JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Thread

I hate when that happens happened to me with the vertical stripe issue and they couldn’t find the issue. I picked it up by the time I got home bam it happened straight away. Did you record visually and audio making the noise ?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well good timing as a new N7 arrived in time for moving on my x7000     UNPACKING Firstly I have to say JVC have VERY much beefed up the packaging on this new JVC series the polystyrene

Got it up but holy smoke it was heavy....... Currently running 1.18 firmware and needed 1 click red and blue to align. Colors are so bright and the blacks look so good. N7 must be bloody amazing. Pl

Another happy N7 owner here. Got mine about 6 weeks ago upgrading from a HD350. Absolutely blown away with the out of box performance. Bought mine aware of potential issues but have been a happy

1 minute ago, franin said:

I hate when that happens happened to me with the vertical stripe issue and they couldn’t find the issue. I picked it up by the time I got home bam it happened straight away. Did you record visually and audio making the noise ?

Yep super frustrating if that's the case.

I did record an audio mp3 (since my issue is iris noise) and sent it to them today, but they did say since I held the iPhone up to the projector to record it then of course going to hear it, but I explained can hear it clearly from the listening position, but hard to record that with my phone.

36 minutes ago, cindernat said:

So I am wondering people's thoughts on this. The projector has been with the repairer for nearly 1 week in regards to the noisy D.I., and I called them today. Apparently, they can't find anything wrong with it, they can't hear the iris and reckon it's one of the quietest they have heard. I am not sure if it's not doing what it's been doing at home (and has been fixed) or it is doing it, and what I've been hearing is normal.

They've said I am welcome to come and pick it up (super tempting as I am missing it) but at the same time I am worried that when I get it home, it's going to have the same issue. I could swear it wasn't making this noise when I first got it. What I am hoping they will allow is for me to go there and take a listen and rule out whether it's just not doing it, or whether it is, and that's just the way it's going to be.

How do you have the projector installed? Shelf mounted or inverted on a mount? I've seen reports of iris noise only occurring in one orientation.

Presume the repairer is only bench testing on a bench, not inverted. If you normally have the projector inverted on a mount, ask the repairer to test while it's inverted.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Quark said:

How do you have the projector installed? Shelf mounted or inverted on a mount? I've seen reports of iris noise only occurring in one orientation.

Presume the repairer is only bench testing on a bench, not inverted. If you normally have the projector inverted on a mount, ask the repairer to test while it's inverted.

That's a really good point actually. At home it's mounted using a Peerless mount and inverted. Worth mentioning to the guys for sure.

• Like 1

Nope they replied that they are already testing it upside down/mounted so that's not the issue. Confirmed they have not taken it apart as yet. Waiting to hear from JVC technical which can take days apparently.

12 minutes ago, cindernat said:

Nope they replied that they are already testing it upside down/mounted so that's not the issue. Confirmed they have not taken it apart as yet. Waiting to hear from JVC technical which can take days apparently.

That's a PITA. :(

Sorry to hear this.

I’d say you either need to be able to go there and listen together or ensure that if you get it home and you hear it again that they will relook at it.

The other option could be to take it to your dealer, who should have some sway with JVC, and they can confirm that it’s abnormal to JVC?

20 minutes ago, dandlj said:

Sorry to hear this.

I’d say you either need to be able to go there and listen together or ensure that if you get it home and you hear it again that they will relook at it.

The other option could be to take it to your dealer, who should have some sway with JVC, and they can confirm that it’s abnormal to JVC?

Thanks Dandlj. Rang the dealer in the first place and he just gave me the 3 JCV service centres around here to choose from.

Yep going in to listen to it on Monday arvo.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, dandlj said:

Yes absolutely ; the repairers should be cognisant of the iris problems oseas . Makes you wonder if they just checked the manual iris and not the algorithmic auto driven one :)

Its hard to believe they cant hear the ticking noise supplied by cindernat ; i can pick up the low level normal iris motor hum from the seat easily on my 7000 so distance isnt or shouldnt be a factor [ sounds like prevarication on there part possibly] 

good luck cindernat

On 16/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, cwt said:

Yes absolutely ; the repairers should be cognisant of the iris problems oseas . Makes you wonder if they just checked the manual iris and not the algorithmic auto driven one

They didn't even open it up and look at it, as they reckon it's not making any noise.

Picking it up this afternoon otherwise going to be without it whilst they shutdown til sometime in Jan.

Edited by cindernat

1 hour ago, Hansel said:

Bah that sucks. If it’s anything like mine it’s impossible to miss. 

They've said it's the quietest projector they've ever heard ... 

Well, agreed. It was before the D.I. noise started happening. I'm convinced it mustn't have done it for them.

4 hours ago, cindernat said:

They didn't even open it up and look at it, as they reckon it's not making any noise.

Picking it up this afternoon otherwise going to be without it whilst they shutdown til sometime in Jan.

