Sign in to follow this  
Davo1972

JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Thread

5 minutes ago, fire said:

I did read the manual which says you have to move it to good position for reception. 7da198771d489219083738c35876bb46.jpg

thats something  with IR.... RF cured that where can even walk out the room :D and be watching from the next while grabbing a snack. other thing IR used to do was it blasts the room with IR which i found blocked all the remotes had to go right upto and shield the remote and receiver from the IR blast :) no major shakes used IR with epson for quite a while :)

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

hi CWT the thing was no jvc model ever came with the emitters :D jvc were quite smart in this ... so you could use IR kit wiht any projector even current gen and so you could also retrofit any old model wiht even latest RF :) my JVC two generations before the x7000 was RF :) bought the kit wiht the projector so IR will go way before that I think we are talking x3/x30 ? 3D on these was pretty naff in any case .. really came good x35 onwards :) JVC x35 came out 7? years ago ? so be that model and ones after ... though am sure IR kits were still knocking around after that :D

That makes sense Al ; very clever marketing and was in the back of mind about how they upped the blanking frequency rate to improve the 3d from the x3's etc xD If I was better clued up I would not have paid through the nose for JVC tm ripoffs :blush:

RF cured that where can even walk out the room :D

That's when I got to rip out the xantech ir repeater system :)

For someone like me who does not watch that much of 3Ds, what a waste of money to upgrade RF emitter and glasses.  The most of time is for kids during  the family gathering once or twice a year. 

8 minutes ago, fire said:

For someone like me who does not watch that much of 3Ds, what a waste of money to upgrade RF emitter and glasses.  The most of time is for kids during  the family gathering once or twice a year. 

dont have to upgrade, just keep using what you have. as mentioned i myself have watched a lot of 3D with IR. RF does have some benefits though, and if someone were buying in new RF would be what to go for :) in anycase seems like have source for IR glasses ? 

Hi all
What are using to calibrate your projector ? The JVC recommended one or chromapure / Calman ?

Cheers

Just download the software from jvc website with meters they suggested.

Haven't tried it yet but I bought them already.

Now I’m feeling like a young boy ( at 63 ) waiting for a new toy. Just sold my x9900, thanks to the forum, and will be ordering N7 in the morning.
Just a quick query, will my anamorphic lens be compatible on N7?

1 hour ago, poppybob said:

Now I’m feeling like a young boy ( at 63 ) waiting for a new toy. Just sold my x9900, thanks to the forum, and will be ordering N7 in the morning.

cant answer your question re anamorphic as dont use one or experience with, but congrats and hope you have your n7 soon and it is all hoping for :)

Congrats on your new toy, won't regret it, I love my N7, another difference experience of watching movies, really enjoying the details.

2 hours ago, poppybob said:

Yes you can use with A-lens, but you should compare to zooming, being native 4K and more than bright enough over most projectors, zooming works just fine.

10 hours ago, poppybob said:

If your anamorphic lens has a wide enough aperture it might work. The N7 has quite a large diameter lens. I have a nice prismasonic lens that I used on my previous two JVC projectors but it’s too small for the N7. What kind of lens do you have? As far as I am aware, the only lens that is compatible with N5 N7 N9 is the later Panamorph model which will cost you about what you paid for your N7 🥴

If your 2.4:1 screen is not too big, has a bit of gain, and is in a light controlled room, you should be happy enough with your N7 without an anamorphic lens. I have an old 120 inch Majestic EVO3D screen with 1.26 gain and it is wonderful with my N7 with no anamorphic lens, especially with the new 3.1 firmware 🙂

Edited by TrueRealist

28 minutes ago, TrueRealist said:

The N7 has quite a large diameter lens.

N7 has the same lens as the previous E-Shift series..

like i mentioned with Apocalypse now UHD, while N7 is capable of some stunning picture quality, its worth checking out some rougher looking material to get a realistic appreciation how the projector handles a range of material.

