WPS ?

With my WI-FI running into my TV  l can choose either a 2.4 or 5 khz setting , l use the 5khz, but l've noticed that only the 2.4 setting has WPS, not the 5.  Is this normal or safe to not have WPS ?

Thanks for any info you may leave.

Guest Muon N'

What is the make and model of the wifi router?

Edit: anyway, there should be security protocols for both bands, I usually set to both 2.4 and 5, then chose the compatible security protocol that will work with my device/devices. But without knowing the router It's hard to say what options are available.

Edited by Muon N'

WPS which is short for Wireless Protected Setup

Is a feature that allows 2 WPS devices to do the initial connect to each other automatically without you having to manually enter the infrastructure's WPA or WPA-PS2K key

If you don't actually use WPS or know what it does for that matter it's not of any concern whether it is disabled or enabled to be perfectly honest.

Edited by aasza
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I couldn't find any mention in setup guides so it makes sense It's automatic.

@Grizzly

The fact that you can use the 5GHz spectrum of the modem means you're doing a lot better than some Optus customers based on the tirades of frustrated Sagemcom owners on Optus's own support forums

If you logged into the modem's management GUI and had a look around you would probably find a setting that is disabled or has the wrong factory value set which is causing the WPS isssue. Lots of customers complaining they can't get 5GHz at all or it is sporadic at best. (something to do with the channels/spectrums that 5GHz can and can't use depending on what country the modem is being used in and settings that can't be changed in Optus installed firmware)

Personally I prefer WPS disabled as that means if someone ie.. a neighbour or friend comes over and wants to use your internet you'd have to manually tell them the passkey which gives you control over what devices can and can't connect to the modem.

I also like to change my broadcast SSID's to something less obvious than "Netgear1234 or iinet00012" as this makes your modem harder to pinpoint for the Wardrivers (War Driving is the act of driving around looking for open or vulnerable routers to connect to either for nefarious use or to just get free internet access)

I also go one step further and use a WiFi analyzer to scan the spectrum in the area to locate all channels that are in use by other modems, then set my WiFi channel to one that is either unused or has a low SNR (noise level) which helps reduce bandwidth/transmission issues.

P.S. If this has all gone completely over your head please disregard and carry on as you were.... pc-coffeeegjhc.gif

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'

@aasza  we just got our router from TPG (NBN HFC being connected tomorrow) I was worried it might be a Sagemcom as I have read some of those frustrating issues around the net, but It's a TP Link router.

Edit: @Grumpy you had a look around the GUI (user interface) for the router and couldn't see any settings as assza pointed out above?

Edited by Muon N'

28 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

@aasza  we just got our router from TPG (NBN HFC being connected tomorrow) I was worried it might be a Sagemcom as I have read some of those frustrating issues around the net, but It's a TP Link router.

Edit: @Grumpy you had a look around the GUI (user interface) for the router and couldn't see any settings as assza pointed out above?

Good luck with TPG mate. My next door neighbour signed up and can't connect. TPG said they would send a tech. The tech came out and said you have to get an NBN tech.

He's just been told 6 weeks.

I've had a pain in the ass problem too, but NBN time quotes were around 2 days.

Guest Muon N'
3 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Good luck with TPG mate. My next door neighbour signed up and can't connect. TPG said they would send a tech. The tech came out and said you have to get an NBN tech.

I've had a pain in the ass problem too, but NBN time quotes were around 2 days.

I have a few friends with TPG and had no issues, I guess there is no pattern where ISP's are concerned.

The fact it will not involve old copper wires helps IMO, but will see tomorrow ;)

2 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I have a few friends with TPG and had no issues, I guess there is no pattern where ISP's are concerned.

The fact it will not involve old copper wires helps IMO, but will see tomorrow ;)

Silly me. We have a different connection as well.☺️

Guest Muon N'
7 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Silly me. We have a different connection as well.☺️

Not silly at all!

This NBN is all over the place, It's a bloody mess just working it out. I gave up research around it as the more I read the more i needed to read  :lol:

20 hours ago, Wimbo said:

20 hours ago, Wimbo said:

NBN time quotes were around 2 days.

The agreed time for a "technician from NBN" to attend a network fault when requested by an ISP is typically < 48 business hours, even if you live in the middle of nowhere.

So, 6 weeks means he doesn't have an NBN "network fault"..... which means he's either not yet connected (and insall-type works are coming, these do take variable and significant time to complete) .... and/or that the ISP is just dicking around waiting for him to cancel and go elsewhere.

EDIT: .... or the ISP are sending their own technician, and that's actually how long their backlog is (6 weeks)... which would seem pretty pathetic, if so.

Edited by davewantsmoore

Guest Muon N'

OK, was some drilling, what a thing to wake too :lol:

And all done, very painless.

we were far from the ADSL router at the exchange here, and the test on Ookia resulted in a download of 3.xx Mbps and now on the TPG 10megabyte plan we get 8.13Mbps download , so a definite win.

So around 2.5x as fast as before on adsl.

Edit: off topic, sorry, Grumpy :blush:

Edited by Muon N'

19 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Not silly at all!

This NBN is all over the place, It's a bloody mess just working it out. I gave up research around it as the more I read the more i needed to read  :lol:

Your ISP is responsible for providing you the information, in a way you understand.

... and Yes.   The answers to all end-user questions are quite simple.     If people think it's overly complex, then someone is very much "doing it wrong".

Guest Muon N'
Just now, davewantsmoore said:

Your ISP is responsible for providing you the information, in a way you understand.

... and Yes.   The answers to all end-user questions are quite simple.     If people think it's overly complex, then someone is very much "doing it wrong".

Compared to what was originally proposed, It's a mess.

Don't agree, that's OK :)

56 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Compared to what was originally proposed, It's a mess.

Don't agree, that's OK :)

Putting aside the "mess" assessment for a minute .....    Can you even summarise what has changed between "then" and "now" that is relevant for an end user?

I'll get you started.

1.    Rather than 100% of people choosing a speed, and relying on their ISP to deliver that speed .....  Now, 71% of us get to do that .... and 29% (those on FTTN) have a situation where their service speed will depend on their wiring  (ie. not in direct control of their ISP)

2.    The cost and duration of the project has increased.    There are strong arguments to be made that this would have happened by about the same degree without the 2013 changes....  although it's true to say that there are some people who would have been connected in the past couple of years, who are now being connected in the next couple of years.... However, the core "done by 2021" hasn't changed.

3.    Some of the technology types introduced with the 2013 changes, mean that instead of having multiple (typically 4) separate ISPs available to the user .... You can only have one ISP active at any time.     I think this could be a big deal in the future .... but it is not an issue right now for 99.9% of us.

4.    .... and ?

Once you have summarised what has changed, we can evaluate whether it is mess or not.

Guest Muon N'

Just in case it helps someone reading at some point, one issue was is a conflict between the supplied TP Link Router and my flatmate's Kogan Agora 6+ phone, once connected the phone just starts a infinite reboot loop, apparently now a know issue but no support from Kogan. I'm going to see about using the old modem/router as only a router to get around this.

Guest Muon N'
3 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Umm ,  so l guess WPS isn't that important for my 5ghz modem.

Thanks for the info

Wish I could help :( there must be a way to confirm what security is active with your TV connection.

Maybe someone with a TV connection can help, unfortunately I don't, but I'll see if I can find something via google later on.

Might automatically set to WPA2-PSK.

Edited by Muon N'