JVC should certainly have more options to take these new series alternatively for service ; good word of mouth would help steer business .

JVP had to wait for a pcb motherboard from Japan before  my 7000 was fixed ; it can take a while so good move getting it back in the interim B)

19 hours ago, cwt said:

JVC should certainly have more options to take these new series alternatively for service ; good word of mouth would help steer business .

JVP had to wait for a pcb motherboard from Japan before  my 7000 was fixed ; it can take a while so good move getting it back in the interim B)

Yes, for sure. To me it seemed like the repairer was relying on JVC to tell them whether the noise was normal or not, and JVC (Australia) obviously only had the audio clip, and basically said take it to an authorised repairer for assessment - endless loop. 

Not sure what to do from here, will probably contact my retailer after Christmas.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your noisy iris. So far, I seem to have been lucky in that my N7 is working flawlessly out of the box.

High lamp mode, Iris set to auto 1. Picture during Episode 1 of Season 5 of The Expanse last night was incredible. It's literally the best picture quality I have ever seen - there's something about JVC images that pop like nothing else, probably due to the black levels associated with the D-ILA tech?

1 hour ago, scottrichardson said:

Sorry to hear of your noisy iris. So far, I seem to have been lucky in that my N7 is working flawlessly out of the box.

High lamp mode, Iris set to auto 1. Picture during Episode 1 of Season 5 of The Expanse last night was incredible. It's literally the best picture quality I have ever seen - there's something about JVC images that pop like nothing else, probably due to the black levels associated with the D-ILA tech?

That's great to hear. I'll add, so was mine. D.I. issue only came on after 1 year of ownership ... :( but I think I am just unlucky.

On 13/12/2020 at 9:32 AM, TrueRealist said:

I also just ordered a lamp (just the bulb) for the N7 from Beamer. Should be here in a few days by DHL. I found them great to deal with.

I received my bulb and unpacked it. Looks fine to me but I won't know until I install it when the current one which is at about 1000 hours needs changing. I bought the Beamer one to have on hand for when required. After reading waikis experience I will be sure to measure brightness of the current lamp soon, and compare to the replacement when I eventually fit it.

I will be most interested to hear what Beamers response is to you waikis. If Im not mistaken they are supposed to be genuine original manuf parts per their web site.

waikis, there are 2 versions of the bulb on the Beamer web site - Z154845OOB (Original bulb USHIO)  and the cheaper Z154846OB (Generic bulb). The web site states: "The USHIO NSHA265JK bulb is available in two options. You should buy an original bulb if your priority is maximum projection quality with a minimum probability of defects or premature dimming. Generic bulbs from a lesser-known manufacturer are much cheaper."  

It would be a good idea to double check that you did order and get the right one. My package is marked 00B as I ordered the original bulb. The bulb itself does not have the 00B marking on it though.

1 hour ago, cindernat said:

That's great to hear. I'll add, so was mine. D.I. issue only came on after 1 year of ownership ... :( but I think I am just unlucky.

No .. Unlucky is when you originally buy a Sony VPL760es laser and on the first day of operation there is dust on the panels, you then replace it with a second one the lens doesn't focus, you replace it again with the third and there is dust again on the panels. Mind you the condition of the boxes upon receiving them all look like B-Stock when I clearly paid for brand new. Then I got the option to upgrade to an 870es only to find there is an optical block issues which is mainly noticeable on bright white images and B&W movies. So from then on I moved on the NX9 and then had the Vertical Stripe issue. Took it too repairer and they couldn't replicate the issue and I got it back. Upon installing it the issue happened straight away.  Took it back they found out what board it was and then got it back. It was a PITA.

1 minute ago, franin said:

No .. Unlucky is when you originally buy a Sony VPL760es laser and on the first day of operation there is dust on the panels, you then replace it with a second one the lens doesn't focus, you replace it again with the third and there is dust again on the panels. Mind you the condition of the boxes upon receiving them all look like B-Stock when I clearly paid for brand new. Then I got the option to upgrade to an 870es only to find there is an optical block issues which is mainly noticeable on bright white images and B&W movies. So from then on I moved on the NX9 and then had the Vertical Stripe issue. Took it too repairer and they couldn't replicate the issue and I got it back. Upon installing it the issue happened straight away.  Took it back they found out what board it was and then got it back. It was a PITA.

You're right, that sounds like a nightmare!

On 23/12/2020 at 12:34 PM, TrueRealist said:

waikis, there are 2 versions of the bulb on the Beamer web site - Z154845OOB (Original bulb USHIO)  and the cheaper Z154846OB (Generic bulb). The web site states: "The USHIO NSHA265JK bulb is available in two options. You should buy an original bulb if your priority is maximum projection quality with a minimum probability of defects or premature dimming. Generic bulbs from a lesser-known manufacturer are much cheaper."  

