Davo1972

JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Thread

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

OK, update done. I haven't watched many UHD discs on the N5 so hard to tell how much of a difference the new firmware makes. Watched Wonder Woman tonight and was very impressed with the image.

wonder woman has some great scenes. good reminder for me to check out. there is a good smoke / mist scene in it that caused banding on previous jvc if used the mpc. so will check effect on that. 

Which HDR level are people using?

Auto myself also........
Forza horizon 4 looked stunning on the Xbox x also.

some good back and forth in understanding the difference between auto, high med and low with the HDR level control.

the link in question is with auto frame adapt that the manual describes uses meta data somehow.. dave vaughn on avs has had a note back from chris at JVC saying.

"He got back to me quickly and let me know that Auto is "different" than before the update, but isn't sure how. He's going to get clarification and I'll let everyone know what he says."

also this from mike garett and he might be on the money ! 

"I am pretty sure Auto is still using DTM. My guess is it is just using the metadata to automaticlly select low, medium or high. Problem is, what does auto default to if no metadata and if the metadata is wrong, then it will select the wrong setting. If you have a small screen or a high gain screen you can use low, but most people here in the US would be better served using medium or high."

i am really curious to know as it sure as heck isnt same as before :D the catch out id suggest is still where there is no meta data.... which is where low med high comes in ... with suggestions those with smaller brighter screens go with low, and those with say large and not so much in brightness go with high... definitely something for me to explore more between the options ....

there are couple of great captures of HDR10 vs frame adapt auto Dave mathews on AVS has loaded. not hi res shots or anything, just with a smart phone but as far as what they are doing for HDR I think they are a good indicator...

HDR10.jpg

Frame%20Adapt%20Auto.jpg

confirmed by dave vaughn - looks like mike G was right... choosing best frame by frame or scene by scene DTM algorithm... of course when there is no meta data ...what does it do... suspect this is where low med high comes in :) 

OK...unofficially, "Auto" reads the metadata and chooses the "best" (either low, medium, or high) DTM algorithm. I'll try and test what happens with a disc that has bad Metadata (or none) and see how it does. I should know more tomorrow.

So people who are using a Panasonic 820/9000, are you using the optimizer in the settings or turning it off.
Thanks

1 minute ago, Michael391 said:

So people who are using a Panasonic 820/9000, are you using the optimizer in the settings or turning it off.
Thanks

I'm using the pana 9000. you must turn off the pana HDR optimser, as with optimiser in the oppo if happened to be using it

from blee on AVS with a comparison madvr vs jvc DTM, not something relevant for me as not using madvr or have a nvidia shield, but suspect might be good to know for someone :D 

Just did a test with Mortal Engines with MadVR and the DTM with my Nvidia Shield. The DTM by JVC is so close to me that I could barely tell the difference.

Quite liking it on high myself. Auto seems to have on the low mode that I’ve noticed so far.
Definitely better once I figured out how to turn the optimization off on the Panasonic.

IMG_3879.jpgIMG_3880.jpgIMG_3881.jpg

Low medium high....... settings a lot better today

Quite liking it on high myself. Auto seems to have on the low mode that I’ve noticed so far.
Definitely better once I figured out how to turn the optimization off on the Panasonic.

Same here, running on high

some more explanations from MikeG on AVS on how things are working with frame adapt HDR on the JVCs

Frame adapt

When in auto mode, it looks at frames or scenes and selects what it feels is most appropriate. So it will vary between low, medium and high throughout the movie.  So for images above 2,000 nits, it selects low. For images between 500 and 2,000 nits it selects medium and for images below 500 nits, it selects high.

Frame Adpt Menu
Static: This is for a fixed nit level, like with UB9000 with HDR Optimizer.

Frame by frame: as the name says, will analyze frame by frame for DTM.

Scene by Scene: as the name says, will analyze scene by scene for DTM.

Filter
Normal is no filter, Rec709 color space.
Wide is with BT2020 fiklter. DCI color space.

seems a few folk caught aback with the coffee grinder like noise, with the grinding of gears on first time boot up after the update. :D

bet still be caught aback even if know about it. :D  its sounds pretty viscous ! 

nothing to stress, just resetting all its self or something no doubt and all is well past that :) 

Just now, betty boop said:

seems a few folk caught aback with the coffee grinder like noise, with the grinding of gears on first time boot up after the update. :D

bet still be caught aback even if know about it. :D  its sounds pretty viscous ! 

nothing to stress, just resetting all its self or something no doubt and all is well past that :) 

I'd be fine with the coffee grinding noise if it spat out coffee :D

1 minute ago, oztheatre said:

I'd be fine with the coffee grinding noise if it spat out coffee :D

haha might have to make your own cuppa as i did and not rely on its grinding :D 

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

haha might have to make your own cuppa as i did and not rely on its grinding :D 

But Al, it's 4K coffee, it has 4 times more caffeine :hyper:

so this is now confirmed by two now both Dave Vaughn and MikeG on AVS, no doubt through their JVC source on how frame adapt works.

