Davo1972

JVC DLA-N5/DLA-N7/DLA-NX9 Owners Thread

6 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Yes, the last N7 that came here had the 2.01 software on it, sadly it was faulty so it's going back.

The firmware however, you're not allowed to do it yourself, apparently, if you live in Australia, the only way is to send to a service centre.. bizzare I know given the yanks are allowed to.. 

Funny though, if you click on support http://au.jvc.com/support/ - this link takes you to the firmware page in the USA.. But there is no warning for us here to not use it.. What is going on here? It's USB, did they not make it USB so we COULD do our own updates? Surely they don't want service centres billing them for updating the firmware? Plus there's that damage in transit risk too which would get them even more warranty claims.

I’ll be downloading the firmware and updating my N7 today.

2 hours ago, Davo1972 said:

I’ll be downloading the firmware and updating my N7 today.

Be careful!!!  One person i know of DID update the firmware without JVC Aus OK.  HE has an issue with the projector and because "He" updated the firmware himself  he now has a BIGGER issue with warranty.

8 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Yes, the last N7 that came here had the 2.01 software on it, sadly it was faulty so it's going back.

The firmware however, you're not allowed to do it yourself, apparently, if you live in Australia, the only way is to send to a service centre.. bizzare I know given the yanks are allowed to.. 

Funny though, if you click on support http://au.jvc.com/support/ - this link takes you to the firmware page in the USA.. But there is no warning for us here to not use it.. What is going on here? It's USB, did they not make it USB so we COULD do our own updates? Surely they don't want service centres billing them for updating the firmware? Plus there's that damage in transit risk too which would get them even more warranty claims.

I could do updates prior and have done on my previous gen jvc.  

I categorically will NOT be taking a HEAVY projector up/down packing/unpacking to take to a service centre (with possibility of damage in transit) and then doing without the projector just for an update can do via usb. you can tell them this OZ. not that JVC au give a d@mn I suspect for what inconvenience it might cause the end user.

I remember clearly a senior jvc person announcing the usb feature for firmware updates for more convenience for the customer . I'll find the video. Its not just the yanks. its the guys in germany who announced this.

JVC / panasonic pre ss release on their collaboration for HDR with dedicated profiles and automatic tone mapping for HDR content,

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consumer/jvc_panasonic.html 

note this relates to jvc N series and panasonics ub9000 und player.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JVC and Panasonic Collaborate
to Optimize Large-Screen HDR Performance

JVC projectors’ dedicated color profiles for Panasonic’s flagship 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player
provide automatic tone mapping of HDR content

LONG BEACH, CALIF., March 15, 2019 – JVC and Panasonic have collaborated to deliver the best possible HDR video by optimizing performance when Panasonic’s acclaimed top-end Ultra HD Blu-ray player is paired with a 2019 JVC native 4K D-ILA projector.

A key feature in Panasonic’s DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray player is the HDR Optimizer, which tone maps HDR10 content based on the metadata to match the capabilities of a display. To achieve optimum HDR image quality when the player is connected to a compatible JVC projector, users select one of two dedicated color profiles developed specifically for the Panasonic 4K Ultra HD player. The profiles work in conjunction with the player’s HDR Optimizer to deliver the best possible HDR images.

Several titles do not include MaxCLL and MaxFALL (HDR10 metadata). In those cases, the projectors’ dedicated color profile works with the Panasonic HDR Optimizer to deliver optimum HDR image quality.
The Panasonic DP-UB9000 has been widely praised as the gold standard among Ultra HD Blu-ray players, and its HDR Optimizer works beautifully with our projectors to deliver stunning HDR images,” said Fred Zecha, General Manager, Custom Installation Sales, JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation. “By including custom color profiles specifically designed for the Panasonic player, performance is further improved by optimizing HDR content for the player/projector pairing and the result is truly cinema-quality images.”

The JVC native 4K D-ILA projector and the UB9000 with its unique features are a great fit. We are very excited about this collaborative effort to bring consumers the best in home entertainment,” said Bill Voss, Business Development Manager, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. 

The Panasonic DP-UB9000 uses the company’s second generation Hollywood Cinema Experience (HCX) video processor, which includes the HDR Optimizer. Users select their display type from a player menu of options (OLED, High Brightness Projector, Basic Brightness Projector, LCD, etc.) and the player tone maps the content for that display. 