It would be a good idea to double check that you did order and get the right one. My package is marked 00B as I ordered the original bulb. The bulb itself does not have the 00B marking on it though.

Hi True,

Yes, I've checked it and it has the 00B marking on the box.

Beamer has approved the replacement request, so I will send it back early Jan.

1 hour ago, waikis said:

Hi True,

Yes, I've checked it and it has the 00B marking on the box.

Beamer has approved the replacement request, so I will send it back early Jan.

Hmm, I hope mine doesn't have the same problem. Wont know until the current one needs replacing though. Please post your experience with the replacement bulb.

55 minutes ago, fire said:

HI everyone, just wandering has anyone installed the new firmware 3.5 yet? any improvement?

Yes, all went well. Just be aware that many settings (not all e.g. lens memory) are reset to defaults. TBH, the improvements are subtle to my ancient eyes, unlike the previous dynamic tone mapping update, which was a revelation.

36 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yes, all went well. Just be aware that many settings (not all e.g. lens memory) are reset to defaults. TBH, the improvements are subtle to my ancient eyes, unlike the previous dynamic tone mapping update, which was a revelation.

Thanks, my setup is MadvR +2080Ti+N7, I don't even use the HDR or tone mapping in N7, everything has been managed by Madvr+Kodi+ MPC-BE, which is really good. I doubt the update improve anything in my system at all.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, fire said:

Thanks, my setup is MadvR +2080Ti+N7, I don't even use the HDR or tone mapping in N7, everything has been managed by Madvr+Kodi+ MPC-BE, which is really good. I doubt the update improve anything in my system at all.

If your using madVR ...... DO NOT UPDATE to 3:50...    

You certainly do not need to update as your using madVR....plus there are several drawbacks with the 3:50 firmware...

3 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

If your using madVR ...... DO NOT UPDATE to 3:50...    

You certainly do not need to update as your using madVR....plus there are several drawbacks with the 3:50 firmware...

Thanks, that's what I thought so .

On 23/12/2020 at 1:18 PM, TrueRealist said:

I received my bulb and unpacked it. Looks fine to me but I won't know until I install it when the current one which is at about 1000 hours needs changing. I bought the Beamer one to have on hand for when required. After reading waikis experience I will be sure to measure brightness of the current lamp soon, and compare to the replacement when I eventually fit it.

I will be most interested to hear what Beamers response is to you waikis. If Im not mistaken they are supposed to be genuine original manuf parts per their web site.

Be aware that your warranty starts from time of purchase, so don't leave it in the box for 12months waiting for your original lamp to die without at least checking it for 10-20 hrs. If it's a dud after lying around for 12mths you'll have no recourse.

Edit: Sorry John, I note you mentioned that you were going to test it.

Edited by IMDave
21 minutes ago, IMDave said:

Be aware that your warranty starts from time of purchase, so don't leave it in the box for 12months waiting for your original lamp to die without at least checking it for 10-20 hrs. If it's a dud after lying around for 12mths you'll have no recourse.

Edit: Sorry John, I note you mentioned that you were going to test it.

Thanks for the reminder David. I might take my chances though depending partly on how waikis goes with the replacement bulb. It's just the hassle of having to pull out the bulb housing and swap out my original bulb twice just to test the spare Beamer one. I'm guessing my original bulb could go for perhaps another 1000+ hours yet before it needs replacing. 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Marc pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I just read the entire thread.

All 41 pages of triumph and drama, every post.

Paid for my N7 last week, just waiting on confirmation of delivery timeframe now.

Excited is an understatement.

• Like 3

Thanks to you guys I ordered the Peerless precision mount today, fantastic price online too.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, srsly2 said:

Thanks to you guys I ordered the Peerless precision mount today, fantastic price online too.

good move, they are an excellent mount :) congrats on the new projector ! i can imagine the excitement of getting one soon :D and hope with covid related delays and lack of stock its not too long a wait ! 

• Like 1

Cheers, apparently there's a few unpaid pre-orders in their system and i'm hoping since i've paid in full that I jump ahead.

Until then all I have is this thread lol

Just need to work out screen format now, seems like 16:9 is the popular choice

• Like 1

I'm about to join the N club as well with an N5 on it's way to me after the untimely demise of my X5000.

It will be a few weeks before I can set it up but when OzTheatre (Rich) said there was one available I jumped on it as I know there's a shortage of them in the US with people having orders placed in December still waiting.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Kazz said:

I'm about to join the N club as well with an N5 on it's way to me after the untimely demise of my X5000.

It will be a few weeks before I can set it up but when OzTheatre (Rich) said there was one available I jumped on it as I know there's a shortage of them in the US with people having orders placed in December still waiting.

I guess there is no more available in Aus ?

8 minutes ago, franin said:

I guess there is no more available in Aus ?

Apparently Mar/Apr but the way  things are with trying to get goods to Aus because of COVID, I wasn't turning this one down.

• Like 1