I checked out one of my favourite DVD concerts (have a few DVD concerts) in Morcheeba Brixton to Beijing. It does look a bit rough in that mostly shot in dark  to contrasted lighting of the concert, with quite a bit of grain to noise. similarly there are certainly possible to see in some scenes interlacing lines, but all upscaling is being done in the player (ub9000) and i saw evidence of this in previous gen x7000 with ub900 as well. so not something isolated to this projector. but in any case might explore again settings in the ub9000 in the upscaling for DVD and also how well the oppo 205 tackles it next time as oppo have always been heroes when comes to upscaling.

anyways an enjoyable watch still and while PQ certainly gives some reminder how FAR blu-ray let alone uhd has come over the humble DVD, audio wise is still very respectable even with just DD5.1 and dolby surround up mixer doing its magic :)

few screen shots below that are pretty representative i think,

0I9A2766.jpeg

0I9A2761.jpeg

0I9A2764.jpeg

0I9A2765.jpeg

17 minutes ago, franin said:

Looks very good Al :)

thanks franin, definitely will check out with the oppo aswell as really curious with DVD, but in some ways i wish i still had one of the older oppo dvd only players eg the old 983H to see what one of those would do for DVD and its upscaling :D 

thanks franin, definitely will check out with the oppo aswell as really curious with DVD, but in some ways i wish i still had one of the older oppo dvd only players eg the old 983H to see what one of those would do for DVD and its upscaling [emoji3] 

Looks absolutely stunning. Man I can’t wait.

N7 has the same lens as the previous E-Shift series..

I couldn’t find any diameter specs on the x9900. I know the N7 is 65 mm

If your anamorphic lens has a wide enough aperture it might work. The N7 has quite a large diameter lens. I have a nice prismasonic lens that I used on my previous two JVC projectors but it’s too small for the N7. What kind of lens do you have? As far as I am aware, the only lens that is compatible with N5 N7 N9 is the later Panamorph model which will cost you about what you paid for your N7 🥴

If your 2.4:1 screen is not too big, has a bit of gain, and is in a light controlled room, you should be happy enough with your N7 without an anamorphic lens. I have an old 120 inch Majestic EVO3D screen with 1.26 gain and it is wonderful with my N7 with no anamorphic lens, especially with the new 3.1 firmware [emoji846]

Thanks for your help, it’s a Panamorph but at least 3 years old. I do have a completely darkened room, dark curtains all around black carpet and ceiling painted black so should be fine without. I’m guessing that the new N7 might come with the 3.1 firmware update. After reading some of the comments sounds very good. I think Al said it was as good as a new pj update.

9 hours ago, poppybob said:

I couldn’t find any diameter specs on the x9900. I know the N7 is 65 mm

As i said...the N5 and N7 use the exact same lens as the previous E-Shift series ( 65mm) 

13 hours ago, betty boop said:

thanks franin, definitely will check out with the oppo aswell as really curious with DVD, but in some ways i wish i still had one of the older oppo dvd only players eg the old 983H to see what one of those would do for DVD and its upscaling :D 

Do you still have your old Toshi HD-DVD EX1?

That was one of the best upscalers ever made.......

14 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

Do you still have your old Toshi HD-DVD EX1?

That was one of the best upscalers ever made.......

long gone nev with the decline of hd-dvd i moved it on pretty much overnight :D i had the top line one and remember some years later someone contacting me was 3rd or 4th owner to tell me hey al, just to let you know ive got it and its going great still :D  anyways tried the oppo 205 last night its no greatly different really in upscaling that i can see with DVD. note as per previous gen jvc they dont accept native dvd resolution so cant just output native and let the jvc deal with it. perhaps i'll put a wtb for an oppo  983h and see what comes up...

watched top end wedding last night on blu-ray, a bit camp/corny in parts but greatly a pretty light hearted watch. but stunning visuals in picture quality faces, scenery, beautiful photography and comes up an utter stunning treat on the jvc with such a natural and gorgeous look. even just simple movie such as this is such an enjoying watch on the jvc n7 :) 

71w0CTU-EYL._SL1285_.jpg

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

long gone nev with the decline of hd-dvd i moved it on pretty much overnight :D i had the top line one...

Still got mine*, was one of the first in the country, it still gets a run on occasion when I decide there's a particular movie I want to watch and discover it's in the 'other format' on the shelf, I mean why bother replacing it if it's already HD?......

A shame you're not in Sydney, you could have given it whirl to see if it was any different!

* Also still got an EP-10 & an unopened X-Box drive.....

37 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

Still got mine*, was one of the first in the country, it still gets a run on occasion when I decide there's a particular movie I want to watch and discover it's in the 'other format' on the shelf, I mean why bother replacing it if it's already HD?......

A shame you're not in Sydney, you could have given it whirl to see if it was any different!

* Also still got an EP-10 & an unopened X-Box drive.....

thanks nevyn for the offer, and great to hear still going strong. they were very well made players thats for sure :) indeed you are right some titles never made it across to blu, and wasindeed cause for some repurchase ! 

Hi guys
With the N7 & N9 is there fans that suck air from the back and release at the front ?

Cheers