't too reliable. I had previously used the high bitrate stream a few times and it was OK.

I've never had issues with streaming that weren't issues at my end

3 hours ago, pwstereo said:

So you didn't hear any more or get one?

I've been looking at the commercial amps like Kingray, but none seems specially made for the FM broadcast band. Many of the TV ones seem to actually have blocking filters for the FM band, although a couple of models had a jumper you could move to pass and amplify the FM band.

No, didn't hear any more and forgot to follow up.

I couldn't find any dedicated FM band masthead amps either, so I used a Kingray MHW25FE with the FM trap disabled and let the antenna and tuner do the filtering.  It's the simplest model with one input and one output and will give you at least 22dB gain across the whole FM band.

Having gone to the effort of constructing the yagi, I do hope a masthead amp will help, but do be aware that there is a point where the ratio of wanted signal to in-channel noise is so poor that a masthead amp may not help because it is going to boost the in-channel noise and the signal equally.

Which side of that line you reside on remains to be seen!

I cut out all the "middle men" in transmission and went in person to Jon Von Goes annual RRR BBQ live to air special at CERES environment park on Sunday, fortunately I live closeby! Beer in hand and experienced the bands live!!

Much hilarity ensued!

Tim Chuma will have his photos up soon

http://photos.timchuma.com/

https://www.facebook.com/timchumaphotography/

play back the live to air, in the second hour the band and guests really hit their stride!

https://www.rrr.org.au/explore/programs/jvg-radio-method

regards Ian