Pairing the player with a 2019 JVC native 4K D-ILA projector provides optimum HDR image quality by using one of the projector’s two DP-UB9000 color profiles. Using the JVC projectors’ Color Profile Settings, the user chooses either the “Pana_PQ_HL” (High Luminance Projector) or “Pana_PQ_BL” (Basic Luminance Projector) setting based on the corresponding HDR Display Type setting in the DP-UB9000. Which setting to choose depends on the user’s preference – the High Luminance Projector setting prioritizes image brightness; the Basic Luminance Projector setting prioritizes widest color gamut reproduction.

Opting to use both the JVC projectors’ dedicated Panasonic player color profiles and the 4K Ultra HD BD player’s HDR Optimizer results in a more realistic HDR image with more accurate gradation compared to what’s achieved using Auto Tone Mapping or HDR Optimizer alone.

For 2019 JVC D-ILA 4K projectors currently in use, the dedicated Panasonic DP-UB9000 color profiles will be available this month via a firmware upgrade, while projectors in production will be shipped with new version firmware.

The 2019 JVC projector line is comprised of six models in the Procision and Reference Series, and includes the DLA-NX9 and DLA-RS3000 with 8K e-shift technology. Model numbers and retail prices are:

DLA-NX9/DLA-RS3000 $17,999.95
DLA-NX7/DLA-RS2000  $7,999.95
DLA-NX5/DLA-RS1000  $5,999.95

About JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation
JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of JVCKENWOOD Corporation and is a leading developer of imaging, home and car entertainment and navigation products for the consumer market, two-way radio communications systems for public safety, private industry and amateur users, and video equipment for the broadcast and professional markets. For detailed information, call JVCKENWOOD USA at 1-800-582-5825 or visit us at http://us.jvckenwood.com, www.kenwoodusa.com and www.jvc.com.

About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company

Based in Newark, NJ, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is a division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation. The company offers a wide range of consumer solutions in the U.S. including LUMIX Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Blu-ray players, Home Audio, Technics, Cordless Phones, Home Appliances, Beauty, Grooming, Wellness and Personal Care products and more. Panasonic is included in the 2019 Global RepTrak® 100, an annual ranking of public perception toward the world’s top companies by the Reputation Institute.

Seriously. I just can't believe JVC australia would do that. If the rest of the world can DIY, why can't we? 

That would make me extremely angry if I was an owner. 

And possibly a deal breaker as a prospective buyer.

Who makes these decisions? 

1 hour ago, wooferocau said:

Be careful!!!  One person i know of DID update the firmware without JVC Aus OK.  HE has an issue with the projector and because "He" updated the firmware himself  he now has a BIGGER issue with warranty.

It all went well with no problems at all 😁 

The firmware update is extremely easy to do. Download the firmware, unzip the UD-B2A1 folder onto root directory of a USB drive, plug USB drive into projector, and select update firmware in the projector's menu. Took a bit over 20 mins to complete.

A quick check of boot up times for the projector, on button to D-ILA screen - 1.19 firmware at around 1min 55 secs, 2.01 firmware at around 1min 15secs. Admittedly this was a test this morning just before and just after updating the firmware, so I'm not sure if I can accept this as proof of an improvement.

The yellow tinge when using the dynamic iris is still present after the update to 2.01 🙁

I don't have a Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Blu-ray player to test the tone mapping updates. Thinking about getting one to replace my Oppo UDP-203, but probably not. I'd rather get a Lumagen Radiance Pro or madVR Envy sometime in the future, for dynamic tone mapping.

Also there is a new version of the Autocal software (ver 1.1). Hopefully a version that works properly this time🤣

Now if JVC can release a firmware update that fixes the yellow tinge when using the DI I'll be happy!

Ah, Rich, I saw photos on the AVS forum of that second N7 you got in, wow, looks really bad.

Damn, two defective units in a row...

Hopefully JVC can get their poo together and sort this out!

I'm sorta feeling lucky my unit has been fine (50 hours on it, no issues), but jeez I feel for you man...

10 hours ago, oztheatre said:

The very fact that support page does that means JVC dont have a leg to stand on. This is bullshit and would not hold up to an ounce of scrutiny from the ACCC.

Where IN THE BOX does is say you cannot update the firmware with official software?

This becomes a bigger joke by the minute.

No doubt down to whom ever is front man at jvc AU/nz these days. Clearly a turnip with no regard for customer service or what is in best interest of customer. 

I notice manni having some sucess with autocal on new series. Though can anyone link to his thread here, not having any luck trying to do that ! Keep getting a avs archive or something. ie actual thread on avs which he seems to have some aversion linking to...