"Frame adapt

When in auto mode, it looks at frames or scenes and selects what it feels is most appropriate. So it will vary between low, medium and high throughout the movie.  So for images above 2,000 nits, it selects low. For images between 500 and 2,000 nits it selects medium and for images below 500 nits, it selects high.

Frame Adpt Menu
Static: This is for a fixed nit level, like with UB9000 with HDR Optimizer.

Frame by frame: as the name says, will analyze frame by frame for DTM.

Scene by Scene: as the name says, will analyze scene by scene for DTM.

Filter
Normal is no filter, Rec709 color space.
Wide is with BT2020 fiklter. DCI color space."

Good to see people are enjoying the new Frame Adapt goodness that has come with the latest firmware.

Really liking it so far and the price of entry is great (free!) compared to other options out there *cough* Lumagen, MadVR Envy *cough*. Although I figure it probably won't be as good as the dedicated solutions for DTM (and yes I understand Lumagen and MadVR Envy do a lot more than just DTM), as a free update it's awesome. I've found it especially improves the visible detail in the dark scenes in movies (where I found I was playing with the ATM sliders during movies). Watched MIB International and Brightburn so far, after I updated my N7. Really does make a difference to the image. I hope to test out Wonder Woman and Aquaman which I felt were difficult HDR tests for the projector when previously watching using the ATM. Plus there's all the Disney/Marvel movies with no HDR metadata to try out to see what difference it makes.

The settings for Frame Adapt I settled on: Medium, Frame by Frame, Wide.

10 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Good to see people are enjoying the new Frame Adapt goodness that has come with the latest firmware.

Really liking it so far and the price of entry is great (free!) compared to other options out there *cough* Lumagen, MadVR Envy *cough*. Although I figure it probably won't be as good as the dedicated solutions for DTM (and yes I understand Lumagen and MadVR Envy do a lot more than just DTM), as a free update it's awesome. I've found it especially improves the visible detail in the dark scenes in movies (where I found I was playing with the ATM sliders during movies). Watched MIB International and Brightburn so far, after I updated my N7. Really does make a difference to the image. I hope to test out Wonder Woman and Aquaman which I felt were difficult HDR tests for the projector when previously watching using the ATM. Plus there's all the Disney/Marvel movies with no HDR metadata to try out to see what difference it makes.

The settings for Frame Adapt I settled on: Medium, Frame by Frame, Wide.

glad enjoying the update davo, yourself as someone who kicked off this thread early this year, it is indeed great updates like this have come  through and free for kind of benefit it provides :)

looks lion king the new version when comes out here is worth checking out, good things working well with DTM on the JVC, post below from dave vaughn on avs,

I watched the remake of "The Lion King" last night and used "Auto" and found the picture to be stunning. The movie itself isn't as good as the original IMO, but the video quality is simply amazing. It's like watching Planet Earth but with a story that doesn't preach to you throughout the episode :)

Just hooked up the JVC emitter and Xpand 105 3D glasses and watched some Imax Under the Sea 3D, Avatar 3D, and Dredd 3D.  Pretty happy with it :)

9 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Just hooked up the JVC emitter and Xpand 105 3D glasses and watched some Imax Under the Sea 3D, Avatar 3D, and Dredd 3D.  Pretty happy with it :)

that Imax under the sea 3D is awesome spizz...thats the one following the turtle ? and with the fish in the room ? good to hear pretty happy with 3D on the n7 ... cant wait to check out :) 

On 09/10/2019 at 3:24 PM, betty boop said:

just gone with auto as per the jvc video, left as is. 

yes good point re games where there isnt any meta data this should be useful, same with 4k appletv where apparently meta data is a bit screwed at times. 

What frame adapt setting is recommended for HDR gaming?

Would a setting of "frame by frame" or "scene by scene" cause a  significant lag ?

Is it advisable to leave it on static for games ?

Logged in after a break and just noticed the new FW update.

So much info to digest and new settings to explore!

Watching the lights nervously.

Can't explain why I am so nervous about performing a FW update.

Just hooked up the JVC emitter and Xpand 105 3D glasses and watched some Imax Under the Sea 3D, Avatar 3D, and Dredd 3D.  Pretty happy with it [emoji4]

Gosh darn it...... I’m thinking of selling off all my 3D titles, but still thinking of holding onto them and getting the glasses and emitter.
Decisions decisions. Lol