Davo1972

JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Thread

Picked up my NX-7 yesterday and also installed by my installer yesterday. Asked my retailer to open it up and fire it up whilst I was there. Took in some test files kindly provided to me on here. There were no purple/blue (etc) bars on anywhere. The test patterns looked great. Did the quick pixel convergence test with built in pattern. Did not get to test noisy DI.

It took my installer about an hour or so to set up the mount and then mount the projector. Without changing anything, it already looked pretty darn amazing! Watched the race scene in Ready Player One as my first scene to watch.

Had a chat to him about calibration, he definitely recommends it and the one he recommends is Avical. Based in Melb so suits me.

I didn't get a whole lot of time to play yesterday (or today yet) but I did apply some settings suggested on here. I have the Panasonic UB-9000 so I added the 2 custom profiles for that also.

Quick question, I had the HDR10 profile selected and I watched something off Netflix on ATV 4K which was HD only (1080p), and when I pressed info on the NX7's remote the input showed the source was 4K resolution which it wasn't. Do I managed need to create and select an SDR profile? I thought it might detect the source and automatically do that (I know it does going from something else to HDR).

Sorry if a noob question, this is my first projector. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, cindernat said:

Quick question, I had the HDR10 profile selected and I watched something off Netflix on ATV 4K which was HD only (1080p), and when I pressed info on the NX7's remote the input showed the source was 4K resolution which it wasn't. Do I managed need to create and select an SDR profile? I thought it might detect the source and automatically do that (I know it does going from something else to HDR).

I think I understand your question, just being a 4k uhd projector it will be upsampling everything to 4k uhd. 

if you have a marantz pre processor in stream you can use the info button on that to see what what the incoming resolution/format actually is from source :)  your projector should autoselect SDR/HDR. keep in mind likely your ATV upsamples/scales everything ... 

great to hear all has gone well with your projector so far. good retailers are GOLD ... why I say SO often to pick who you deal with it really matters. sounds like you have chosen wisely :D 

definitely get a calibration done .... though just keep in mind usually the things can drift a bit in early lamp hours. some calibrators will say 200 hours some 400. some ok to do at 100 or less. either ways have no doubt it looks sensational already as setup by your installer :)

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

I think I understand your question, just being a 4k uhd projector it will be upsampling everything to 4k uhd. 

if you have a marantz pre processor in stream you can use the info button on that to see what what the incoming resolution/format actually is from source :)  your projector should autoselect SDR/HDR. keep in mind likely your ATV upsamples/scales everything ... 

great to hear all has gone well with your projector so far. good retailers are GOLD ... why I say SO often to pick who you deal with it really matters. sounds like you have chosen wisely :D 

definitely get a calibration done .... though just keep in mind usually the things can drift a bit in early lamp hours. some calibrators will say 200 hours some 400. some ok to do at 100 or less. either ways have no doubt it looks sensational already as setup by your installer :)

Yeah that does make sense. I do have a Marantz receiver so good point, I'll check it that way.

I couldn't recommend them more (Clef Hifi), they were fantastic. Reminds me I need to drop them a line to say the installation went well. Speaking of which my installer deserves a shout-out too, just not sure if he wants to be named as he doesn't do many installs these days. Off one of the other forums.

That's right yes, I will give it a good run in probably around 200 hours if I can before going down that path.

Really happy I bit the bullet and went with this line-up, I did um and ahhh for awhile and have been reading this and the AVS Forum daily. I have firmware 2.04 in case anyone was interested.

1 hour ago, cindernat said:

Really happy I bit the bullet and went with this line-up, I did um and ahhh for awhile and have been reading this and the AVS Forum daily. I have firmware 2.04 in case anyone was interested.

So glad you got one that works!!  Hopefully it continues to do so!! :)

Went to my dealer in Melbourne over the weekend to check my new projector myself plus have a look at content playing on it.

Wow, the image is incredible. Even the picture from Cable HD looked great. The channel we watched was motor racing on Foxtel HD and it handled the motion well.

All tests passed. Install booked for this week.

They have acquired 2 NX7s. One for me and one for the demo room. So if anyone is on the fence and lives in Melbourne I recommend taking a look. Dealer is Frankston HiFi.

Good to see more units arriving in Australia! Congrats to all the new owners :) 

Quick impressions:

- noticeable raised black level compared to my x7500

- ansi definitely takes a hit 

- longer start up time

- yellow DI bug

- why did they remove the automatic lens cover??

+ sharper than eshift

+ less mosquito noise 

+ mpc enhance now works with 4k60 source

+ hdr automap 

9 minutes ago, waikis said:

Quick impressions:

- noticeable raised black level compared to my x7500

- ansi definitely takes a hit 

- longer start up time

- yellow DI bug

- why did they remove the automatic lens cover??

+ sharper than eshift

+ less mosquito noise 

+ mpc enhance now works with 4k60 source

+ hdr automap 

agree d@mn shame that lens cap is gone... though think of on other hand ...one less thing to go kerplunk :D 

ps I thought they had improved the start up time ? 

pity the yellow bug is still there .... can understand the contrast hit... as they step one step forward probably 2 steps back...

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

agree d@mn shame that lens cap is gone... though think of on other hand ...one less thing to go kerplunk :D 

ps I thought they had improved the start up time ? 

pity the yellow bug is still there .... can understand the contrast hit... as they step one step forward probably 2 steps back...

It might have been improved, but still longer than my x7500 I think.

Pics:

Qbf: no issues here. Looks amazingly sharp.

Internal reflection: my reflection goes horizontally. Nothing on the verticals, probably because i'm lens shifting vertically. This image is exaggerated to show the reflection. It is nowhere this bad in reality.

(I am blocking the white box with my head so that the camera phone can focus easily on the reflections)

Red light??when I was testing the reflection, there is a red light coming through from the pj. I saw a post about this from c4h.

MY date is 03 2019.

FW 2.4

20190506_220731.jpg

20190506_221237.jpg

20190506_221146.jpg

39 minutes ago, dandlj said:

22b19c8c1e4fc4d0706da429b1eca9bf.jpg

045c3aa4356cb6f04239d608bc6ae107.jpg

It’s arrived!

Awesomeness!

1 hour ago, dandlj said:

22b19c8c1e4fc4d0706da429b1eca9bf.jpg

045c3aa4356cb6f04239d608bc6ae107.jpg

It’s arrived!

doesnt look like an elephant sat on it either ! so I think you will be in luck :D 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

..........😟

8bit.png

Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Nigel, is applicable to the NEW JVC series only??? I have never had an issue with past JVC,s , my Z1/RS4500 included.

I will have to check. You can't assume anything because I discovered that even when I was forcing the video signal to 12-Bit and 10-Bit the JVCs were still displaying everything OK, but I then discovered that this was because they were/are downconverting the video signal to 8-Bit, even though the feed was/is 10-Bit or 12-Bit...

I have both a JVC RS4500/Z1 and JVC RS540/X7900 here so will test these and confirm back smile.gif

Rather disturbing to say the least Woofer ; always assumed my 7000e was processing at 12 bit; hope its confirmed so B)

Edited by cwt