WPS ?

Guest Muon N'

@Grumpy Just so It's clear, is what you are after is to know if the connection to the TV is secure? Regardless of what it is called?

Just inquiring so I'm not searching later when It's not needed ;)

The TV is using whatever security scheme is configured for the wireless network.

Check the router configuration.    Ensure that is set as WPA2  (not WPA or WEP).

Achtung.    If you change the setting(s) for the security, all of your wireless devices will each need to be reconnected/reconfigured.    So perhaps, report back here if you find something in the router which doesn't look right.

31 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

@Grumpy Just so It's clear, is what you are after is to know if the connection to the TV is secure? Regardless of what it is called?

Just inquiring so I'm not searching later when It's not needed ;)

Yep! that is what l am asking.

I can choose either 2.4 , which has WPS or the 5ghz when l check my wifi connection around my local area - if you didn't know already , l am a computer - wifi DUMMY

15 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

The TV is using whatever security scheme is configured for the wireless network.

Check the router configuration.    Ensure that is set as WPA2  (not WPA or WEP).

Achtung.    If you change the setting(s) for the security, all of your wireless devices will each need to be reconnected/reconfigured.    So perhaps, report back here if you find something in the router which doesn't look right.

Ah !  found a setting that says it is WPA2-PSK

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

Yep! that is what l am asking.

I can choose either 2.4 , which has WPS or the 5ghz when l check my wifi connection around my local area - if you didn't know already , l am a computer - wifi DUMMY

That's all good, I think I made a rookie mistake and have updated my wifi adapter drivers and the NBN seems OK now, but will wait and see.

With your situation it's likely what Dave has posted and it sets automatically to WPA2, I normally set it myself in these situations but It's different when dealing with Routers/Modems supplied by ISP's as some things (settings) are automatic.

Edit: WPS is a setup protocol rather than a security setting like WPA/WPA2/WEP, it can be hacked via brute force attack. Now if I have those correct it is  used in 6these supplied modems/routers for ease of setup? I'm going to have a look at ours and maybe look at disabling WPS. might mean a manual setup is required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Edited by Muon N'

14 hours ago, Muon N' said:

WPS can be hacked via brute force attack

If you have tight security requirements (in which case you should be also securing devices inside your network), then use a good/big brand of router, and keep the firmware updated - as good routers will mitigate this (and this sort of) exploit.

As already mentioned, most people don't want/need WPS, or have it enabled by default.

Guest Muon N'

Still getting intermittent slow speeds and drop outs, attempted to do a speed test during one if these and it tested download but dropped out before testing upload.

Account is in house mate's name not mine so he'll call them tomorrow and get me to talk to them.

Speed test of NBN 17 feb.jpg

36 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Still getting intermittent slow speeds

The fact that you also have low ping (at the same time as low speed) is somewhat unusual.

Does the issue persist when not using wifi?

Is there a computer/device that is 'stealing' all the bandwidth? (eg. uploading or downloading something continuously)

Guest Muon N'
8 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

The fact that you also have low ping (at the same time as low speed) is somewhat unusual.

Does the issue persist when not using wifi?

Is there a computer/device that is 'stealing' all the bandwidth? (eg. uploading or downloading something continuously)

The ping gets lower at these times, there are just 2 PC's on the network only, mine and the flat mate's. He doesn't download or upload anything and just watches SBS on demand and ABC iView...maybe down loads some podcasts, and the only things I do is watch Netflix, you tube vids (no account with youtube) and frequent a couple of forums this one being the main.

What do you mean not on wifi? that's the only way we can connect to the modem/router.

Edit: 6took around 40 sec's for that to post and ended with a browser 'Network Protocol Error' message.

Edited by Muon N'

16 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

The ping gets lower at these times

At which times?

Edit: 6took around 40 sec's for that to post and ended with a browser 'Network Protocol Error' message.

Talk to your ISP first to make sure there's no obvious issue, before bothering with any troubleshooting like below ... but a ping of 11ms, will mean it's an unusual ISP fault, or on your end.

He doesn't download or upload anything

If you are having issues, then it is wise to check the computers to ensure this is true.

There may be program(s) on the computer (eg. cloud storage, file sharing, etc.) which are using the network.    There may be other devices on the network you are unaware of (phones?)

What do you mean not on wifi? that's the only way we can connect to the modem/router.

You could connect a computer to the router using an ethernet cable.  This would remove wifi from the equation.

Guest Muon N'

1/when it is slow

2/already said we where doing this in the morning

3/no! no other devices, I would see them in the routers GUI, his smart phone is incomparable with the TP Link Router (infinite reboot loop) so is not connected, I don't connect mine to this network.

4/not without going out and buying a cable

13 hours ago, Muon N' said:

1/when it is slow

When the ping gets lower.... this means your connection is performing better.     If you have speeds getting lower (bad) and ping getting lower (good) ... then this is extremely unusual.

2/already said we where doing this in the morning

I know.  I suggest to "do some troubleshooting" .... but then suggested "call your ISP first - in case they say ohhh, there's the issue"

3/no! no other devices, I would see them in the routers GUI

:thumb:

4/not without going out and buying a cable

Given the confirmation that speeds go down, and internet ping also goes down ..... Then my suggestion that there is something wrong on your side of the router, gets even stronger.    There's a lot of possibilities, but you may be having strange wifi problems, or similar.    The few dollars for a cable, could be worth it.

Guest Muon N'

See how this pans out.

Edit: finally working.

All I will say is that I'll never recommend TPG.

Edited by Muon N'