pwstereo

3RRR reception in East Gippsland?

Item: Receiving 3RRR fm station in East Gippsland

Price:
Item Condition:
Reason for selling:
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Why is a new post in this forum formatted as a For Sale ad?

I love my aussie, indie, and alternate music, I love 3RRR (and 3PBS to a lesser extent), and have recently moved from Melbourne to East Gippsland.

I made a loop antenna tuned to 102.7 MHz and can get a barely discernable output from my Denon AV receiver with it indoors.

Outdoors I can tell what song is playing with the loop held up high on my back (West facing) porch.

The loop is not weatherproof, it was just quickly built as a test.

I'm preparing to build a 6 element Yagi-Uda antenna tuned to 102.7 MHz for erection on the same bargeboard mount as my UHF TV antenna.

Before I do that, I'm wondering if anyone else in the Bairnsdale area has had any success in getting a quality output from the lower powered

Melbourne FM stations? If so, what antenna arrangements were used?

Thanks.

Pictures:

I certainly don't get reception in the Ovens Valley but just stream it. Have you good enough internet for that option?

Yes, can your Denon AV receiver get Internet radio?

If you do have "good enough internet for that option" then maybe buy a Sangean WFT3 to plug into your Denon?

Andy

Yes, I can stream it, but I’d rather get it as an fm transmission if I can.

a good Yagi essential and perhaps a better tuner?

www.fmtunerinfo.com

2 hours ago, Ian McP said:

Thanks Ian, I'd visited that site and checked the info there. The 6 element Yagi-Uda antenna I'm building should give me around 10 db gain.

From what I can see, the FM tuner in my Denon AV receiver has fairly good sensitivity, I do also have a Rotel tuner that I could try.

Some of the best performing tuners were made before the accountants got to company's budgets and can be had for not much moolah on ebay if you're quick. Back in the late 70's through to the early 80's models.

My late father had amazing reception in Mt Eliza with home built antennas and a just a mid range Rotel RT624.

One of my fave magazines Audio had an equipment directory published in each October issue. Here you could check many tuners' sensitivities and other specs, a handy guide. You can find many archived here:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Audio-Magazine.htm

Hifi Engine is an excellent source for user and service manuals

https://www.hifiengine.com/

I've been a die hard PBS and RRR listener since the late 70's! One of my fave shows just finished a few hours ago today.

Black Wax on PBS, prefer listening to it live however on demand handy when you miss an episode

https://www.pbsfm.org.au/blackwax

regards Ian

The Rotel tuner I have is the RT-850A and it seems to have very good sensitivity, it's from 1990 I think.

RRR and PBS are very good, I've learnt of a lot of new music from listening over the years.

On 15/02/2019 at 5:02 PM, pwstereo said:

Item: Receiving 3RRR fm station in East Gippsland

Price:
Item Condition:
Reason for selling:
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Why is a new post in this forum formatted as a For Sale ad?

I love my aussie, indie, and alternate music, I love 3RRR (and 3PBS to a lesser extent), and have recently moved from Melbourne to East Gippsland.

I made a loop antenna tuned to 102.7 MHz and can get a barely discernable output from my Denon AV receiver with it indoors.

Outdoors I can tell what song is playing with the loop held up high on my back (West facing) porch.

The loop is not weatherproof, it was just quickly built as a test.

I'm preparing to build a 6 element Yagi-Uda antenna tuned to 102.7 MHz for erection on the same bargeboard mount as my UHF TV antenna.

Before I do that, I'm wondering if anyone else in the Bairnsdale area has had any success in getting a quality output from the lower powered

Melbourne FM stations? If so, what antenna arrangements were used?

Thanks.
Pictures:

Wow, that's going to be a challenge.

I struggle to get full quieting at Gembrook when the weather isn't favourable.

However, if your loop gets some reception, then the tuned Yagi might do the job. You could also try adding a good quality VHF masthead amp if the Yagi doesn't quite get you there.

Make sure the antenna impedance matches the tuners antenna input impedance

I feel for you.  I spent a lot of weekends up at Stawell last year sorting out Mum & Dad's place after they went into care, and really missed my PBS & RRR weekend listening.  JJ and SBS Chill via their set-top box had to be my substitute.

Your RT-850A does have excellent sensitivity specs.  I had an RX-850 Receiver in my garage for a while, and even it was quite good.  Only thing it lacks is a "Blend" (sometimes labelled "Hi-blend" or "NR") button which can be really useful for maintaining listenable stereo in fringe reception areas.  If you do consider another tuner, make sure it has that facility and matches or betters the sensitivity specs of your Rotel.

Keep us posted on your progress.